Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Debate about "To seal or not to seal"?

JamesBondaka

So, now that a lot of us have decided to upgrade our Ctx battery compartment seal and usb O rings.....there is a question in my mind.....when to do it? Do you think its good to replace the O rings and put the clamps down and knob turned tight.....or......replace the O rings.....and make the final "lock down" shortly before the hunt. Maybe it really doesn't make any difference but I thought it would be a interesting question. Compressing the O ring for some time would help make sure that its seated properly but on the other hand....maybe too long would tend to make "less" of a seal.

What do you think?

I CHANGE MINE A WHILE AGO

and have seen no problems your snaps are nice and tight and i dust out every battery change and pull o-ring out to clean every 2 weeks.

i would say more cleaning wen in the ocean and real dusty areas. but they work good and no leaking !

If you change the o-rings you are not going to lose anything by leaving them clamped all the time.. The battery o-ring should seat completely the first you close the clamps. Of course, if you are in a water environment, you need to remove it and clean it every battery charge. Also clean out the o-ring channel each time you clean the o-ring.

I have a variety of the o rings that would possibly fit the download cap on rear of the
screen but where did you guys find the large o ring for the battery compartment.

Hi all - I have two ctx machines and have used them since they came out for water hunting! The oring in the battery compartment is a great idea. Prior to this mod, both of my machines have been to minelab for repair!

Do however be very careful with an oring on the USB port. You may be better to use silicon etc on the existing rubber insert, or, if you do go the oring route, don't forget the loctite! An oring by itself on the usb can cause more problems - you will see small numbers on the usb screw nut - meaning the usb oring will not be totally flat and mated to the surface.

Andy Sabisch also sells them as a kit at his online store. I think it also come with the Si dielectric grease.

Trial run was a tough one as the surf was pounding. No leaks and unit was underwater for almost 6 hrs.
Kieth-Tx

dmnz said:
Do however be very careful with an oring on the USB port. You may be better to use silicon etc on the existing rubber insert, or, if you do go the oring route, don't forget the loctite! An oring by itself on the usb can cause more problems - you will see small numbers on the usb screw nut - meaning the usb oring will not be totally flat and mated to the surface.

I am going to assume that using silicone WITH the o ring on the usb port will help eliminate that potential problem?

I use a replacement O-ring for the USB port without incident for the last year. I do put some silicone grease on the O-ring.

Does using an aftermarket O-Ring for the CTX void the warranty....?? The whole design actually needs to be re-done (my opionion only !!!)...As an avid under water videographer using o-rings constatntly...O-rings and square corners do not make good bed fellows....but my question is legit, will it void the warranty, Ive only had it two days....Its really not my water machine as I have an Excaliber but would wade in the surf with the new one !!

BRC said:
Does using an aftermarket O-Ring for the CTX void the warranty....?? The whole design actually needs to be re-done (my opionion only !!!)...As an avid under water videographer using o-rings constatntly...O-rings and square corners do not make good bed fellows....but my question is legit, will it void the warranty, Ive only had it two days....Its really not my water machine as I have an Excaliber but would wade in the surf with the new one !!

Yes, if you send it in for repairs without the factory o-ring, I'm sure they will use that as an excuse to void your warranty. Just make sure it's in its factory configuration if you send it in!

Jason in Enid said:
BRC said:

Yes, if you send it in for repairs without the factory o-ring, I'm sure they will use that as an excuse to void your warranty. Just make sure it's in its factory configuration if you send it in!

Roger that !!!! Thanks.....

dmnz said:
An oring by itself on the usb can cause more problems - you will see small numbers on the usb screw nut - meaning the usb oring will not be totally flat and mated to the surface.

Upon closer examination of the numbers you speak of.... I would think that either way would work, either silicone or o ring & some silicone. Who knows maybe the numbers could even get "worn" off a bit.

This is my experience using the CTX with Modded O Rings on the USB and battery compartment to Frogmaster's YouTube video specs. The USB port eventually leaked and
I got a "USB Connected" message on the screen which ended my hunt and bummed me out. I was bummed because I had other issues with the CTX like streaks on the display-now another problem. When I got home, I left the USB cap off and let it dry out for about a week. After about a week, the detector worked again. (Looks like the USB port is sealed off from the rest of the unit). From that point I no longer use a o-ring on the USB, I put a heavy amount of silicone (di electric) grease on the inside of the cap and some on the threads. The grease ends up sealing up the whole entire USB contacts. So far no harm done.
For the battery port, I've upgraded to the thicker o-ring. I've also have 20 back up o-rings because to clean the o-ring, I use a micro-flat tip screw driver to dig it out of the recessed channel which causes minor damage to the o-ring. (It's in there tight). After charging my battery, cleaning the o-ring and chamber, I apply a bead of silicone grease into the chamber, on the o-ring and on the contacts of the battery and detector unit. I put back the battery and place a #84 rubber band on the snaps. I found these rubber bands in the Hilo Hawaii Home Depot, next to the gun safes.
I have done beach hunting here where I've been picked up by a 6 foot wave, slammed into the sand and come out with no leakage and detector still working.
Just sharing my experience and hope it helps you water hunters.

Jay

I honest;y have never had an issue with the original O rings.

Why take the chance?

A couple weeks ago while on vacation in Florida I got the USB connected message. Water penetrated the USB port. I had flown in Sat, got in water Sunday and the machine would not boot on Monday. After the "connected" message the machine's screen scrambled and it kept starting itself as long as the battery was connected. I ended up driving to Wintergreen, FL for walk in repair (75 cost). 7 hours of driving saved a trip.

The engineer stated the usb port was not tightened properly.

What amazed me is the repair center put the old style O rings back in the unit! How dumb is that! They have a know problem and a recommended solution but did not apply the solution when doing warranty repairs. When I questioned them they said don't worry it is under warranty for over 2 more years!
Wow........talk about total disregard for their profit and their customer's inconvenience!

jmkombat said:
This is my experience using the CTX with Modded O Rings on the USB and battery compartment to Frogmaster's YouTube video specs. The USB port eventually leaked and
I got a "USB Connected" message on the screen which ended my hunt and bummed me out. I was bummed because I had other issues with the CTX like streaks on the display-now another problem. When I got home, I left the USB cap off and let it dry out for about a week. After about a week, the detector worked again. (Looks like the USB port is sealed off from the rest of the unit). From that point I no longer use a o-ring on the USB, I put a heavy amount of silicone (di electric) grease on the inside of the cap and some on the threads. The grease ends up sealing up the whole entire USB contacts. So far no harm done.
For the battery port, I've upgraded to the thicker o-ring. I've also have 20 back up o-rings because to clean the o-ring, I use a micro-flat tip screw driver to dig it out of the recessed channel which causes minor damage to the o-ring. (It's in there tight). After charging my battery, cleaning the o-ring and chamber, I apply a bead of silicone grease into the chamber, on the o-ring and on the contacts of the battery and detector unit. I put back the battery and place a #84 rubber band on the snaps. I found these rubber bands in the Hilo Hawaii Home Depot, next to the gun safes.
I have done beach hunting here where I've been picked up by a 6 foot wave, slammed into the sand and come out with no leakage and detector still working.
Just sharing my experience and hope it helps you water hunters.

Jay

I worked out the answer to all this :poke:

the detector is not water proof at least mine is not and seems others are not also.

so my question is why do people keep taking it in the water :lmfao:

buy something else if you want to go swimming ctx is splash proof !! or yes its water proof if you are rich I forgot to add that :wave:

AJ