Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Culpepper VA. - Red Dirt

Rob (IL)

I found this in my notes, and they are suppose to have really bad dirt.

Red Dirt Culpepper VA

I took the V3i to some of the hottest red dirt in the United States.....Culpeper, VA. This was for Civil War relics.
In your Audio menu put it in All Metal Mode and then increase your All Metal sensitivity. Now you basically run it like any other machine...run it as hot as you can without it falsing. The next big setting change is run SINGLE FREQUENCY. In my particular case I found the 7.5 kHz to work best. Run Manual GB and update it when the detector starts getting false signals. I found by putting the recovery delay at 40 that it made the recovery time much like a F75...REAL fast. And it gave distinct and fast double blips on nails. I actually dug my deepest relics ever with the V3i in red soil...dug Minie balls breaking into the 15" mark with the stock D2 coil and above settings.

I don't remember the author. :thumbup:

Interested to know the VDI the mini ball came in at and the diameter of the mini ball? Thanks.

As I stated I don't have the author any more. The purpose was to give a starting point for the V3I in this well known problem dirt. :huh: Use your search feature if you need the information.

I got spencer .58 caliber ringtail drop, here in Northern California, it "vdi" at 74 at 12" good and solid. Once disturbed and out of its halo it has a vdi of 55-63 depending on orientation.

I also found a .63 caliber round ball and that "vdi" in the 50-55 range and was only a couple inches down mixed with iron. 58 cal round balls fall into the same general vdi but dip a little lower.

That Va. red clay is nasty stuff. My wife has family not far from Culpepper and I hunted the area in 2009 with my old DFX. I didn't find much in the farm field I was hunting and the clay was darn sticky, digging was tough as I remember.
I will have a chance to go back with my V3i someday and will try those settings as a starting point. I've never participated in DIV but enjoy reading the posts of people that have, there is much to clue into.