Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DD Question

Here is what Paul Wilson said years ago.

Attachments

• Coils_001.jpg
    Coils_001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 187
I find for scanning larger areas the DD gives both depth and area coverage better.

Quite an interesting subject......concentric v dd and the shapes of coils.Have we really got a grip on the advantages and disadvantages of all the different designs?
For example,dd coils are supposed to be better in trash,however,i have a detector with a concentric coil that will seperate targets lying on the ground as good as any dd coil going over the same targets.Concentric coils,by their design,have a magnetc field that covers the whole area of the coil in the first few inches before it starts to narrow out into the typical '"cone" shape we see on diagrams and a dd is always pictured as having that thin blade like magnetic field.So how can a concentric coil be as good as a dd on target tests when all the targets,good and bad,are affecting the concentric coils magnetic field all at once where a dd's magnetic field being a lot thinner supposedly picks between the good and bad targets.
When i look back at all the great finds i have made most of my success has been with a round concentric coil for some reason........in theory the dd design is far better but i think the advantages and disadvantages are more balanced than we think.

I've had times while comparing targets where a DD will miss what a CC will hit but then vise versa. I can't say one is better.
The same goes for the detector we're using at the time.
Hell, if there was no challenge then it would just be work digging.

I've had times while comparing targets where a DD will miss what a CC will hit but then vise versa. I can't say one is better.
The same goes for the detector we're using at the time.
Hell, if there was no challenge then it would just be work digging.
Exactly what i found on my garden test bed with targets that had been buried for a long while......some detector/coil combinations i thought would do really well did worse than combinations i thought wouldn't do well.
I think all the new hyped technology is taking a lot of attention away from the basic fundementals of detecting.......go low and slow.......be more methodical and trusting our instincts a bit more like we used to rarther than dismissing targets because we don't like the look of whats on a screen.
Even a really simple machine with a concentric coil will still "bring home the bacon" if its user searches accurately and takes their time.......the amount of times i see fellow detectorists virtually running across a field or beach with the coil at the end of their swing nearly a foot off the ground is amazing.......maybe they think they can do this and still be successful with the latest machines.
I think you nailed it about the challenge of getting the most out of each detector/coil you use.......thats where the real enjoyment lies.

I have found that it is easier to find co- located targets with the DD coil. The concentric coil can also find a co- located target also , but it takes extra investigation using the pinpoint button and carefully listening to the audio while lifting the coil a little. The technique slows down detecting. But it can be done. The DD is so much quicker on targets !! Much easier !!

I have found that it is easier to find co- located targets with the DD coil. T
I have also found that DD coils hit co-located targets better then a concentric. I have found, though, elliptical concentric coils might be a good compromise. Concentric's do seem to get a little more depth then DD's of the same size and being elliptical shape do pretty well on co-located targets.

Fishers F 75 series had one of the best coil selections I have ever seen for any detector I have ever used. 11" round DD, 10" elliptical concentric, 10" elliptical DD, 6" elliptical concentric, 5" round DD and at least 1 larger round beast in DD, if I am remembering all correctly. All of which, I found a need for and used. Hence, I think both round and elliptical have their equal place in ones arsenal. Un-fortunately, few msg's will make a spread of coils like the F 75 had. HH jim tn

While I started the post to see which shape DD coil people liked best, elliptical concentric coils can use the pull back method with a good target disappearing like a DD only it is when the inner coil goes past it. The only drawback over a round concentric is that a coin signal is longer when you sweep forward and backward as opposed to right to left. The Teknetics omegas have a huge selection of coils also.

To better answer your original post (sorry for drifting off subject) Thoughts/likes on coil shapes- my favorite is a more rectangular elliptical like the sef butterfly or the 11" fisher & n/m coils. I feel they cover an area quicker than round ones and give deeper more consistent signals than a football shaped elliptical. I like the large round in clean areas when more depth and time isn't an issue, the medium sized 9-10" round coils are similar to the rectangular and the small 6-7" are my choice in higher trash. My least favorite by far is the football. I think it gives the worse of both the round and the rectangular ones. I seldom use/own the footballs.

To better answer your original post (sorry for drifting off subject) Thoughts/likes on coil shapes- my favorite is a more rectangular elliptical like the sef butterfly or the 11" fisher & n/m coils. I feel they cover an area quicker than round ones and give deeper more consistent signals than a football shaped elliptical. I like the large round in clean areas when more depth and time isn't an issue, the medium sized 9-10" round coils are similar to the rectangular and the small 6-7" are my choice in higher trash. My least favorite by far is the football. I think it gives the worse of both the round and the rectangular ones. I seldom use/own the footballs.
Lol.....i was getting a bit confused listening to you talk about the football shaped coils......i forgot your footballs are different to ours.I used an 8×6 sef coil on my mxt and it was a cracking coil.My favourite ever coil was the little joey the 10×5 "football" shaped coil that i used on my Sovereign......fantastic coil on the sov,never had the problems you experienced with this shaped coil.......maybe the joey is just suited to the sov.

Here is what Paul Wilson said years ago.
That's not what the OP was asking for.
Elliptical for me......don't find any real depth advantage with round coils and ellipticals pinpoint better.
It's the exact opposite for me. I've used both and prefer round most of the time.

That's not what the OP was asking for.
Sorry,I didn't read the wording correctly. My Bad. So much for trying to help others with so many questions.

However,I've seen comparison charts of an equal size circular DD coil getting better depth than a comparable elliptical coil. I.E. 5" circular DD VS 9" X 5" elliptical DD.

Attachments

• Bvz0F-1589996879-2997-blog-opiebirdman_laughtrack.jpg
    Bvz0F-1589996879-2997-blog-opiebirdman_laughtrack.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 155