Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ5 In-ground depth test

Has anyone actually done an in-ground depth test versus the air test?

I;ve done some air tests in the past with great results, eg., a silver dime tested 9.5", and a Canadian fishscale (1/2 dime) 8" (13mm diameter)

I was totally surprised today when I decided to see what the fishscale can come in , in the ground.

I was shocked to find out it wasn't detected at 6", and can only beep at 3" but as an iron signal?????!!!! This is under very compacted SOD grass.

Am I doing something wrong?, or is sod that bad at blocking the target signal?

Ken

Hey Ken , my CZ5 will accurately ID targets to 8 inches in my test garden. Fresh buried coins are very iffy . Always ground balance , run your sensitivity 3-4 but no more. I set the volume so that the modulated audio comes into play. Been using a CZ5 since 1993 and still find many great finds . If you have more questions you can PM me HH Tony

pennies and dimes at 11+ inches with a CZ-6, 6a, 7a, 70Pro, and 3D from actual hunts with the 10.5" loop in SE Texas and SW Louisiana.
Deeper coins will start to bump up in categories as less signal is received back to the loop. (the timing on the phase shift is altered)
Slight positive offset, audio set between 6-8, (depending on noise) nothing disced out (when you discriminate you add resistance to the loop and can lose depth.)
I run sensitivity as high as conditions allow--it makes a discernible difference.
I started using a detector in the Army in '71, got a hobby unit in '75, and went from that to dealing.

Hey Ken , my CZ5 will accurately ID targets to 8 inches in my test garden. Fresh buried coins are very iffy . Always ground balance , run your sensitivity 3-4 but no more. I set the volume so that the modulated audio comes into play. Been using a CZ5 since 1993 and still find many great finds . If you have more questions you can PM me HH Tony
If i set my Sen at 3-4 i can only airtest a dime at 7 inches,if i max Sen i can airtest a dime at 11.9 inches.I think i will set Sen as high as i can.

If i set my Sen at 3-4 i can only airtest a dime at 7 inches,if i max Sen i can airtest a dime at 11.9 inches.I think i will set Sen as high as i can.
In
Air test , yes if you turn it up 10-12 inches. How often do you find coins in the air ?? When you have a dirt matrix in the mix , higher sensitivity will blow your signal out . (Make targets report longer and larger size) bigger than coin size . A sensitivity setting of 3.5-4 is ideal in keeping the target to its actual size. You will also increase your digging of trash signals . More is not always better. Tony

all depends on your ground (y)

A light weight CZ with TID numbers and DD coils would have been a killer. I don't understand why FTP didn't keep upgrading that line, I used a CZ5 for years and still have it. It has the best depth is sandy soil and depth falls as soil conditions get more mineralized. On the beach in salt mode, it will hit coins deeper than it will air test in wet sand, but it wasn't good on small gold in salt mode.

After a ground balance, I use my cz5 at 10 sensitivity and 10 volume, I think it is the correct way to use my cz5, if I turn down the sensitivity and the volume I greatly reduce the power of the metal.

After a ground balance, I use my cz5 at 10 sensitivity and 10 volume, I think it is the correct way to use my cz5, if I turn down the sensitivity and the volume I greatly reduce the power of the metal.
Hey CarChr, running sensitivities above 4.5 will bombard you with false signals. You can run your volume on 10 if you wish . Above the red marked number the volume is loud and all signals sound alike. I run mine below the red number to get modulated audio ...... meaning deep targets have a softer High tone and shallow targets are louder. Some people like it , some don’t ! I find it easier to get out and listen for the deep soft high tones . At sensitivity 4.5 I still dig targets 8- 10 “ with no problem. ..... the Cz is my go to detector, lots of experience..... 27 years to be exact ......I will be glad to share information with you on this . !🇺🇸😃

Have owned 10-12 cz's since the early 80's..
Using the standard cz air test ..dime ..sens 4.5 ..disc zero etc..
Only had one that would air test max at 9 inches with good tone..
The rest right at 11 inches...and the ones air testing 11" would find coins relics at that depth if conditions were right...
Never had any luck planting new coins..depth was miserable..even on other brands..
The neat thing about a cz is after years of using one it can still cause a grin hearing that deep mellow high tone...its just a special machine...joe

