Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX won't turn on.

cahil_2

Went detecting this morning and it seemed like my ctx just wasn't performing up to par. Found two shallow coins that didn't produce a good signal. So I put a penny on the ground and ran the coil over it and nothing. Changed to my 6 inch coil and same result. Put my pro coil back on and still acting up. Decided to do a master reset and turned it off. Went to turn it back on to do the reset and it wouldn't turn on. Changed batteries and still won't turn on. Will be calling minelab in the morning. As a side note, I have had a couple of instances in the last couple of weeks when the ctx wouldn't turn off. Also, my son has been whipping me badly everytime we go out with his etrac. Last year after I got it, I was finding a lot of good finds and getting great depth, but this year has not been the same, so wonder if this problem hasn't been brewing for a while. I got a Deus coming from Vance. Guess I ordered it just in time. Will let you know how it turns out.

Went hunting one day and had the same problem happen to me where the ctx wouldn't turn on. After changing coils, batteries and trying numerous times to start it, I gave up and called Minelab. Got an RMA and sent the ctx in for repair. 3 weeks later I called to get a status and was told it would be coming up for repair soon. The following week I got a call and said they were done. I asked what they had found wrong and was told nothing. By the time they got to it, it was working again. They tested it by turning it on and off several times and determined it was okay. I disagreed that it was okay, stating the problem was obviously intermittent and likely would reoccur. They said unfortunately there was nothing they could do because it was working for them. However, they said if it did happen again they would give it a faster turnaround. So now when I go detecting I take 2 detectors with me, the ctx and my backup.

Please let me know what they say. I would like to compare their handling of your situation with how they handled mine.

Called minelab and talked to John. He said that I need a new key pad and need to send it in. Sent me a RMA number and I shipped it out. Will keep you posted.

Interesting.....doesn't seem like consistent treatment, does it??

I find it hard to say at this point if there will be any inconsistencies throughout the repair process.... Like a lot of other support service you will find that If you talk to a different tech you may get a different response or opinion of a root cause. Minelab John surmising that the keypad is bad may not mean that they will just go ahead and replace it even if somehow Cahil's unit spontaneously starts working again by the time it arrives. Now, if they do replace the keypad even though the unit is working upon arrival I would be annoyed at the lack of consistent treatment

In cahil's previous post, he stated that his unit has already started to work again. Whether he past that bit of information along to Minelab I don't know. But if he did, and they still want to replace the touch pad, then I find that inconsistent with how they handled my situation.

Yep, your right, missed cahils post that it came back to life 24 hours later.. It will be interesting to see..

Consistent support from this company has been an issue for the 8 or 9 years I've been using their products. They have no problem sending out parts/headphones, etc, but they are all over the map with ETA's when actually sending a unit in. Years back, the repair staff was small (I was told 2 by them), now, I have no idea. There's certainly no shortage of Minelab users here on the east coast, and at some point a good number of units will require repair at some point. A few more service centers would be great.

Jimz49, are you just wanting something replaced for the sake of having something replaced? If they receive the unit, and it works perfect, what are they supposed to do? If they told me nothing was wrong, I would immediately assume user error. It does not benefit them in any way to disregard faulty machines. They know these machines way better than you and I, and if there is something wrong, they will fix it.

It's the transient issues that are hard support, I see what Jim is saying and why he is curious what will happen to Cahils.
If Minelab says sure we will go ahead and replace Cahil's touchpad even though it appears to be working fine when it gets there, but no we won't replace Jim's even though it appears to be exhibiting the same problem I would be annoyed too... In the future if I had an issue like this I would probably end up taking a very good video of what is occurring upload it to Youtube and ask the technician to watch it... This will give you and them proof of what is happening...

I have had two CTX issues and both times I received great service.. Previous to that I had Explorer issues that were handled very well... My E-trac was always good to me though.

Nolanation, I don't thing that's a fair response. I just wanted equal treatment for seemingly the same problem.

I think we should leave it at that. I don't want this to turn into a defensive "back and worth". It is what it is and as previously stated I've made adjustments by taking two detectors along when I go.

GKMan said:
It's the transient issues that are hard support, I see what Jim is saying and why he is curious what will happen to Cahils.
If Minelab says sure we will go ahead and replace Cahil's touchpad even though it appears to be working fine when it gets there, but no we won't replace Jim's even though it appears to be exhibiting the same problem I would be annoyed too... In the future if I had an issue like this I would probably end up taking a very good video of what is occurring upload it to Youtube and ask the technician to watch it... This will give you and them proof of what is happening...

I have had two CTX issues and both times I received great service.. Previous to that I had Explorer issues that were handled very well... My E-trac was always good to me though.

GK - The Youtube video is a great idea.

YouTube? You're assuming that the techs on the repair bench at ML have internet access at work - doubtful.

Welcome to the future Rick... I find it highly doubtful that they wouldn't have the means to watch a video somewhere at their office, or on their phones, or tablets, or on that new Minelab I hear they are coming out with that runs Windows and can connect to cellular service...

Thanks for the lecture.

The future is here. Just not at every employees workstation.

Whether they have browser access or not - well, I guess that they are reading this and will tell us soon enough - or maybe not.

Why Doesn't somebody try it - post a YouTube video of your problem and see ML responds. If they do, my hat is off to them. I don't know of any other company brave enough to do coustomer service by responding to public YouTube posts.

Not criticizing ML or anybody else, but having worked in a lot of service organizations, my experience has been that mostly they want to channel customer contact and employee time use somewhat tightly.

I guess someone from ML will pipe up and prove me wrong.

As far as new web linked detectors from ML, well it' seal ways possible, but the lack of updates to the CTX software doesn't make me hopeful,on that score.

Sorry if it came off as a lecture to you. I have already been there and done this. So I was just speaking from experience.

Probably about two years ago. I had a problem with my pinpointer (or so I thought), I took some video, contacted the company and they watched it, I then called them and got the advice I needed...

So, it does work.

That's good to know. Smaller operations are probably pretty flexible.

Sorry for getting all crabby about it!

Intermittent faults are pretty hard to deal with. If it works OK on the bench and passes diagnostics, then there' snot much to be done. The problem with that is that the customer will likely feel frustrated, especially if it happens again. Maybe that's why they would just go ahead and replace something that might be the source of the problem.

Anyway - Happy 4th and good hunting!