Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Decisions, decisions

Pawpaw

Folks, I'm very new to this forum so please bear with me. I have a question. I can use either a AT PRO or a Equinox 800 for simple park and playground detecting. Other than the depth thing achieved from each machine, which would you choose and why? Any serious complements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pawpaw.

Folks, I'm very new to this forum so please bear with me. I have a question. I can use either a AT PRO or a Equinox 800 for simple park and playground detecting. Other than the depth thing achieved from each machine, which would you choose and why? Any serious complements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pawpaw.
Are you saying you have both?
If I had both I would always use the equinox until something on it broke and use the AT Pro as a backup.
I really like the customization of the equinox 800.
One big advantage is the adjustable iron volume.
I've never owned an AT Pro but have seen several videos from people I respect showing that the equinox out performs the AT Pro.
If I didn't have either one I would wait a month or two and try to get the new nokta makro simultaneous multi frequency machine.
There are too many problems with the equinox as far as build quality. I hope to be out of the minelabs soon.

Last edited:
My kid slays the silver with his ATPro. I think this machine would be simpler than the nox, if simplicity is what you are looking for. He doesn't like my Minelabs, calling them 'unnecessarily complicated'... lolz.

Are you saying you have both?
If I had both I would always use the equinox until something on it broke and use the AT Pro as a backup.
I really like the customization of the equinox 800.
One big advantage is the adjustable iron volume.
I've never owned an AT Pro but have seen several videos from people I respect showing that the equinox out performs the AT Pro.
If I didn't have either one I would wait a month or two and try to get the new nokta makro simultaneous multi frequency machine.
There are too many problems with the equinox as far as build quality. I hope to be out of the minelabs soon.
Thanks for the comeback. Appreciate it.

My kid slays the silver with his ATPro. I think this machine would be simpler than the nox, if simplicity is what you are looking for. He doesn't like my Minelabs, calling them 'unnecessarily complicated'... lolz.
Thanks. Appreciate the come back.

I own and use both. They are pretty much equal for land detecting. I like the wireless headphones of the 800 so much I purchased Bounty Hunter wireless for the ATPRO. Going to the beach I have found gold with both, but the 800 wins hands down in salt water. The multi-frequency of the 800 in most cases is superior to the single frequency of the ATPRO at target IDing. Both have optional coils. I like using the 4.5" on the ATPro better than the 6" on the 800. Talk about dry sand beach coverage, it is hard to beat the 17" BIG NEL coil, if you can handle the extra weight. Each detector will shine in a certain environment over others. What really counts is which is works best in your environment, how well you learn to work with the detector knowing its strengths and weaknesses. Don't forget about comfort, headphones - wireless is my favorite unfortunately (at this time) none will work with the control box submerged, the extra cost of accessories i.e. waterproof headphones, optional coils and their availability. OH, did I say the best is the one you can afford and get to "KNOW" the best. Which ever one you decide on, spend the time to read the instructions, watch videos talk to other in your area.

I own and use both. They are pretty much equal for land detecting. I like the wireless headphones of the 800 so much I purchased Bounty Hunter wireless for the ATPRO. Going to the beach I have found gold with both, but the 800 wins hands down in salt water. The multi-frequency of the 800 in most cases is superior to the single frequency of the ATPRO at target IDing. Both have optional coils. I like using the 4.5" on the ATPro better than the 6" on the 800. Talk about dry sand beach coverage, it is hard to beat the 17" BIG NEL coil, if you can handle the extra weight. Each detector will shine in a certain environment over others. What really counts is which is works best in your environment, how well you learn to work with the detector knowing its strengths and weaknesses. Don't forget about comfort, headphones - wireless is my favorite unfortunately (at this time) none will work with the control box submerged, the extra cost of accessories i.e. waterproof headphones, optional coils and their availability. OH, did I say the best is the one you can afford and get to "KNOW" the best. Which ever one you decide on, spend the time to read the instructions, watch videos talk to other in your area.

WaterWalker: Good Advise for the past, present & future Treasure Hunters--I know because I used one detector (Spectrum XLT) to do most of my detecting, White's Detectors, because our CEO of the Club was associated with White's who sponsored our Midwest CoinShooters & Metal Detecting Club of St. Louis. MO! Never used a Pin Pointer either as they weren't being made the years I did most of my detecting! Good luck in finding lots of Hidden GOODIES! Ma

Given the choice, I'd go with the Equinox 800. If I couldn't get the Nox, I'd buy a Teknetics T2SE or a Fisher F75LTD (don't care much for the ATPro. I like the 5 year warranty that First Texas products carry. The build quality is much better on the T2SE too!

I have owned both, the AT Pro was a great step up at the time it came out. The Equinox has multi frequency, 50 tones and is a depthmaster. I use the Equinox 800 with the 12" x 15" coil on it all the time unless water hunting. Sold my AT Pro and bought a Knox 600 for back up. Couldn't be happier with my detectors

I currently have a A T Pro and a Nox 600 in my detector arsenal and if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Equinox 600, hands down. The A T Pro is a fine detector and its build quality certainly exceeds the Nox. The Nox, however, has a pretty good advantage in depth, better target id at depth and is superior at target separation. And enough can't be aid about the SMF aspect. Good luck with your decision. HH jim tn

Water Walker, That is about the most honest answer one could have ever expected. Thank you. I just find my A.T is a LOT more easer for me to understand than the Nox. I tried to get into the advanced settings on my 800 and totally became lost. True the Nox is a coin sniffing machine, but call me uneducated if you will. I'll go with simplicity and enjoyment I guess. Thanks again.

I currently have a A T Pro and a Nox 600 in my detector arsenal and if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Equinox 600, hands down. The A T Pro is a fine detector and its build quality certainly exceeds the Nox. The Nox, however, has a pretty good advantage in depth, better target id at depth and is superior at target separation. And enough can't be aid about the SMF aspect. Good luck with your decision. HH jim tn
jim tn. Thank you for that.

Nox is better than AT Pro. Not close.
Charlives thank you for that. I'm having one heck of a bad time with my learning curve with the Nox. I'll hang on to it and work with it and hope I get better with it. Thanks again.

I have owned both, the AT Pro was a great step up at the time it came out. The Equinox has multi frequency, 50 tones and is a depthmaster. I use the Equinox 800 with the 12" x 15" coil on it all the time unless water hunting. Sold my AT Pro and bought a Knox 600 for back up. Couldn't be happier with my detectors
Thanks Mackdog.

Given the choice, I'd go with the Equinox 800. If I couldn't get the Nox, I'd buy a Teknetics T2SE or a Fisher F75LTD (don't care much for the ATPro. I like the 5 year warranty that First Texas products carry. The build quality is much better on the T2SE too!
Thank you for the comeback.

I also am having " complicated " issues. I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw, and my Nox is a coin sniffing bloodhound. But I just can't seem to understand what it is trying to tell me. As such, pop way to many plugs with less than desirable results. But as they say practice makes..... Thank you.