Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep coins sound like?

vatos

Hi Guys,

If i see the movies on youtube its better to search in maual mode for deeper coins, do you agree?
If the minelab detect a coins on a normal depth...3 inches , i get a good signal ( both ways)
Sometimes i hear a one way or two way signal with a high sound (i search on multi-conduct sounds), but the sound is not as clear and good as coins that are at 3 inches.
Are those signals the depper coins?
Do yo have some hints when to dig or not?
Or just dig with clear good sounds.

Gr Arend

ChicagoRon posted a video not too long ago on deep hits in his test garden and it was very informative on the sound on these targets. Not sure the link but I know he is on youtube.

The old saying is Dig Everything but only a few live by this.We buy high end detectors to help us with exacty this problem.(when to dig or Not to dig) I live by Tone first then Numbers and Size of target. Mostly you will learn how to determine which are good targets with experience. Sometimes you will be right and then there will be the crushed pepsie can at 11" thats another story. Good luck and post pictures.
Todd

take this with a grain of salt, ive only been swinging for a few months.

what im noticing...and its still just hard for me to let go, of the visual target ID numbers. ive been "trained" over the course of 26 years of using my eyes first, sound second. The deep wheat pennies I dug this weekend...did NOT have 12-42, 12-42, 12-42 numbers, at all. the numbers were jumpy....yet in the range of the coin number....but one thing that didnt vary, was the somewhat smooth, REPEATABLE tone produced when sweeping over the target. ALSO, the target size was "small" and depth.was.. (deepish). if you take a combination of all these things, you know the deep target has a good chance of being a coin. i have only dug deep wheats, at an honest 7"-8" of just dirt, not counting grass....which to me is deep!, i have never dug such deep pennies with my old whites 6000. im sure the numbers would be better for bigger coins. the numbers will jump around like, 13-40, 22-41, 12-38, 1-34, 17-41, etc....(but each sweep produces a tone over the target) to me, if i was getting numbers like that and the target is deep, it means a deep cent. the tone and the depth are more important than the numbers. the numbers can tell you how ferrous the target is. from what im seeing, it is not so much the presence of a GOOD "number"...but the lack of "bad" ones.

edit: i forgot to say, the CO numbers are up in the "good" range, around the 41 area, plus or minus a couple. it seems like usually you can have jumpy numbers, but if there some "good" ones in there....it is showing those numbers for a reason. and the target "feels solid"....it can be pinpointed without a lot of variation in location, and you get a decent tone over the exact pinpointed spot. also, i was in manual at 24 or 25 sensitivity. deep off, fast on. a lot of chatter, even when digging, the digger moving near the shaft (while digging a hole) is enough to cause chatter! you have to let the chatter flow out of your mind and concentrate on anything repeatable.

wheats jump horribly if they are deep. This weekend I had one at 01-31 and it was a deep worn 1914 wheat, newer wheats are normally higher CO numbers like 41, 42, 43, older teen wheats are 38, 39 normally for me. But like stated above the sound is what counts, if it sounds good I am digging reagrdless!

this situation is indicative of what will be experienced with ANY detector!..what i have experienced over the years is that
when you get excellent audio especially from ALL directions,this information is all that is required to investigate further!
the( v.d.i) is ONLY a secondary indicator of the targets electronic signature!..

(h.h.!)
j.t.

and you will have first hand knowledge of what deeper coins sound like.Use some corroded/crusty wheat/Indian cents and some well worn along with little worn silver coins.Also nice to play with a couple of coins on edges at around 6" depth.