Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ctx has gotten noisy

stitchlips

When I got my ctx about a month ago, I was amazed at how quiet it was. It has started to false a lot. It seems fine when the coil is about 1 foot or more underwater, but when I get shallow or just on the wet sand it has started to false a lot. I have to turn the sens down to 14 or so to get it stable. When I first started hunting, I could crank it to 25 with the occasional false.

It has gotten really sensitive to the slightest bump too. I noticed that it can just barely touch the sand and it will false. I decided to look at the coil wire. I popped the back open and noticed it chattered quiet a bit. I also noticed that it would false every time I tapped the coil wire at the connection. It sounds like a broken wire inside the coil wire. Then I noticed moisture in this part of the coil wire. Is this normal? All of the black color is moisture.

waterplug.jpg

Make sure your coils o-ring didn't fall out, try another coil if you have one, the 6" or 17" to see if it still falses. If you can try another coil and the falsing stops it's most likely your coil, if not it could very well be the unit, let's hope not.Gene

Did you take the coil cover off to see if there's debris in there? Sometimes the dirt that collects between the cover and coil can cause falsing.

Hello,i'm Paride from Italy. I have the same problem, they said to me that was a mineralization problem but i don't think. Actually,i can't set sens higher than 21/22 and in auto,ctx set to 19/20/21.
I have no idea.

Shallow water the waves will make it false not really anything you can do about it all detectors do it. And bumping it also all detectors do this it is like an overload signal. I do not know the mechanics but it happens with all of mine. As far as being in the water you kind of see the wave go over then you get a signal so you know it isnt actually a target.

*EDIT my ctx also seams to false we have alot of black sand down here so I dont know if that is the reason or not but you can tend to tell the false signals anyhow they dont even sound like something I would stop for.

I am familiar with the waves causing falsing. I have used an excal for four years now. My CTX did not do this when I first started using it, and now it is almost impossible to use in shallow water. When I say shallow, I mean 1-2 inches if that.

I know that hitting it will cause it to false as well, but just tapping the coil wire should not do this at least I dont think it should.

Call Minelab and send it in.

That picture doesn't look normal at all. Looks like corrosion has set in and is causing some sort of short. All of of my connectors are clean as a whistle...nes

Nes (south Coast-CA) said:
That picture doesn't look normal at all. Looks like corrosion has set in and is causing some sort of short. All of of my connectors are clean as a whistle...nes

Thanks Nes!

here's a couple of pictures of my 6" coil connector. It has never been submerged.

dougj7 said:
here's a couple of pictures of my 6" coil connector. It's never been submerged.

Doug,
In the picture on the left, what is the black spot? That looks like mine but smaller. If you move it around, does the spot move around a little too?
Thanks for the pics!
Mark

dougj7 said:
Hi Mark,

I just shook the cable vigorously. The spot didn't appear to move.

Mine doesn't move when I shake it. It only moves when I apply pressure by pressing it. It looks like it expands.

Minelab thinks I should replace the coil. The control unit has also started to wobble on the shaft. They are going to take care of everything for me. So far, they have been great with their service.