Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-3D

beau61

New owner of older CZ-3D.Enjoying just digging the high tone for now.Took it for its first hunt for me to a park hunted hard for the last 20 years and pulled out a handful of clad coins and one Canadian large cent dated 1917 in a 2 hour hunt. Great addition to my arsenal.

Aren't those CZ's awesome ? I found more nickels, and rings using a CZ6 and 6a........than with any other detector I have ever used..
Keep us posted.

Don't pass up those iffy signals with the high tine and the grunt until you get used to the machine. That's how you get the deep silver coins. You'll be digging lots of iron until you get it figured out and you'll always dig a little iron from that point forward. Another pointer: 'smooth, rounded' grunts can be silver too deep for tone ID. So just dig it all for while and get to know the machine.

Right on,thanks for that tip,have been digging iron,will start to dig all high tone broken signals again.

I like the silent search feature with them, will have to test them in an area together,have a feeling the CZ is deeper and has the tones,the Wilsons just have the one tone.If I had an hour to search a primo location I would grap the CZ between the two.

beau61 said:
I like the silent search feature with them, will have to test them in an area together,have a feeling the CZ is deeper and has the tones,the Wilsons just have the one tone.If I had an hour to search a primo location I would grap the CZ between the two.

Beau,
I've also got both, but haven't had a chance to compare, either. My initial impression is also that the CZ might be deeper, and of course has the ID. But the Wilson won't miss the coins laying next to a rusty bottlecap. The CZ likes the iron.
When I was first learning the CZ-3D, I thought I was going to have to start a rusty nail collection.

My only problem with the Wilson is that it seems to be in love with screw caps. Not much of a problem with iron junk, but those screw caps...my goodness!

I've been really impressed with the CZ, (especially dimes on edge) but the best coin I've found this year was with the Wilson ATD; a VF Walking Liberty half in a VERY pounded park...about 7 or 8 inches down...in the same hole as a nice wheat penny and a bottlecap. (And the Wilson was blasting off like it was on top of the ground.) I wish I'd had the CZ along to compare.

Still, as long as they actually work, I think the old saying is true; "The best way to find something is to pass a coil over it and notice."

:)
mike

PS:
I've got far too many detectors (so the wife tells me), but I'm hoping to get out this fall and do an extensive comparision with several new and vintage detectors.
I have suspicions that some of the new, state of the art machines go no deeper that some of the older 80's and 90's units. Just a feeling.
I just need to find the time.

Hi Mike,CZ does like iron,just digging clear high tone for now,was digging broken high tone signals but was always iron.I have the ATD,got it about a year ago not working properly,did work for a minute and liked its depth, not working now.I have Wilsons R&C II (Relic & Coin), R&C IV, and the Coin Select. They all came after the ATD. The ATD was the only one with manual GB.They all are deep,the R&C IV has a depth boost switch under the box, CS has no boost but just as deep if not deeper. I like useing them when i just want a beep and dig hunt,no meter,no vid,no tones.

Dude, you've got (almost) the entire lineup after mine. I find all detectors seem to like manual ground balance...if you're good at it. Kind of like a manual transmission. You can squeeze a little more out of it, or you can completely be in the wrong gear.
Say, If you ever feel like selling that R&C IV, keep me in mind. :)
The other Wilson I'd like to get would be the older VLF-710. The coil was wound to be especially sensitive to nuggets. Also manual GB.

Now on the other hand, the other CZ's I'd like to try would be the 7a and/or the 70. I've 'heard' they can be a little smoother that the 3D...but that's all hearsay.
And a lot of guys swear by the 6a...but;
It's getting hard to find the vintage detectors at a reasonable price. Ebay seems to turn into a feeding frenzy when one is listed.

I really wish I had gotten sold on the CZ's years ago. I really like 'em.

mike

I haven't ever seen a VLF-710 for sale.It's in the W&E 1987-88 Buyers Guide,came to market in 86,$595,VLF/VLF+TR,took 3-9v batteries,battery life 100 hours. Just put the 5" coil on CZ for trashy area, see how that works.

beau61 said:
New owner of older CZ-3D.Enjoying just digging the high tone for now.Took it for its first hunt for me to a park hunted hard for the last 20 years and pulled out a handful of clad coins and one Canadian large cent dated 1917 in a 2 hour hunt. Great addition to my arsenal.
In same park,51 more coins in 5 hour hunt,no silver yet.Does like our clad coins.

beau61 said:
beau61 said:
In same park,51 more coins in 5 hour hunt,no silver yet.Does like our clad coins.

Dude! You're wearing me out just thinking about it. 51 coins...5 hours...assume 1 piece of trash for every coin found. Thats over 100 targets in 5 hours or roughly 1 find/center/recover/refill cycle every 3 minutes for 5 hours. My arms and knees are complaining just thinking about it.

