Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CW Relic find

Larry (IL)

but not by metal detector.......... second hand store for 37 cents :clapping:

Nancy found what looked like an old fork with the initials USSC on it and the price was right. I checked out the USSC and it turns out to be United States Sanitary Commission that Abraham Lincoln signed into law in 1861 and lasted the duration of the Civil War to aid the Union Army. We have to assume it was a cooking fork to turn over the meat cooking on the fire but that is just a guess.

That is about all we know about it and was hoping someone might have more info on the old fork. Thanks in advance.

Larry and Nancy

Thanks Confetrit. I sure hope I can get some more info on it.

When I saw that old handle, I knew right then and there, I wanted to take a closer look at it and before you know it, it was in my cart. :thumbup: I can't wait to use it on our first campfire while camping. Larry is expecting me to use it while cooking him a big steak cooked to perfection! :drool:

Thanks again,
Nancy

LOL .... 37 Cents ???????? Wowwww. What a find Nancy. Love it. TOO HOT TO HUNT DOWN THIS WAY. Thanks for the post.

EJ

Thanks EJ, It would have been 49¢ but it was "Senior Day" so I got an extra 25% off. That's me, the bargain hunter! :laugh: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Try to stay cool down there. Please tell your better half I said, "Hello". You take care down there, ya here.

Thanks Digger70pa! I still haven't come off the cloud and I'm daydreaming of who all this fork has cooked meat for.

I feel so blessed to get such an item since I'm a retired Elementary Head Cook, and only cook there...LOL.

You did well in doing the research on this fork. It's a great looking artifact. Once you get finished using it on your husband's steak, put it in your display. Lol Congrat's again on a Great save at a Great price. Talk about a deal of the century (19th) that is.

http://www.nstcivilwar.com/cgi-bin/pages.asp?6
You can submit inquiries and there is a link at the page top.
(Stephen Sylvia is and old friend who lived in Baton Rouge for a number of years and resides in Va. now)

Thank you vlad, I would love to find out more about the fork and the U.S.S.C.. Just at a glance, the website looks to be quite interesting and I will be sure to bookmark it.
:thumbup:

vlad, l wrote them but nothing back as of today. Maybe later. Thanks!