Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DEAD SILENCE=TARGET?

Hello All.

Question: If Im running with a just barely audible threshold and suddenly I go dead silent..........backaway and threshold returns .........swing again over area and silent again...........is this nulling/iron? Or is this( when using a GT or EXCAL) a super deep target? Beach hunting .........wet-sand.

Thank you
THE SCURVY DOG
Kevin M.
Santa Cruz CA.

I have a explorer and excal.I'm not too experienced with excal, but on the beach any change in threshold, silent or otherwise is worth a scoop.My theory has been proven to produce really deep and otherwise missed targets.

A change in the threshold like that can be a deep good target, unless it is concentrated on an area to large for jewelry or coins then it is most likely deep iron. Some guys hunt in Pinpoint mode and when this happens they have to take out a scoop or 2 of sand and recheck the hole. If a solid signal is then produced they switch to discriminate mode and check for iron null or good signal.

Oldbeachnut has some good videos on You tube showing him doing this exact thing with just a slight change in the threshold.

BCOOP

:usaflag: Hello All ,

Thanks for the input. Seems as though the consensus is to scoop the sand above null area and see if the loop starts sounding off once I push it into the open hole ............then determine if the signal is repeatable ...............thereby letting me know to keep on a-scoopin..............rapido!! Wavering or broken return signals ............leave it be.

Regards
THE SCURVY DOG
Kevin M.
Santa Cruz CA.

It sounds like it's nulling iron to me....When in doubt dig it out. Then you know for certain

THE SCURVY DOG said:
Hello All.

Question: If Im running with a just barely audible threshold and suddenly I go dead silent..........backaway and threshold returns .........swing again over area and silent again...........is this nulling/iron? Or is this( when using a GT or EXCAL) a super deep target? Beach hunting .........wet-sand.

Thank you
THE SCURVY DOG
Kevin M.
Santa Cruz CA.

the GT or Excal will null on anything at your disc setpoint or below. they dont just null on iron. deep targets and the soil can make them null also, try different sens settings, could be set to high if this happens often. also cross check in all metal and see what you get. like Dig says, dig and you will know and I will add learn what the machine is doing.

As Neil says, i will add that almost 99% of the time a null from all directions is positive iron, a shady null with a squeek is usually something deep and worth investigating or at least taking some sand off looking for the solid null, especially if its faint in all metal.

Next time it happens switch to AM or Pinpoint and dig it up.
Then you will know.

Willee