Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CW era button(??) ..Illinois 132nd.

jughed440

Just sharing pics of a find from a few years back. Found this Ill. 132nd button while MDing. It was laying exposed in a plowed field where a house once sat (site marked in the 1874 atlas). I know little about the CW so i had to look it up and found that the 132nd was short lived during the CW, but was reorganized for WW1 and WW2. I'm assuming that this button is a CW era piece.

quote from Wikpedia

The 132nd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry is an infantry regiment that first served in the Union Army during the American Civil War. It was among scores of regiments that were raised in the summer of 1864 as Hundred Days Men, an effort to augment existing manpower for an all-out push to end the war within 100 days. Later reactivated as the 132nd Infantry Regiment, the unit served as an active-duty regiment with the United States Army in World War I and World War II.

Civil War Service
The 132nd Illinois Infantry was organized at Chicago, Illinois, and mustered into Federal service on June 1, 1864, for a one-hundred-day enlistment. The 132nd relieved veteran troops and performed garrison duty at Paducah, Kentucky, until October 1864.

The regiment was mustered out of service on October 17, 1864. The regiment suffered 12 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 12 fatalities.

I guess that means this button has to be quite rare?? it was nice to find regardless.

Up the dirt road there were 2 other 1800s house sites where i found other buttons that could be CW era (?), and quite a few large cents and silver from the 1800s.

I am not familiar with an Illinois CW 132 button or any other Illinois CW button for that matter. I would be inclined to say it is likely a 20th century button. Illinois did have some post CW buttons with the Illinois seal on them.

:thumbup:

Super find for sure!

"it is a WW I collar disk"

Thanks, huntcav65!!!!

I always wondered if that crosshatch pattern was too modern to be CW...to me the back of it sure looks much older than WW1. But that's why we talk to the pros...some of us definately are not :laugh:

Larry (IL) said:
I am not familiar with an Illinois CW 132 button or any other CW button for that matter. I would be inclined to say it is likely a 20th century button. Illinois did have some post CW buttons with the Illinois seal on them.

thanks for your reply. I would like to find the Illinois seal button you mentioned (dreaming). BTW, this one was found in central Illinois

What part of Central IL, I live in Eureka about halfway between Peoria and Bloomington?

practically on the Sangamon/Christian County border line

I live near Springfield and hunt these 2 counties, as well as Cass County near the Illinois river.

I get down that way, I have been hunting Camp Butler area a lot last couple of years and running out of private property (with permission) to hunt. That area has been hit hard. I found the old camp before Butler prison area but it is flooded out every year and that is why they moved it to where it is known to be today. Haven't found anything there yet.

I never found any Illinois buttons at the camp because they came after the CW and the prison training/camp went back to farmland shortly after the war was over. All of my Illinois and GAR buttons were yard finds. We will have to get together when the weather breaks this spring.

The whole town of Springfield has been hit hard. I mostly hunt farm sites, but getting permission is not as easy as it once was. Luckily some of my coworkers own property that have, or once had, old homes.
Yeah i'll have to get back with ya when the warm weather returns....AFTER mushroom hunting season :super: