Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deeeep Silver

I have a site that I like to return to when conditions are right. It is an old drained lake that was once a popular swimming spot. It is often too muddy and other times the ticks and mosquitoes are killer. It has been dry here and it just started warming up, so the grass is still low and the mosquitoes are bearable. I had a small window of opportunity to get in there this weekend and it is still surprisingly muddy.

Anyone who says that the V3i is not a deep detector does not have it set up right. The quarter on the left is a 1950. It was more than 12 inches down in the mud. Granted, it did not have a sweet 84 VDI, but it did have a positive repeatable signal. Needless to say the minerals did a number on this one. Basic settings were Mixed Mode on, RX 12, All Metal 75, Disc 92, Recovery Delay 90 (important on deep signals).

In contrast the 1942 was found on the sandy banks in an iron infested area around the lake at about 4 inches. I left most settings the same and dealt with a lot of screaming from the All Metal channel. The only setting I changed was the Recovery Delay was lowered to 50. I also dug a 1927 Wheatie in the sand as well.

I was using the stock D2 coil. It is a bit easier to swing with all the young trees so close together.

Pretty much what I am now running, RX, AM, Disc are exact. RD is really close. Great results. I'll be glad to get home and look for some old ones.

Those setting hardly ever change on my detector. I go back and forth between best data and not, to try and squeak out the good ones. I am disappointed Neil, I was hoping to see 18th century silver.....:bouncy:

burlbark said:
Those setting hardly ever change on my detector. I go back and forth between best data and not, to try and squeak out the good ones. I am disappointed Neil, I was hoping to see 18th century silver.....:bouncy:

Good Grief! What kinds of chemicals do you have in that lake bottom? That quarter looks worse than some I have found encrusted in salt in the ocean. That water must really have been polluted ... maybe acid rain?

gilfordberry said:
Good Grief! What kinds of chemicals do you have in that lake bottom? That quarter looks worse than some I have found encrusted in salt in the ocean. That water must really have been polluted ... maybe acid rain?

Water is not polluted, just fed from mineral springs. Most of the old swimming holes are like that around here, which kills the silver around here like the Barber Dime below. On the other hand, I have found some amazing coins in the dry well drained sandy pines around these lakes, like this Indian Head Penny found nearby:

2009_05310024.JPG

That could explain why the silver is tarnished and the penny isn't. Since your soil is mostly sand, it doesn't retain the moisture. Was there construction near the swimming hole that disrupted its source of water?

kurtallen said:
That could explain why the silver is tarnished and the penny isn't. Since your soil is mostly sand, it doesn't retain the moisture. Was there construction near the swimming hole that disrupted its source of water?

The lake that the Barber was found near was drained to build a new dam. It was found in the spillover. The Washington quarter was found in a lake with no construction as far as I know.

Do you think it was tannic acid that did the number on the 1950 quarter? Have you tried electrolysis to clean that quarter?

kurtallen said:
Do you think it was tannic acid that did the number on the 1950 quarter? Have you tried electrolysis to clean that quarter?

Not on this specific coin, but others from the same lake. The metal is actually eaten away.

Perhaps you have pyrite in your soil. When the rain comes into contact with it, it changes into sulphuric acid. [I think that's what happens-my chemistry is limited]

I was wondering even though it didn't I.D. as a Quarter at that depth what were the I.D. numbers? Thanks.

Harold said:
I was wondering even though it didn't I.D. as a Quarter at that depth what were the I.D. numbers? Thanks.

It did have a repeatable signal, but it would bounce from foil to mid-range.

I do the same thing and find that RX of 5 or 6 works best for me. I set my delay at 100 and it gets me the best depth in my area.

tumbleinn said:
I do the same thing and find that RX of 5 or 6 works best for me. I set my delay at 100 and it gets me the best depth in my area.

What happens when you raise the RX higher? I find I lose a lot of depth below 9.

Try using a V rated 12 inch coil you can pull coins 3 feet deep. With the V3i always use a V rated coil or you will lose power and begin to miss things and you wont even know it other then your finds wont be as deep as they should be.

williamsingr, your post is entirely false on both accounts, do not post information like this again.