Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX Faded Screen...Fast Return

LawrencetheMDer

WOW! Talk about fast customer service with my CTX 3030 – Although it took 8 days for Minelab to respond to my initial e-mail about my CTX 3030 (you should call them instead), I immediately got a RMA number and within 3 days had a repaired machine at my doorstep. The repairs were enlightening.

I’ve had my CTX for about 2 ½ yrs and most of my hunting is in the Gulf (i.e., salt water) between Dec and May of each year. Based on my Excel worksheet for the past 3 yrs, I’ve used my CTX for 781 total hrs with about 400 hrs surf hunting in 2 – 6 feet of water (some w a snorkel, wetsuit, weights). The CTX 3030 is good for 10 ft (3 M). After each hunt, I religiously cleaned and spray-off my detector and all other hunting items – I really soak them (scoop, gloves, wetsuit, boots, found items). Also, with each hunt I carefully inspect the battery seal on the CTX to ensure no water intrusion.

I first noticed a problem with the CTX when I was hunting my back yard this summer when 2 vertical black lines appeared ½” left and right of center. Soon afterwards, the screen started to fade and had a rainbow-type effect as the screen faded-out. Otherwise, the detector acted normally, at least as far as sounds go from my wired waterproof headphones.

In addition to the failed screen, I discovered that the detector had additional problems as noted on the Minelab Ticket:

“…water had ingress behind the speaker and severely corroded it. Also, the corrosion had damaged the one way valve in the rear control housing, so this will need replaced as well.”

All costs, except my postage to Minelab, was covered under warranty and my CTX is working normally again. I will be the first to confess that I’m tough on my equipment including detectors, sand scoops (I’ve destroyed 2 Stealths) and, my wife says, women. I spend 5-7 hrs at a time in wave infested Gulf beaches and have been pounded off my feet on more than several occasions. That said, my CTX has taken a beating and apparently it shows. At the same time I really can’t complain because of the results; 29 gold rings with several cts of diamonds, a David Yurman $1,000 pendant and chain, 100s of silver rings and ear rings, 100s of dollars in coin not to mention my recently found silver-capped Alligator tooth…I’m not complaining at all…just thanking Minelab for the quick and painless return of my go too detector. Thanks again.

Happy Hunting

Knowing what I know, after 3.5 years with the CTX I can say I will always have one on hand to use, no matter what happens. The Equinox has been impressive in its own right but that’s just it...in its OWN right. Both very good products but in my mind in no way “interchangeable”. The CTX will never be that fast, the Equinox will never deliver that much information. With the totals you’ve accumulated Lawrence....those results are just really hard to overlook. I’m glad there have been ALOT of good reports about getting things repaired and back to the user in a VERY timely manner. For many of us, this is a seasonal thing, and some of us are quite rabid about hunting when the opportunity presents itself. To have the company behind our passion 100% is continued reassurance that we have chosen the right company!