Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-3D Leads the Way!

RD3D

Another 'High Tone' Day with my 3D.

1911 'V' Nickel
1913 Buffalo
1914D Buffalo
1916 Buffalo

1906 Indian Head Penny
1907 Barber Dime

OldeTymer,

Yes the 3D was in enhanced mode and the nickels read nickel (high tone) as they should! Today, I rarely look at the meter and let my ears be my guide. In high trash areas, when the 3D registers a high tone, I thoroughly analyze the signal from all angles to best determine DIG or DON'T DIG. All my latest postings have been found in a heavy iron nail/trash infested area and 80% of the coins were co-located next to trash or masked by it. The coins that others missed!

RD3D

For test purposes, I used preset settings for the test. I have no problem getting a nickel reading in both the "enhanced mode" and "salt mode" except for the new Buffalo nickels.

In regards to the new Buffalo nickel, when using the "enhanced mode" the CZ-3D would give a signal and correct reading on some, but no reading or signal on others. These were 2005 Buffalo nickels. In the "salt mode" there was no problems in getting a reading or signal. Anyone know why this happens?

Also, I have not owned the CZ-3D very long, have only used it several times with both the original coil and the 5" coil. It was used at an old gas station site built in 1951 or 1952, and is extremely trashy. I have used it in both the "enhanced mode" and "salt mode." I must say that I have not encountered extreme difficulty in using the CZ-3D in the "enhanced mode" as evidently encountered by others using the CZ-3D. I have noticed that I am digging more trash items in the "enhanced mode" but not to the extreme that it is causing problems. It is possible that I have just been lucky so far.

I really can not see very much difference between the CZ-5 that I use to own when compared to the CZ-3D...exception being that the CZ-3D has four tones and the older coins read in the high tone zone more often. I do feel that the CZ-3D has more "horse power" in the "enhanced mode" when compared to the "normal mode" of the CZ-5.

All of the above are just my observation to date. Kelley (Texas) :)

Here in Japan I have also tested the nickle and got a blank and then got a signal on others, I bring my Disc down to the 5:30 mark and got a reading...
I just ran air test and got pull-tab at the 5:30 reading and nothing at the 6:30 Disc reading!
But they did say something about air test not being any good and you need the target to be in the ground for some time, like the older coins.
The bronze coins do really well here and I don't get nickles that much..I did find a couple the other day, but don't remember what my settings were. The Japanese 100 yen that is just a little bigger than the nickle does ring at the 6:30 mark between foil and tab.
I think in the ground with the halo effect you may get a hit on all nickles at that level of disc,
And like you said the more I use it the more I can tell the bad smal iron as in nails because of the one way hit or not being solid from all angles.
Anyway, anybody else have any imput! How about it being in the ground for a long time???:nerd:

the "enhanced mode." I really do not understand this no air test in the "enhanced mode." I wonder why the CZ-3D will respond to a penny, older nickel, dime, quarter in an air test in the "enhanced mode" but the new Buffalo nickels sometimes will not respond? I would think that the halo affect would only enhance the signal, make the target appear larger than it actually would be. Kelley (Texas) :)

Hello Kelly,
How is old Texas,,,Nice Quarter horse you have there! Reminds me of my old bay!! I was raised in the country near Brenham Texas..
Been to my share of Quarter horse shows, Still have a couple of the old trophies :) Went off to the Marines and now I have been over here for many years. Did a lot of trot Line fishing on the old Brazos near marlin. Do you know of Lot Texas?? This is where we use to get all out boots and jeans. Small town with a lot of C&W stores.

Anyway, I am going to do some testing tonight.. That is strange how some come through and some don't.
Anyway, Take Care Partner!

I do know where Brenham is located...I bought a nice Red Brangus bull near there in 1985. The Quarter Horse in the picture was one of the best cow horses I have ever owned, great to rope from too!

I still can not figure out why it is a hit & miss situation on the new Buffalo nickels when in the "enhanced mode." At this time I will take Fisher at their word that you should not air test in the "enhanced mode." I just need some more miles on this CZ-3D to understand why this is happening...it is a fantastic metal detector. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Below is a posting from NASA Tom that I've saved from almost a year ago. It helped me understand the entire nickel issue and more...so I hope it helps you! RD3D

