Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep Nail Falses....

Usually rusty iron will jump around 31-32 and even some commemorative tokens will ring 31 - 32. It's a sweet sound but often times if you get a nice 25-29 signal with it go for the 25-29 and when you use your hand pinpointer you will find the rusty nail along with your target. After you get 15-20 hours on it you will know what to ignore. A solid 31 should be a silver quarter but if the tone isn't good and it jumps from 31-32 it's probably iron. As always when in doubt dig it. Just like nickels sometimes even if you get a perfect tone at 13 you will dig a square tab. Digging false signals helps you learn.

I have about 24 hours on my detector and have dug a ton of clad, two rings and a pendent.

I watched a video last night starring an Aussie gent who pumped the Equinox over a target and watched the numbers while in All Metal mode. If the numbers stayed pretty close to the same, likely it was something you wanted (coin, ring, etc). He tried the same thing over some can slaw and the numbers were all over the place.

Not sure I can post the exact address of the video here but it's like a "hack" (his words) for the Equinox. He did this on shallow targets but I'm curious to see how a deep coin and then deep iron responds. Every little trick helps!

CZconnoisseur said:
I watched a video last night starring an Aussie gent who pumped the Equinox over a target and watched the numbers while in All Metal mode. If the numbers stayed pretty close to the same, likely it was something you wanted (coin, ring, etc). He tried the same thing over some can slaw and the numbers were all over the place.

Not sure I can post the exact address of the video here but it's like a "hack" (his words) for the Equinox. He did this on shallow targets but I'm curious to see how a deep coin and then deep iron responds. Every little trick helps!

CZ,

I had watched that a few days ago and tried it on a couple of targets and it seemed to work as shown. Of course some of the deeper coins may not have much in the way of numbers to start with.

At least another tool to keep from digging some of the junk that seems to fill my pouch too quickly.

Jason in Enid said:
......I think the next great leap in detecting tech is going to be either a PI with disc or perhaps some combination of VLF with Pulse integration. I would almost expect Minelab to do this, as the have some patents here but I believe quite a few are working on the former......

EMS

The first steps were taken by minelab long ago. All other VLF detectors have always used a frequency domain for signal analysis. PIs operate on a time domain. The FBS detectors were the first VLF that operated in the time domain like PI detectors. This is also why have always had far less problems with mineralization and salt conductivity than other VLF detectors.

Wow! Interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder why all otherss use frequency domain for signal analysis? Even Fisher on their (extremely good I might add) 3d MF machines?

@john4840 - Well, I almost never dug steel caps with the FBS machines, so they didn't love that iron. And I definitely dig more nails (and bottle-caps for sure) with the Equinox (but she runs hotter and I am learning her). I never found the FBS to "love" iron. In a 8 hour hunt, I might have dug or been tricked by iron a handful of times, nothing bad. And I run everything hot (and am going to back off the Nox as I hear it might be more sensitive here.) I will say the FBS machines when run hot and in wet ground sure got tricked by iron, but I think that is a bit universal.

john4840 said:
Problem with fbs is that it loves iron and iron nails. I will dig occasional nail instead a mess of them with fbs.

Naw, you just have to learn the machine. I only dug the occasional nail with mine but had zero problem with deep silvers. The response, the FECO display, the target trace, all combine to give you a great picture of whats in the ground. You can't dig by audio alone with it (although on single coin targets, its better than VDI). Use the tools

With the Etrac, I am pretty good at avoiding the iron but there is always the odd old, bent rusty nail that can fool me. With the Nox, it's a lot worse. Although I'm improving, I think the Nox will always be worse at avoiding iron than the FBS machines. It's amost a given, even leaving aside other things, when you consider its less accurate ID and depth info. Well, that isn't its strength...