Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX gold from the water today

Jason in TN

Did some water hunting today in a spot I wanted to try out the new 6" coil. This spot is very rocky from fist size on up. The 6" worked pretty good there got nothing deep but I was hunting auto +3 could get down into the rocks better with the small coil. I used a pattern that discriminates out all coins 37 and up. Targets here are hard to recover and I did not want to waste time on coins. May leave a gold ring or two but in this spot to me it is just not worth the time to recover coins. Got a nice 14k band and a tungsten band. 14k 12-21 tungsten read 12-29. One warning if you are going to water hunt with the six inch coil take the cover off or secure it in some way. Took me about ten min in the water for it to fall off and get lost. It does not fit as tight at the 11".

a019a7fa.jpg

The finds did get one zinc penny that came in in the low 30s was pretty eaten up.

93e8dbad.jpg

Tungsten band.

a7167a84.jpg

The gold.

sube said:
Nice finds how deep does the little coil go .

Not sure where I was hunting auto was running at about 23 to dig hole you remove rocks about 4" was the deepest target I recovered but some were under rocks that were pretty thick.

Jason

Nice recoveries Jason. Gold is always good to find. And adding a tungsten ring only makes it better. I find your rejection of US coins to be an interesting concept for jewelry hunting. Being an old coin shooter, rejecting them never occurred to me! I don't know what type of Pattern you implemented. But with both rings reading along the 12 FE line, would you feel confident running a water/jewelry pattern (for example) that rejects FE numbers lower than 9 and higher than 14, (with accept levels to CO 37) with the exception of FE 01/02 up through CO 28, which would include an accepted range for some Platinum rings?

Something like this........
[attachment 239489 goldjewelryIIfreshwaterbeach.jpg]

I'm interested to hear your opinion as to whether this Pattern would be too "loose" or too "tight". HH Randy

Digger said:
Nice recoveries Jason. Gold is always good to find. And adding a tungsten ring only makes it better. I find your rejection of US coins to be an interesting concept for jewelry hunting. Being an old coin shooter, rejecting them never occurred to me! I don't know what type of Pattern you implemented. But with both rings reading along the 12 FE line, would you feel confident running a water/jewelry pattern (for example) that rejects FE numbers lower than 9 and higher than 14, (with accept levels to CO 37) with the exception of FE 01/02 up through CO 28, which would include an accepted range for some Platinum rings?

Something like this........
[attachment 239489 goldjewelryIIfreshwaterbeach.jpg]

I'm interested to hear your opinion as to whether this Pattern would be too "loose" or too "tight". HH Randy

The one I am running has a little more open I think the tighter you run it the lower you will need to run your sensitivity to keep the TID numbers steady but you already know that.
I will try to get a screen shot or send it to some one. When I get use of my PC. Been stuck with just a IPad right now.

Jason

Very nice finds Jason!!

You are having great success with the CTX!!

Jason, I am assuming this is fresh water,however I wonder how this would do in salt water? You could drop some sensitivity and get less falsing.

brother steve said:
Jason, I am assuming this is fresh water,however I wonder how this would do in salt water? You could drop some sensitivity and get less falsing.

It will work in salt water I have tried it at the beach. The thing to remember with something like this is you are going to miss some stuff a lot of coins and some gold too. This is something I use when I am looking for gold and have a very limited time to hunt. A lot of times you will come home with nothing but a bunch of aluminum trash. But one gold ring makes up for a lot of coins you left behind.

Jason

Jason and Randy, why do you use any discrimination at all, at least at the beach? First let me say I don't have a ctx yet, I read this forum to see if it is something worth having for what I do. I do have a Sovereign GT without a meter. When I'm doing the beach I use no discrimination. I am an old guy that is extremely hard of hearing, so I can't hear the differences between different coins or other things that are close in tone, but when I'm looking for gold rings I only pay attention to the nickle/can tab signals. Coins make a high pitch, wads of foil and foil packets make a very unique sound unlike anything else (and so far I haven't found any gold rings that make that sound), so, as I said I just pay attention to the nickle and can tab sounds, which so far has found me 4 gold rings. I tested 7 gold rings I had found with other machines in the past and they also make the same sound as the four with my current machine. Sorry I'm so long winded, what I'm really trying to find out is can't you just go by the tone of the ctx to know when you are getting a possible gold signal, and ignore the other tones?

old lobo said:
Jason and Randy, why do you use any discrimination at all, at least at the beach? First let me say I don't have a ctx yet, I read this forum to see if it is something worth having for what I do. I do have a Sovereign GT without a meter. When I'm doing the beach I use no discrimination. I am an old guy that is extremely hard of hearing, so I can't hear the differences between different coins or other things that are close in tone, but when I'm looking for gold rings I only pay attention to the nickle/can tab signals. Coins make a high pitch, wads of foil and foil packets make a very unique sound unlike anything else (and so far I haven't found any gold rings that make that sound), so, as I said I just pay attention to the nickle and can tab sounds, which so far has found me 4 gold rings. I tested 7 gold rings I had found with other machines in the past and they also make the same sound as the four with my current machine. Sorry I'm so long winded, what I'm really trying to find out is can't you just go by the tone of the ctx to know when you are getting a possible gold signal, and ignore the other tones?