The CZ-3D in an air-test is a failure with nickels (in the enhanced mode).... as far as 'proper' ID is concerned. Per the Fisher Intelligence 4th Edition, do NOT air-test the 3D in the "Enhanced" mode. For your stat's and for amp info..... the 3D should ID approx 40% of a random handful of newer nickels as 'round-tab'. This is normal. Also,,,,,,,,......... do not "FRESHLY" plant new or old nickels.... and expect the 3D to ID properly in the 'enhance' mode. During design, I deliberately ONLY took into consideration , the real-world conditions.... and not air-tests. Once again, the 3D requires a 3-dimensional dirt matrix for proper operation. In the 'salt' mode.... a 3D will do better IN A AIR-TEST. The nickel window was NOT widened for older nickels. The nickel window width remains the same 'very narrow' width,,, but may be more 'centered' around 'V' nickel conductivity..... and,,,,,.... this time... with 'dirt matrix' in mind....ESPECIALLY for nickels that have been in the ground for more then 50 yrs.....undisturbed soil or plowed field. Buffalo's are near the very top end of the nickel window..... and Shield nickels are on the very bottom of the nickel window. Nickels are one of the most difficult coins to ID properly (for any manufacturer)..... and the 3D retains the best (on the market) of nickels-to-trash ratio. Bear in mind there are trillions of targets in the ground........... and a CZ has 7 icons to report. Of the trillions of different types of items in the ground .... the CZ must (conductively) place each item in one of the 7 categories. Guess what that means! ..... It is a inherent name-of-the-game that you will dig some trash items. Part of the hobby. (Though...I'm working on this). Your CZ will ALWAYS (and MUST) read a round-tab as a mid-tone..... and a nickel reading MUST ALWAYS be a high-tone....... or your unit is faulty. Said differently,,,,,,, If your CZ needle/icon points to round-tab,,,,, but gives a high tone.... the unit is defective. Also,,,,, keep in mind that most Indian Head pennies are slightly lower in conductivity then a modern zinc penny. Hence,,,, on a standard CZ.. (or other brand detectors).... many Indian Head pennies will read as square-tab/relic. On the 3D... most all (in real dirt) should now read as high tone. Just like the 6 Half-Eagle $5.00 gold coins found individually & recently by 3D users..... reported to me as finding them as a "high-tone" on their 3D's. This was not a random "let's-dig-the-trash-tones" and try our luck. ..... In summation,,,,, with any brand detector... it is inevitable that you will dig some trash items. My design intent is to 'Max Q' the best ratio of good target-to-bad target. And remember: different detectorists have dramatically differing performance EXPECTATIONS!

Happy Intelligent Hunting!

Thomas J. Dankowski

the fact that sometimes you get no signal sound nor meter reading by the CZ-3D while conducting an air test in the "enhanced mode"...hit and miss. On some of the new Buffalo nickels you will get a high tone and correct meter I.D. reading and on other new buffalo nickels, you will get nothing...no sound or meter reading. I just do not understand why this is happening. Kelley (Texas) :)

Out of curiousity... how do you run your machine??? Open to accept everything or notched up to accept nickels and above on the 3D? I am wondering if there's a quirk in the 3D's rom that can cause the no sound/no id if you have the notch set to accept only nickels and above. I hunt with everything accepted and have never had that problem.

-Bill

All the other controls were set on the "pre-set" settings. I did not ground balance, used the "5" setting on the ground balancing mode. Everything was OK in the "Salt Mode" and the "All Metal Mode." All of this only took place when testing using the new Buffalo nickels in the "enhanced mode...would respond to some Buffalo nickels and completely non respond to other Buffalo nickels.

There is a possibility that the CZ-3D hit the market prior to the release of the new Buffalo nickels. Also, it is designed for hunting in older sites which naturally will not have the new Buffalo nickel.

I would think that it would at least give a response to the new Buffalo nickel...may not correctly I.D. on the air test in the "enhanced mode" but would surely give a tone response.

I need to put a few more miles behind me using the CZ-3D...then I may figure out why it is doing this. This is the only problem that I have encountered using the CZ-3D, everything else does as designed. Kelley (Texas) :)

And when you set your discrimination above "round-tab".... your CZ-3D in the 'enhanced' mode will not detect the new nickels.....and the unit will remain silent.

The 3D Really zero's in on the old bronze, The more and more I use it, the more I like it! The better I can tell when there is a good target..As long as it is soild Cross swip and a little depth...The 3D has done real good...Get most of the coins in a area fast and then I deal with some of the trash just to see what it is, but the coins really pop out at you after you work with it a while. The older the better...I think the halo effect really sets it off!
Really rings up the silver, Don't get much silver here ,but have come up with two in some really odd places and deep!
Good Luck to all!

If you use "o" discrimination, will it then recognise the new nickels?

Also, I tested the CZ-3D with a round tab and it did sound off in the mid tone, not the high tone...evidently the CZ-3D is operating correctly. It does disturb me that at times there is no response on the new Buffalo nickels while in the "enhanced mode," but I will live with that fact at the present time. I have also made a mental note that it may be best to hunt in the "salt mode" for the modern coins and etc. Again, thank you for your help and information that you have provided. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I just got back from another adventure, The 3D did real good on all coins, even when the was Iron around it seemed to home in on the bronze or copper coins. I could hear a lot of iron noise next to the targets, but the coins would come though on one side of the of the iron blurp... I set my disc one notch above iron or none at all and hear the iron too...you should get all nickles at this level.
Anyway,good luck everyone...The 3D Has taken a licken around the caves and all these rocks and is still working great! I just hope no dust is getting inside!
Take care

to hunt...very interesting photos with the stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I was thinking that was a cutting horse! Remember Cutter Bill! I saw him at the Houston Livestock show and rodeo..That was when I was kid! Long time now...I saw Elvis there too :) haha
Anyway, I will be doing some more checking on the #D
Take care!

I think the ratio is deferent on the new coins..nickle and zinc maybe...not pure nickle anymore..Just like my old bronze coins..they all have a different makeup...some more tin than others, just depends on the maker...I think they put some cheaper metals in the new coins to save money!