Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

D2 coil cover is one tight fit.... Any Help?

I have been trying to get the coil cover off the D2 coil so that I may clean it out and then silicone the cover and coil seam.

So far, I think I have bruised the living daylights out of my thumbs.

I have tried a thin blade screwdriver which I carefully slid between the coil and the cover. Thought that once I got some momentum going with the cover it would start to release its grip on the coil. That doesn't seem to be working out. I think that the cover has a good grip on the center portion of the coil and therefore can't/won't release.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DJH

I just grab the cover with the fingernails on my 4 fingers and work my way around. I have no trouble getting it off.

Turn the coil & cover upside down.. Rest the lip of the coil cover on the edge of a sharp cornered table or counter & give the coil a good hit on the bottom with your hand... wildherre

Man that thing is on there [size=large]TIGHT!!![/size]

Will share what I ended up doing.

I took a small thin flade blade screwdriver and [size=x-large]very carefully[/size] inserted it between the coil cover and the coil at the lip in the rear of the coil. I was then able to slide a larger and longer screwdriver between the coil and the cover, which allowed me to slide the screwdriver towars either side which helped to release the cover from the coil.

Use extreme caution when doing this so that you do not damage the coil itself.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Now it's time for the silicone treatment so I don't have to go through this again:lol:

DJH

Silicone works but it sure looks crappy after a while. My D2's are working great so I'm not rapping mine.

rcasio44 said:
Silicone works but it sure looks crappy after a while. My D2's are working great so I'm not rapping mine.
Didn't like the thought of rapping mine on a sharp edge, but if it works for some that's ok.

Just knew I had a bit of dirt accumulation going on being that we had a good dry spell here and wanted to clean it out.

I never thought it would be this difficult to remove the coil cover.

I'm pretty fussy about applying silicone or any other product similar to it, so I think I can get a good bead of it applied.

I might give the exterior grade silicone a try, that way it can change with the temps without seperating:shrug:

L8r
DJH

yazoo said:
Why use a cover? I don't see where they are necessary. Yazoo

I agree. Coil covers date back to when the electrical coils were taped and glued into plastic covers. Now most are encased in epoxy and covered in plastic for added protection. Coil covers can get filled with sand and minerals that can throw off your ground balance.

Try dipping the coil into a bucket of warm water and then it should come loose.

the use or non-use of a coil cover.

Don't mean to come off as sounding rude, but it's my prerogative.

I have used plastic shims that I have for woodworking. Just start inserting them between the coil and cover and it pops right off.

I used to have to use screwdrivers as well and was shocked at how hard it was to remove. Now I just run hot water over the coil cover for a minute and it comes off with just my fingers.

I turned it upside down (after trying all sorts of other things) pu the edge on the top edge of a metal filing cabinet handle and hit it hard and it came off... and I will NEVER put it back on. The only coil I use a cover on is the ML Pro coil because it just snaps off and back on really easy. Those Fisher/Teknetics 11" coil covers break in a new place everytime you take them off... i've pretty much given up on coil covers... if I wear a coil out i'll buy a new one but i've never even come close to wearing one out.

J

It's all just a personal preference. I have them on all my coils because of old habits mostly but.....if you are in a small coil use situation with volcanic or granite based rubble, that stuff can tear up a small coil fast! I do look at the bottom of my large coils and truly see no real reason for 'em. Keeps 'em nice I guess........

Be careful! I snapped one on a D2 coil only to find that the pressure toasted my 2nd D2 coil. I was not happy about that at all. I do not use coil covers anymore. I am with Yazoo on this. I am sure they are important in adverse hunting conditions, but for the most part I don't see what the benefit is.

Jack