Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

D2 can slaw question

Ism

When I used the D1, I could always tell when I was over a large piece of can slaw because it gave an audio overload signal despite the VDI giving a good target number.
The D2 doesn't overload on large can slaw but instead gives a nice tone as well a good target number.

Do others here who have upgraded from the D1 to D2 notice the difference? More importantly, has anybody been able to duplicate the phenomenon in the D2?
I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing single frequency might duplicate the D1 audio overload. However, I'm hoping for a solution for multi-frequency.

Never had the D1, and imo there are tonal nuances of with the D2 on everything. Stating that, it doesn’t mean I always catch the difference and get bit (regarding all NF tones). When it comes to cans I base to dig or not to dig by the size, depth, loudness of signal and location that I am hunting. Probably not much help, but my thoughts and experiences with the D2.

What tones and what frequency max are you running around can slaw? PWM with full tones gives lots of information. Lower frequency's will break up more on aluminum.

I use PWM with 4 tones, same as the D1 that I'm used to and comfortable with. I haven't tried full tones around can slaw. I'm hunting a farm field that was a ghost town. So the cans are aluminum beer/soda cans that are crushed and shredded by the farm implements.
They come in as what could be considered silver dollar in size and TID. The field is an iron nightmare so the numbers for any non-ferrous target can be skewed by a few points. But with the D1 it was easy to differentiate between a crushed aluminum can and large high conductor like copper or silver.
I dig everything non-ferrous in the field, but it would be nice to ignore digging the aluminum cans that wind up in the field every year like I could/can do with my D1.
The two programs used are a modified GENERAL and modified DEEP-HC for searching the field.
For reference, the overload signal sounds like a cheap radio that's turned up to the point of audio distortion, or the distortion created from a ripped speaker cone.

Audio response/ below 4 cam smooth out signals and make junk sound better too. I would get over one and do some testing of tones and audio response and see if I could get them sounding like the D1. I normally run my Audio response at 5. I haven't had much trouble being fooled by can slaw yet where I hunt. Audio filter also makes junk sound better too. I run it at 1 or 2. I never had the D1, so I can't compare them.

Audio response/ below 4 cam smooth out signals and make junk sound better too. I would get over one and do some testing of tones and audio response and see if I could get them sounding like the D1. I normally run my Audio response at 5. I haven't had much trouble being fooled by can slaw yet where I hunt. Audio filter also makes junk sound better too. I run it at 1 or 2. I never had the D1, so I can't compare them.

You asked which max frequency I ran around can slaw and I failed to answer except mention the programs I use. I run them at factory default frequencies.
If I remember correctly, with the D1, it didn't matter which freq. I ran, large chunks of can slaw always gave me an overload signal.
However, I believe my audio response was at the highest level. On the D2, I believe I have it set a little lower than max. That could be the difference.
Thanks, good suggestions.

Do you know what an 8 Reale sounds like when not too deep? Overload. Dangerous game to play. Trash sucks but it's just part of the deal.Cat C
CT Todd, that’s something most of us don’t test for because we don’t own any of those coins. I’ll have to test using two silvers halves and see where that responds on the D2. Wouldn’t hurt to test a few silvers together also. I am hoping it will ring up 98 or 99 and give a good tone so I’ll investigate it.
Thanks for the idea. Winter is a good time for testing,,,,, ha ha ha

Do you know what an 8 Reale sounds like when not too deep? Overload. Dangerous game to play. Trash sucks but it's just part of the deal.
While I haven't tried it with the D2, large silver and copper always had a smooth tone with the D1 vs the distorted signal the can slaw gave.
I will do more testing with the D2, but since I don't have an 8 Reale, maybe you can demonstrate how it has the same distorted overload signal like crushed can or can slaw.

I have swung over an 8 “not mine” unfortunately but I was there and obviously you can adjust your Deus for the point of overload and the audio associated with it.
( yeah Deus !)But, the point that I was making ultimately as you all well know is that when you start picking targets based on TID, Sound or Scratchiness of the sound you are on a very slippery slope. Ending with missed finds. Plan and simple. Let your shovel determine what is in the hole.
Just too many crap targets to deal with?
Do research and move on to something better.
Discrimination is always bad
To dig or not to for me if I must is this.
The site I’m on
The size of target
The depth of target
TID
Depth of target means nothing in fields.
I may use these above rules a couple times into a cellar hole but
Lastly I will dig every single positive target and even very deep iron which can be non ferrous at big depth. You only know what you find not what you miss.
Get out there