Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX sounding off on salt water

Bromly

Hi Guys
My wife and I have been using the CTX machines since it's release, with great success. However lately her machine started sounding off at the end of each swing, but only when the coil would get wet. Soon
after mine started doing the same thing. We could lower the sens down to around 21-22 and it would get better. Though we both usually run our sens around 27-30 with no problems. So I decided to try something, I sprayed my machines coil
with truck bed liner. Bam! instant fix, no more sounding off when wet and I can still hit tiny targets plenty deep. So I sprayed her coil and got the same excellent results. Then after about 30 or 40 hours use on each machine, the problem has returned. I've inspected both coils and the spray on bed liner is fully intact. Not even any scuffs. I just feel like the CTX becomes super sensitive to salt for some reason I can't explain. My next trick will be to coat the coils with a 2 part marine epoxy. Maybe something thicker will help.
Has anybody else seen similar activity with their machines?

Thank You!

Ken

Ya know, the CTX has a salt mode that allows it to work in conductive saltwater. Lot easier than messing with epoxy (which isn't going to do anything anyway).

Always hunt with seawater turned on.

" However lately her machine started sounding off at the end of each swing, but only when the coil would get wet."Is this happening after the coil gets wet and you are on the wet sand? OR while in the water?

"We could lower the sens down to around 21-22 and it would get better. Though we both usually run our sens around 27-30 with no problems." Is this at the same beach? I can run in 27 manual at some beaches but have to run as low as 21 at some other beaches.

If it would continue to degrade over time and you eventually couldn't run in manual in the 20's, I'd be concerned you had a coil problem on both machines but you may have just voided any warranty spraying the bottom.

Personally, if you are still picking up the small items, I think you are ok.

Cliff

Both machines, huh? That's interesting. Is this happening at the same beaches that you have been hunting since you got them? Seawater mode turned on? If I had to guess I'd lean toward the coils going bad. Hope not for your sake because I'm pretty sure you voided the warranty when you spray coated them. Call Minelab and keep us informed. Good luck.

This is a normal day for me. I've had this problem since day one, some days the ctx acts more stable and other days I pack it up and go home pissed off. I've had the coil replaced once already, now I stick with my 17" coil which seems to be a bit better.

What explanation did Minelab give you? I am curious as to what they will suggest. Spraying the coil doesn't sound like something I would take a chance on doing. We shouldn't have to resort to any home remedy's to make a high end machine work better. I hope it is something you can correct by adjusting some of your settings. Good luck.
Jim

They replaced the coil with a new one but they really couldn't determine what the problem was. I do recommend a hard reset every once in a while, I don't have any custom programs so the reset doesn't lose anything. Keeping debri from entering under the coil cover is a good thing however impossible as this may seem but it can cause falsing. I really am considering ditching the coil cover and dipping my coil in liquid rubber.

Yes they both sound off at the end of a swing on wet or dry sand.
As long as the coils are wet. I can dry a coil off with a rag and the
problem is gone. Until the water hits the coil again. Also yes, we have been hunting
the same beach's in the outerbanks for the last 3years. I do run custom programs.
. But it does'nt make a difference if I switch to a default program either.
It,s such a shame, once minelab released the down load upgrade
that included the seawater option. These machines could find things so deep
I dont dare mention how far down.
I just hope I can find a cure, sooner then later.
BTW, My 17" coil, does'nt seem to have this problem. I just
cant swing it very well in shallow water.

Thanks
Ken

DaytonaGold, im sorry to hear your having simular issues. But
it is nice to know im not alone with this problem. Im going to remove
the bed liner and coat 1 coil with marine epoxy this weekend. I'll be able
to get a good 20 hours on it. I will let you know how it works
out.

Ken