Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep Silver for cheap

Ok I have been told for deep silver I need an FBS machine from minelab. (Note I have in the past owned a Safari and Sovereign) I have a couple good single freq VLF detectors Whites MXT Pro, Makro Racer Pro pack, and T2 SE upgraded to DST. So all three of these units are good units that can find lots of good stuff but I do not believe they are the Silver magnets the Minelab FBS units can be. So I am probably going to sell or trade one of these - pretty much decided it will be the T2. I will look for a FBS machine on the Cheap - which means no CTX and iffy on Etrac.

So here is the million dollar question. Which Minelab FBS unit would you recommend for Deep Silver on the Cheap - Explorer XS, Explorer II, Explorer SE, or Explorer SE Pro. - and I guess if you can convince me a Etrac. Anyway just looking for input on which Minelab unit to start looking for on the forums.

Thanks

Well, you never put a dollar amount on the word cheap so, here goes my awnser/opinion.
The cheapest obviously will be either a XS or XS-S then an Explorer II most likely being slightly higher.
All the machines you mentioned are able to obtain the same depth as long as they are set-up and equipped equally coil wise. So, that awnsers your deep silver question.
The first three I mentioned will be the ones to look for (the S is least common).
There is a sticky at the top of this forum I made the specifically covers the differences in the models. This might interest you and help you in your quest.
The benefit the II has over the XS & S is has a slightly faster processor (2nd gen) but, the depths are equal.
A benefit the later SE models have is they have some added features (all explained in my sticky) and are still being serviced by Minelab. Although there is a place that services the older models on the other side of the pond.
Best of luck :cheers:

Some say The EX II has the best Tones. And the SE the best Pinpoint,But the Etrac is easiest to learn. Also they Don't make the Explorers any more so Imagine just a matter of time before they run outta' parts. JMHO.

I tell folks nowadays to buy a used detector to see if they like the hobby before getting in too deep with costs.
I love my Exp II so much I bought a backup.
I have added a WOT 15 inch and a SEF coil 10 x 12. But funny thing is I mostly use the small stock coil and hunt real slow.
The small coil does well in trash areas and goes fairly deep too

Hi! from the other side of the pond.
If anyone is interested the web site for repairs for Minelab detectors is metaldetectingrepair.com or MSR.
I keep it handy in case I need to have my SE repaired.