You can set the tones up for what ever you want them to be. You are using discrimination you are just using your ears or tones to discriminate. And that is a good or fine way to do it.
With the CTX you can set it up to not give any tone that way you do not have to stop check or listen for the tones and then decide what to do this for me saves time and let's you just dig what comes through. Also gives your ears a break on the beach in a wash out or hole there may be 30 coin tones and 5 to 10 gold tones. Not hearing and checking the coin tones saves me time and I can give my attention to what I am looking for. There are lots of times you will leave with nothing but tabs and foil but I think for me this makes my chances of finding gold better.

Jason

As Jason said, whether we use our ears or the electronics of the detector, most of us are using some sort of discrimination. Unlike BBS detectors that only provide the FE value, FBS (and now FBS2) provides both Ferrous numbers and Conductive numbers in the TID. You can program your CTX to provide an audio response based on the FE number, or on the CO number. And in many of the audio profiles, you can alter the pitch of the tone to suit your hearing. But regardless of how well you define your discrimination, you will still find gold rings that provide the same identical FE/CO numbers as coins. And if the number is the same, the pitch of the tone will be the same. (notice I didn't say they would sound the same? more about that at the end of this post)
If you look at the chart of rings I posted on the Classroom forum, http://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,1740175,1740175#msg-1740175 you'll see that gold rings pictured have FE readings at or near 12. But the Conductive readings range anywhere from single digits, through the teens, twenties, thirties and even into the forties. It all depends on the size, shape, alloy and K of the ring. With the nickel range being at or near 12/10-14, you're going to be missing a lot of gold rings by ignoring signals that don't reflect the TID of nickels and pulltabs. Two of my best gold rings, a 14K band and an 18K band, read 12/32 and 12/33 on the CTX 3030. And both of these would be considered to be in the "copper penny" range of tones.
In regard to my comment of pitch vs sound..... here is the link to a post I made a couple months ago, describing what I consider to be the difference. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1697876,1697944#msg-1697944 HH Randy

Thank both of you for taking the time to help me understand things I hadn't thought about before. Everybody and their brother has a metal detector here in Southern California, and most of them do the beach, so out in the wet at low tide there are few signals, and they are usually far between. I've gotten to my favorite beach, when the tides are right, between 1:00 and 2:00 in the morning and there are frequently the same 3 guys doing the wet and another guy doing the dry sand, and it's not a big beach, so the compitition is fierce. I have been digging everything, but my thinking was when the compitition is bad, let those guys with the pi machines waste there time digging all those zinc pennies (the most common item on that beach), and the foil. Yes, by just digging nickle/can tab signals I will miss an occasional ring, but I will probably find 95% of them, and I like those odds. Now in the winter, or whenever I don't have so much compitition, then I will dig everything. If you think my reasoning is faulty, please let me know, because I haven't started doing that way yet, I'm just considering it.

old lobo said:
Thank both of you for taking the time to help me understand things I hadn't thought about before. Everybody and their brother has a metal detector here in Southern California, and most of them do the beach, so out in the wet at low tide there are few signals, and they are usually far between. I've gotten to my favorite beach, when the tides are right, between 1:00 and 2:00 in the morning and there are frequently the same 3 guys doing the wet and another guy doing the dry sand, and it's not a big beach, so the compitition is fierce. I have been digging everything, but my thinking was when the compitition is bad, let those guys with the pi machines waste there time digging all those zinc pennies (the most common item on that beach), and the foil. Yes, by just digging nickle/can tab signals I will miss an occasional ring, but I will probably find 95% of them, and I like those odds. Now in the winter, or whenever I don't have so much compitition, then I will dig everything. If you think my reasoning is faulty, please let me know, because I haven't started doing that way yet, I'm just considering it.

To me that sounds like a good idea. It depends on the time you have to hunt. Have to try different things and see what works for you every one is different in the way they hunt. You make your decisions and take your chances. As a buddy of mine says some times chickens some times feathers you just do t know until you try.

Jason