HH
mike

I have had most of Fishers CZ series and liked all of them. My favorite was the 6a. For some reason I got off of Fisher (that was a crazy thing to do) and began trying other makes. Now I'm back on track. I have had the 3D about 9 mos. and the last time out it started Id'n all penny's in the silver range with the "mode switch" in Enhance. I can flick it to salt it IDs OK. Any body got suggestions? Yeah, I know, send it to the factory.

Old geezer

Old geezer said:
I have had most of Fishers CZ series and liked all of them. My favorite was the 6a. For some reason I got off of Fisher (that was a crazy thing to do) and began trying other makes. Now I'm back on track. I have had the 3D about 9 mos. and the last time out it started Id'n all penny's in the silver range with the "mode switch" in Enhance. I can flick it to salt it IDs OK. Any body got suggestions? Yeah, I know, send it to the factory.

Old geezer

I'm assuming you mean it IDs all ZINC pennies in the highest coin category, or as you state 'silver range'.
I point this out because pre 1982 copper pennies have always ID'd in this upper range.

Anyway, you've got a couple of options:
1. If you don't want to dig the zincs, hunt in the salt/beach mode. You really don't have to be on a salty beach to use this. :) It doesn't hurt anything.
(think of it as 'normal' vs 'enhanced')
2. Send it to the factory for recal. Note: zinc pennies will shift their signal ID as they decompose, and show up as ANYTHING.
i.e. you can't stop all of them. I don't care what detector you use, you'll dig Zincoln pennies you're sure are silver. :)
3. If you feel like treating yourself, contact Thomas Dankowski, and have him recal/certify your unit.
(He's the guy that designed your 3d...http://www.dankowskidetectors.com). Just having his sticker on the bottom of your detector control box makes it instantly more valuable.

Please note though: In the enhanced mode, the 3d is designed to try to make sure you don't miss old coins. It tends to shifts zinc all on it's own.

BTW, I just switch to SALT to eliminate the issue...and I'm in the center of the highest land-locked state in the US.

mike

Thanks Mike, I know in '82 they switched from cu to Zn. Some '82s are zn and some cu. I read in a coin mag several years back to start saving cu pennies as one day they would all be gone and coin collectors would be paying good money to get them. The only way I know how to tell the difference with the '82s is with a metal rector.

I have been detecting for 60 some years and still enjoy it. Built my first detector from plans in a book, Electronic Metal Detectors by Harold S. Renne. Boy that was something! It was a BFO with a 24" coil but I did find stuff with it.

Looks like I'll be hunting in the salt mode, at least until we get some rain and the ground softens up some. Been hot and dry in TX this year.

Old geezer

Old geezer said:
Thanks Mike, I know in '82 they switched from cu to Zn. Some '82s are zn and some cu. I read in a coin mag several years back to start saving cu pennies as one day they would all be gone and coin collectors would be paying good money to get them. The only way I know how to tell the difference with the '82s is with a metal rector.

I have been detecting for 60 some years and still enjoy it. Built my first detector from plans in a book, Electronic Metal Detectors by Harold S. Renne. Boy that was something! It was a BFO with a 24" coil but I did find stuff with it.

Looks like I'll be hunting in the salt mode, at least until we get some rain and the ground softens up some. Been hot and dry in TX this year.

Old geezer

I hear you. I've been out hunting this summer and felt more like I was cutting out adobe bricks than recovering signals.
More than once I've started to dig an iffy signal, and decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

You're way ahead of me on the experience. I've 'only' been at it for 40 years, but my first detector was also a BFO...Relco BFO with a 6 in. coil. The only coin I found with it was a dime I spotted through the loop...but the detector didn't see it.
Then I built a HeathKit TR, and learned just how much junk is really in the ground.

I believe I've got that old book in my reference library...along with a 'few' others. We've sure come a long way with detector designs!

Take care, have fun, and enjoy that CZ-3D.

mike

OK Mike, will do. Sounds like you might be in CO what with the description of where you live, eg. the highest state in the mid-west. Would you like to swap email address? All of my hunting buddies have either got to old (I'm 89) or are incapacitated in some way and my wife isn't able to join me anymore (down in her back) so I'm on my own now. I too have a "few" books.

Old geezer

Hey Old geezer,Hats off to you,most impressed your detecting at 89,must have found many treasures in 60 years,all I can so is Wow.

Old geezer said:
OK Mike, will do. Sounds like you might be in CO what with the description of where you live, eg. the highest state in the mid-west. Would you like to swap email address? All of my hunting buddies have either got to old (I'm 89) or are incapacitated in some way and my wife isn't able to join me anymore (down in her back) so I'm on my own now. I too have a "few" books.

Old geezer

Glad to, but it looks like you need to make a few more posts before I can message you here.
Do you frequent any of the other boards?

mike

PS - Yeah, this getting old stuff isn't for sissies. :)
Glad to hear you still get out and hunt.