Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ3-D w/ 10.5" coil vs Explorer II

lovepulltabs

Hi all, are we talking about the same depth here? Just curious as I traded my CZ-3D with all 3 coils for an Explorer II with the stock 10.5" stock coil. I've got the patience to learn the machine, just wondering if I may have made a mistake. The Explorer II is in mint condition maybe 15 hours on it.

Thanks,
Gary

I have an explorer se pro and a cz3d. I have done some tests and I think in my ground the 3d with the 10.5 coil actually got a little better depth. I was playing around today with a penny buried just where I could barely pick it up with the explorer. I was just barely to get a signal on both machines. The 3d has the stock 8 inch coil. I do not think you made a mistake at all. I find myself using the Se more than the 3d lately. With the explorer I at least have some idea of what the coin is before I dig it. The 3D did not give you that option if you were running in enhanced mode except for nickels.

Hi Gary, I have not used the CZ before but I can tell you that the EX2 is AMAZING! You just have to spend time to learn what it's telling you about the metal under your feet, but when you do, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. I think you made a great trade! Good luck and ask lots of questions here and you'll do GREAT!

HH Duane

Thanks for the replies, well I have an original sovereign and really like it, I know that it's not the same as the explorer. I liked the CZ-3D but I always wanted to try an explorer. Well the guy I'm trading with only used it a few times and he was frustrated I guess with all the sounds and information the explorer II was giving him. He says it's in brand new condition. He likes Fisher detectors so I think it was a good trade for both of us, actually he is shipping me the explorer and told me to try it out first before I send him the CZ and if I don't like it just send it back, you can't ask for anything more than that. Winter is almost here so I'll have plenty of time to read and re read the manual. I know there's a few books out there on the explorer, can anyone recommend a good one. Hope to have it in a few days and I'll post some pics of it. I'm sure I'll have more than a few questions.

Thanks again,
Gary

There is an explorer emulator that you can download and play around with on your computer. It works like the real one and it will let you play around with it and try out the settings. I think it can be downloaded from the minelab owners website.

Hi Gary,

I have never used a 3D so I cannot comment on that. However, there is a HUGE difference between the stock 10.5 ML coil and the 11" Pro coil. If I were yo I would upgrade that coil to the Pro before I did anything else. It really improves the Explorer IMO.

Julien

There is no way the cz should get better depth. u must go slow. u can't go to slow! all 28 frequencies must see the area being covered. I have an old sovereign xs 1992 model and I hit old coins in the 9"-12" range and that is with the 8" bbs coil. If old coins are suspected in area coil sweep speed should be 2 seconds for every foot! if shallow targets or clad you can double your sweep speed. rule of thumb with bbs or fbs minelab detectors regardless of coil size you should be able to detect coin targets 3 to 4 inches deeper than coil size. example a 10" coil should reach coins 13" to 14" deep. the 8" coil should reach targets 11' to 12" deep. catch my drift. The secret go super slow on coil movement!!!

wpruden said:
There is no way the cz should get better depth. u must go slow. u can't go to slow! all 28 frequencies must see the area being covered. I have an old sovereign xs 1992 model and I hit old coins in the 9"-12" range and that is with the 8" bbs coil. If old coins are suspected in area coil sweep speed should be 2 seconds for every foot! if shallow targets or clad you can double your sweep speed. rule of thumb with bbs or fbs minelab detectors regardless of coil size you should be able to detect coin targets 3 to 4 inches deeper than coil size. example a 10" coil should reach coins 13" to 14" deep. the 8" coil should reach targets 11' to 12" deep. catch my drift. The secret go super slow on coil movement!!!

Well that's very interesting, I always thought that an 8" coil would not get any better depth than 8" on a coin sized object, 5" coil 5" etc. I think experience plays a part in how deep each machine will go with similar coils. I would hope that with similar coils and an experienced user of the explorer vs an experienced user of the cz-3d, the explorer will find the same coin sized object deeper, if you know what I mean. The depth factor was one of the reasons I wanted to try an explorer.

jbow said:
Hi Gary,

I have never used a 3D so I cannot comment on that. However, there is a HUGE difference between the stock 10.5 ML coil and the 11" Pro coil. If I were yo I would upgrade that coil to the Pro before I did anything else. It really improves the Explorer IMO.

Julien

Hi Julien, yes I want to get the pro coil and the sunray 8" if I decide I like the machine and want to keep it.

Gary

I was thinking about this today. I think what sets the explorer apart is the ability to correctly ID targets at a greater depths. I can hit deep targets with a BH3300 but it will show them as iron when the explorer correclty idenifies them.

Bill_S said:
I was thinking about this today. I think what sets the explorer apart is the ability to correctly ID targets at a greater depths. I can hit deep targets with a BH3300 but it will show them as iron when the explorer correclty idenifies them.

Thanks Bill, yes, this is probably one of the the main reasons I wanted to try the Explorer as most detectors after 3" to 4" you have to forget looking at your led, as it will not be accurate.

apparently that's a dirty word here; just do a search online.