Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

D2 likes Indians too!

Aarong81

I went back to the same park where I found the Barber half the other day and for 2 days of detecting this park I have been pleasantly rewarded! This beautiful 1890 IH cent is just what I like to keep my blood flowing and excited for the next hunt. It was around 6 or 7 inches deep. The signal was almost only audible with VERY little on screen information. It gave a high tone whisper but consistent with each pass. The screen had the smallest of bars showing it to be around the penny VDI but bounced around. The screen really didn't offer enough to even look at, the barely audible high-tone was really what caught my interest. I am just beginning to learn how to identify those deep sweet signals. Its not so much reading about it and then you know it, you have to experience a few of them to know the difference between those and say a very tiny shallow target that also gives a whisper and no VDI. Those still foil me but you have to dig a lot of holes to find the good stuff.
This IH cent air tests at 55 VDI, well below a wheat and newer copper cent. I have it soaking in virgin olive oil and the grey looking residue will eventually come off. It will take at least a week, possibly two, but it will look MUCH better after a long soak in the oil and a VERY light scrub to loosen the residue. I may add an update eventually when I take it out of the oil.
The Wheat cent is a 1953 D.
Keep swinging those coils!

I love seeing those Indians rescued. Super find!!! I've noticed a lot of the Indian cent that I find are a jumpy signal and VDI. Hey Aaron, do you want me to tell you how to clean it? :rofl: No seriously, if you take a brass brush to it, it will get a lot of that crude off........the green will still be there but more detail will come out. I've even done that to my 1867 EF that I found and it hasn't hurt the value. The green patina has hurt it but not the brass brush. Again, great find! HH, Nancy

Thanks Nancy & Lightstryder!
Nancy, what kind of a brass brush are you talking about? I can only imagine a stiff brush for cleaning sparks plugs or something. What would it be sold for if I were shopping for one? Maybe a link to one online? Thanks!

Aaron, Any small type of brass brush would work. Any local hardware store should carry them. Here's a site on Amazon that has one to get an idea. :) Whatever you do, DO NOT use it on any silver coins. It's great for nickels too. HH, Nancy

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Industrial-Tools-Brass-Brush/dp/B000NY97TS

I would use a stiff nylon brush. a little stiffer than a tooth brush.
less abrasive / less chance for damage.

Great find...
Congrats

HH

I'm too nervous to use a metal brush, I always assumed you could scratch copper with even a toothbrush or at least remove the green tarnish. I recall you owe me one so I'll let it soak in oil while I think about it. LOL :laugh:

It soaked for 1 full day and I took it out of the olive oil and brushed it in small circular motions with a toothbrush. I could see on Lady Liberties face(no its not an Indian) that the green patina was getting thin so I made sure not to overdo the brushing in raised areas. I didn't damage it, it just started to look more yellowish compared to the rest of the green patina. After brushing, I placed it back in the oil to soak for several more days before the next brushing. Its a slow process but seems to be pretty safe on the coin.
I made a GIF picture of before/after cleaning for easy comparison. Let me know what you think of the cleaning method and if you have ever tried it.
You MAY have to click the image below in order for it to animate.
http://upload-pics.org/images/91328936794879548328.gif

Back of coin, before/after GIF....
Again, you'll have to click the image to animate the GIF.
http://upload-pics.org/images/25179299377788349614.gif

Number one, it's already environmentally damaged. She's pretty pitted, but she's still a beauty in my eyes. A brass brush will work wonders. I have also soaked coins (copper and nickel) in 3inOne oil. It's a cleaning and conditioning oil. HH, Nancy
[attachment 256962 Oil.JPG]

Nice finds....
Now I'am gonna have to try my D2 coil on my MXT..:detecting:

gldfver said:
Nice finds....
Now I'am gonna have to try my D2 coil on my MXT..:detecting:
Thanks! Keep in mind it will VDI a bit high on some targets such as bottle caps, the low profile quarter twist style and beer bottle caps. I havn't dug so many of these in the past until I switched to the D2 as my primary coil. The way I look at it, since it(the coil) makes me dig targets I normally might have skipped over with other coils I will, or may have already, dig some really special targets that everyone else missed. If you notice the recent post I made about a barber half, I explain how I feel like the D2 gave me an edge in finding it. Even this IH cent was a challenging target, it could be that all the other coils and setups before I found it would not quite find it. I love the D2 but in areas with a lot of bottle caps it can test your loyalty. What it does, it does extremely well. It separates amazingly, with a bit less accuracy when identifying the target before digging. I must say though, ALL american coins VDI absolutely accurate. This IH cent VDI'd where it should, a bit lower than the more modern cents, wheats, copper lincolns.