Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-21 Vs. Tiger Shark - Air testing & Bench Testing

grumpyolman

The new CZ-21 arrived last night. I put it together and went out into the shop to do some air testing. I had a bunch of gold rings I have found in the past, some new and some old coinage, a 25" gold chain, and a pull-tab.

I like the different tones the CZ gives to give you a hint what's under the coil. I noticed the pulltab near the center of the coil sounds like gold, but when it gets to the edge of the coil it goes to a high tone like a coin. The shaft that comes on the CZ reveals some thoughtful engineering design. It works perfectly as a long straight shaft or it can be collapsed to work in a diving mode. I don't have to go purchaset a straight shaft like on some of the other TOL units. The hand grip seems to be at a good angle. I'd never use it wading with the control box mounted on top of the handle. Top heavy as heck. It was easy to get a spare diving weight belt and hooked it up as a hip mount. One pull, as on my weight belt, and I am unattached from the control unit.

When I swung the gold chain in front of the CZ...NOTHING. I even bunched it up in my hand and waved it in front of the coil...Nothing. I then pulled the TS off the wall. Repeated the same tests with the same objects. The TS has one tone. However, when I swung the gold chain in front of the coil the TS gave as loud as beep as the heavy gold band is also used. I balled the chain up and it was even more solid. Now I did not measure anything with a ruler. But I can say with confidence that the TS air tested better with the target farther from the coil than did the CZ. I would guess the TS got at least 2" better on the air test. That's disappointing as heck.

I did get the CZ with the 8" coil. I was advised to get the 10" but that sometimes is unweildly when in a dive mode. I haven't tried the CZ in the water yet. I feel it'll be fine. But unless you need the saltwater operation, which the CZ will do and the TS won't, my preference in the FW is still the TS. If you can get one, they are a lot less expensive and look at the lifetime warranty. The TS is the sleeper of the freshwater detectors. jim

tigershark should be deeper and more sensetive to small gold in freshwater since cz20 /21 are locked in salt mode! in saltwater the cz20/21 is only rivaled by the excalibur, and tigershark would not be a good choice. cz20/21 will still find gold rings in freshwater and i love mine!!!!!!!! but i know i am missing some of the really small stuff.

Jim,
Thanks for the comparison. I have not had a chance to test the CZ, but I know the Tiger Shark is a great detector! I trust your judgment and await to see how the CZ does in the salt.

Best,
Steve

Steve...I'd be anxious to get your report and your experience in the SW with the CZ. I am always looking for new information to improve the odds for finding goodies. Where we live, there's probably only about 1/10th the seeding that the Gulf and Florida folks get. jim

I just posted some results to an earlier topic on the results of my CZ-21 air test but I'll go ahead and duplicate it here:

I went out to a local park and set-up an all plastic bucket upside down and set the coil on top that at about 18" off the ground. I tested a few different coins in two different modes, auto tune and disc "0" using a plastic nugget scoop to hold the coins. For the auto tune I adjusted the sensitivity to the threshold of my hearing.

Anyway, here are the results:
Quarter clad 9"/14" (disc 0 / auto tune)
Dime Clad 8+"/13+"
Dime silver 8+"/13+"
Nickel 7"/10"
I should note that in the auto tune mode I only recorded the distance that was easily discernible even though there a difference in sound at greater height.

Joe

This is just my opinion. If I had air-tested either of my Minelabs before I got familiar with them I would'nt have bought them. But they really perform when using them. Some machines don't air-test very well. My old Tesoro will air-test better than anything I own but does not perform near as well as the others out hunting. JMHO. HH :minelab::tesoro::garrett:

Hi,
I own an Excal and 2 Tiger Sharks. Excal for salt, Tigers for fresh. The Tiger beats the Excal for chains and small stuff in the fresh.

Best Regards,
Steve