I think this question is in the right place since your discussing the cz5 depth and all; anyone ever compare the ability of the f75 se / ltd to the cz5 and such?? I run two of the f75s and always liked playing around with the older machines like the cz5 and would be curious to know how they compare> Thanks very much Grumpy

Hey CarChr, running sensitivities above 4.5 will bombard you with false signals. You can run your volume on 10 if you wish . Above the red marked number the volume is loud and all signals sound alike. I run mine below the red number to get modulated audio ...... meaning deep targets have a softer High tone and shallow targets are louder. Some people like it , some don’t ! I find it easier to get out and listen for the deep soft high tones . At sensitivity 4.5 I still dig targets 8- 10 “ with no problem. ..... the Cz is my go to detector, lots of experience..... 27 years to be exact ......I will be glad to share information with you on this . !🇺🇸😃
Great, I'm glad to discuss the use of cz5, I'll do some tests to see if I can change my way of using it, while ground balancing how do you do it? Do I always use the standard method, ie ground plate and wait for the sound to disappear, to set the correct value of GROUND. Do you use this method ?

Sensitivity in all metal (autotune) or in discriminate? Both my CZ6As and my now flakey CZ-20 would use sensitivity around 8 to 9 in autotune to get a just audible threshold with volume in the boost range. When in discriminate mode, sensitivity above the 4 to 5 range has created a lot of false signal chasing. If you are sweeping the coil very slow, you can increase the sensitivity in discriminate mode more. It depends on what your hunting objectives are and the conditions you have to work with.

I've got an original F75LTD with the DST update. It unmasks better than the CZ. For raw depth, I think it depends on ground conditions. I have not done target to target comparisons but do have a lot of hours with both. For wet salt sand, the CZ kicks the F75's butt ... yet the F75 with proper attention to ground balance is no slouch over the wet salt either.

Great, I'm glad to discuss the use of cz5, I'll do some tests to see if I can change my way of using it, while ground balancing how do you do it? Do I always use the standard method, ie ground plate and wait for the sound to disappear, to set the correct value of GROUND. Do you use this method ?
The standard method (Push button) is what I use , there’s not enough performance difference with the bobbing method for me to use it. I have done some upgrading with both of my CZ s ....... wireless with the Garrett Z- Link, a change worth looking into ,wired to the detector days are over for me . Glad to talk czs with you , not many people use them ! I have even figured out how to un mask targets pretty easily with CZs, especially analog CZs .... 🇺🇸😃

Could you share on here the unmasking techniques you use?
Yes tvr , the textbook signal with the Cz is very short audio , very tight ! Easy to discern. Things change when iron gets put in the mix. Then your meter gets jumpy and tone becomes inconsistent. That’s your sign to investigate closer. When you pinpoint you want that the tight small quick audio (one signal)that is usually a good dig. If iron is present and is within the the width of your coil , the pinpoint will show it with isolated audio (two or more signals).This method has worked for me and has become normal operation for me. This works extremely well with analog CZs , the digitals don’t pinpoint as well, due to the type of pinpoint button they have. It works , just not as good. This method is not 100%,butI have increased my good finds with it..........I always wondered why on the forums people always complained about digging to much iron with CZs ?? The KEY is the pinpoint mode . HH Tony

Reactions: tvr
Yes tvr , the textbook signal with the Cz is very short audio , very tight ! Easy to discern. Things change when iron gets put in the mix. Then your meter gets jumpy and tone becomes inconsistent. That’s your sign to investigate closer. When you pinpoint you want that the tight small quick audio (one signal)that is usually a good dig. If iron is present and is within the the width of your coil , the pinpoint will show it with isolated audio (two or more signals).This method has worked for me and has become normal operation for me. This works extremely well with analog CZs , the digitals don’t pinpoint as well, due to the type of pinpoint button they have. It works , just not as good. This method is not 100%,butI have increased my good finds with it..........I always wondered why on the forums people always complained about digging to much iron with CZs ?? The KEY is the pinpoint mode . HH Tony
Thanks for the write up! I'll add one thing I learned with a CZ that applies to other detectors too; walk around the target to scan from different directions.

Tony Do you think the pinpoint method might work with other brand detectors, say XPs?

Tony Do you think the pinpoint method might work with other brand detectors, say XPs?
I have about one year of using the ORX and it utilizes a DD coil ! It is like a surgically precise blade. I never use the pinpoint button at all. The Cz uses concentric coils , so that’s how I unmask with a CZ.