Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ 8"coil condition

That is tough because I know of no scale that has descriptions that are universally accepted.
Superficially I see no holes or cracks--does it leak, suffer from emi?
If you add a coil cover the appearance is restored to a 10.
As far as age My CZ6-6A convert has the original 10.5 & 8 from 1992; they both work just fine ( I now use that 10.5 on a CZ-70 Pro.)

No 1-10 scale is relevant for coils. The only relevant scale is 1 or 0. It works right or it doesn’t.

The few marks on the bottom dose not hurt it. as long as there are no chips or holes in it. sometimes a little wax will clean those marks up. I have the 8" coil also and it has some marks on it but works like new. Good luck with it.

So when you all buy a detector it makes no difference if the coil is in this condition or if the detector is scratched up as long as it works is that correct?

u2robert said:
So when you all buy a detector it makes no difference if the coil is in this condition or if the detector is scratched up as long as it works is that correct?

If it's in good, solid working condition, I would say yes, however it IS an indication of how much use the detector has seen (assuming it's the original coil), and THAT would be a factor in how much I would be willing to pay for it.

It is either yes it works or no it’s broken.....looks like normal usage..... the pics are difficult to see up close, if there are deep cracks , you can mix up some epoxy and repair it , some people like coil covers ( not me ) after they get dirt under them they may effect the ground balance. So keep them clean. HH Tony

appearance is no absolute determinate of whether something works (are does not.)
I have had detectors that would not work new out of the box-perfect appearance and blemish free. ( it just sipped through QC's final check) :nopity:
My CZ-6/6a was working fine, the next minute the meter i.d's things between categories. FRL says this will not happen- sent it in & was told sometimes meters go bad.

Yes , vlad the meters do go bad !! Mine gave out after 24 years of service! Sent it to Fisher, new CZ 3 D meter, witch is fine .... works perfectly now, cost $80.00 HH Tony

Yes Harold I have a coil cover and what I was trying to say if you buy a detector and told it's a 8.5-9 is this coil acceptable is this coil an 8.5-9?

Robert, hard to give you a definitive answer because there is no universal 1-10 scale. Kind of a worthless way to describe for me.

I can tell you this: nobody seems to grade on a scale with 5 being average wear. If somebody tells you their detector grades at 5 or 6, then you can figure it's been ridden pretty hard. Kind of like a "good" condition coin isn't actually so good.

I see what you're thinking, pretty well worn to describe 8.5-9. A good point, but...

If the wire can be wiggled where it connects to the coil with no falsing and otherwise works as it should, personally I wouldn't squawk to the seller.

If you're going to sell it I'd leave it as it is. So no one can say you was going to color some bad points.
Be honest and call it some usage befor using a coil cover.

If it was me and some one would do some "re-work" on detector parts he's going to sell I'd go ahead.

JMO

All the Best

To even suggest that this coil is fine and falls with in an 8.5-9 out of 10 and if it works it's ok that is ludicrous and I call BS.

Robert, you asked for opinions and several of us gave them to you. If you don't agree that's fine, but it's wrong to tell people their opinions (which you solicited) are b.s. because they aren't what you want to hear.

As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of 1-10 grading. But if I had to give it a cosmetic grade, I'd agree with you: it would be lower than 8.5-9.

I do agree with others here that the most important thing is if it works OK. The biggest issue I've seen with used coils is when wiring comes loose going into the coil where it bends at that stress relief rubber piece. That and the working condition of the coil would be my primary concern, cosmetics would be a distant second.

Yes, you are right but I guess I didn't clearly say what I meant to say was if you are selling a detector and you are describing the condition and that condition is stated to be 8.5-9 and you receive "that" coil would you not feel jipped?

If I were selling it, I'd describe it as a decent amount of and scratches and wear on the bottom of the coil but no cracks or gouges and works as it should. And I'd post pictures like yours so there would be no misunderstandings.