Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX "Pure" Wireless Headphones! What do you all think?

Hey all,
A couple weeks ago I decided to start a new project after having finished the ctx hard case I posted here. I have been wanting to get completely rid of the wire from the headphones and kept contemplating gutting the wm10 module and adapting it into a set of headphones. I finally decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot. It ended up being a way bigger project than I thought...lol
I started with wanting some really nice muffs and I decided to go with a set of Pro Ears Ultra Pro 30NRR to really block out the outside noise and they also have the leather pads like come on killer b headphones. They are also a little wider which gave me a little extra space inside and I figured I would need all the space I could get. I also wanted to make sure I used the nicest parts possible since it was going to be a one time thing. I bought low profile completely sealed potentiometers for my dual volume controls, installed a mute switch, a sealed mini usb port, 600 ohm speakers(wired in parallel so ended up with 300 ohm impedance). I really wanted to try and make them be as close to a production set as possible so I ran the leds to the external so I would still have the original function, etc. What I didn't think was....I would end up having 30 hours in building them! :(
I am amazed at how good they sound, very crisp lows and highs. I have owned/do own a few sets of a main mfg hps and I am very satisfied with the sounds from these. I guess what comes along with that though is the price. I ended up having $96 in materials and that doesn't count the map price of the m10 since I used the unit I have. All said and done if I had started from scratch it would have cost me close to $350 in parts and then to even try to figure up the labor I would rather not think about.
I am curious to what you all think about them. I even tried to make them match the ctx with a dk.grey, black and then making sure I got a little minelab red in there somewhere....

I would also like to give a big "Thanks" to Sven for helping me with speakers, and wiring info during the process!

Wow! Truly a work of art! They are beautiful. Would love to tackle a project like that if I had the know how. Great job!

Great job and very professional. I may have to give this idea a try.

thanks guys. I appreciate the nice comments! There was alot of time and thought that went into it.

I would never pay what it would cost to buy a set, but you did a fabulous looking job. Very professional!

thanks Jason! neither would I...lol. Where there is a will, there is a way...I know I wont ever do another set though...lol

Great project, very well done...............................!!!!:super:

Very nice!

Cliff

Super kool :clapping:

so battery in one side wireless module in the other ?

I wish I never seen this though now I want some or one set :biggrin:

so how much wiring is in there ? bit out of my pay grade but inspiration is all we need to make a start right :unsure:

so thanks for sharing (I think) :poke:

AJ

amberjack said:

so how much wiring is in there ? bit out of my pay grade but inspiration is all we need to make a start right :unsure:

AJ

Hey AJ, thanks and actually the board and battery are on same side and then i soldered wiring to the board and ran it across to the other side to the usb port along with the mute switch to that side to help balance them out. They feel pretty balanced. The board and battery dont way much at all and if i had weighed them I dont think they weigh much more if any than just the cord that goes to my gg ndts. They feel close overall to the weight of my ndts. Maybe a little more but nothing i can notice and they are super comfortable when on. Here is a pic of the wiring at the test stage and before any speaker or led mods were complete. The wiring to the mini usb was nerve racking and very tight

SavingThePast said:
amberjack said:

AJ

Hey AJ, thanks and actually the board and battery are on same side and then i soldered wiring to the board and ran it across to the other side to the usb port along with the mute switch to that side to help balance them out. They feel pretty balanced. The board and battery dont way much at all and if i had weighed them I dont think they weigh much more if any than just the cord that goes to my gg ndts. They feel close overall to the weight of my ndts. Maybe a little more but nothing i can notice and they are super comfortable when on. Here is a pic of the wiring at the test stage and before any speaker or led mods were complete. The wiring to the mini usb was nerve racking and very tight

thank you SavingThePast.

very good job and thought out and I'll bet the soldering to the mini usb was fun I mean not so much fun, not sure my hand is that steady but if I get inspired by your great job down the track I might have a few question, I will save this thread to my fav's for a latter date.

so yes very impressive :clapping:

AJ

trojdor said:
Beautiful.

So, how does it feel to have the nicest/best CTX headphones in the world?
:)

mike
thanks Mike and LOL, I dont know about the last statement but I am verry happy with them. It feels good to set out on a project and complete it with a nice outcome. I think I am going to sell my ndts and gg originals now and build me a few more sets of just wired hps. I bought a soldering station to do this project and Sven told me I better do some more projects for myself to make it worthwhile purchasing it...lol

Makes you wonder why Minelab didn't come up with something similar from the get go. I never really considered what they came out with as real "wireless". You've got a potential money maker there...

Great job on the headphone conversion. I've been thinking about doing the same thing since the CTX 3030 first came out as I've always hated the crappy WM10 (poor excuse for wireless) contraption and wonder why Minelab just didn't integrate the WM10 components into a real set of wireless headphones, especially considering how much they charge for the CTX 3030. Now that you're done it, you've go me all enthused again about doing such a project. Thanks and HH