Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX in Carry On Bag

Atlas

Hi All

Packing for a trip to Florida and wondering if anyone has had any trouble with clearing security with the CTX in their carry on bag?

I broke the unit down and took off the rear module and the upper shaft/meter assembly will just fit into a soft sided carry on bag that meets carry on dimension requirements. It would not fit into my standard hard sided carry on bag but the internal dimensions of that are slightly smaller due to wheels and handles etc. So with the soft sided bag I can get in all the broken down pieces and parts and even the 11" coil. Of course I will have it packed with foam padding and clothing etc. to keep things from banging around.

I have traveled with my Excal electronics sans shaft in carry on luggage before with no problem as well as my MXT. However, the upper shaft assembly of the CTX is a little more substantial and I'm wondering if anyone has traveled with it as carry on and if they have experienced any problems? I would hate to have to leave security and then check this carry on bag which is now where near as substantial as my checked bags.

Option 2 would be to pack in my checked bag with tons of padding. That is what I did last time before I came up with the soft sided bag option. Of course if I were to put in my checked bag I would probably need extra insurance. It seems the limits are high enough on lost bags but the airlines try and exclude high end electronics etc.? I worry more about a lost bag than actual damage. If I went this route I would still pack the Excal electronics in my carry on bag. That way at least one unit will make it to Fla.

HH

Just checked on AA website and they exclude computers and "other electronic equipment" from checked baggage standard insurance coverage.

Additional insurance is available for $5 per $100 of value so it would cost over $100 to insure a CTX in carry on. Has anyone who puts CTX in Carry on ever bought this and is this what you paid?

HH

I have flown many times with the ctx in my carry on. 1 time they took extra time x raying it but no trouble at all.

JamesBondaka said:
I have flown many times with the ctx in my carry on. 1 time they took extra time x raying it but no trouble at all.

Don't they have a problem with the length of the lower shaft exceeding the max. length for a carry on bag?

I have all the electronics squeezed into a soft sided gym bag with padding inside. Hey James what type of bag do you use

Lower shaft will have to be checked. If they loose tha?t then I'm out $100 and I can live with that.

its a suit bag. If you can
get to the overhead first, I just put bag in sideways
with longer staff against back wall