Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep Silver Program

hodr

Does anyone here hunt their V3's in the deep silver profile? I was at an old school yesterday and after a friend hit a silver rosie I switched over to DS to give it a try. I did in fact hit two rosie's myself afterwards, but I don't know if I would have hit them in coin or coin & jewelry anyways.

Could someone explain to me the specific advantages of this mode? Is this the best profile to run in mixed mode? And I guess, while I am at it, why what advantage does mixed mode really provide, other than letting you know when you have a ton of iron trash in your area?

I've playing with some program changes. One is the ground filter. I'm thinking the 5 band may have merit. So when I find a deep target I check it in 5 band, 5 high and 10 high to see if there is improvement.

The deep silver is set up for a slower sweep than C/J. That's why the 5 band and long recovery delay. Also it uses only one frequency. The theory is the output is not divided between 3 frequencies therefore a stronger signal. Also the theory is 2.5 is a deeper frequency and the dominate frequency for silver. Don't forget to slow down your swing. Rob

I'm still trying to learn the deep silver program myself, so I don't have much to offer. Here is what I've figured out so far:

The deep silver program LOVES deep square head nails.

You need to sweep the coil like a Buddhist monk would walk a meditation path (slower than slow).

I've found some deep wheat pennies (7 inches +), but no silver so far. I don't know if I just haven't walked over any silver, or if I've completely missed them. I think the program has great potential in the right area and in the right hands. I tend to use it for 1/2 an hour to an hour then I speed up with the coin/jewelry. I guess I just don't have the patience of a Buddhist monk.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated with anything you learn.

mm107, That Buddist Monk thing is funny! I'm with you on the slow sweep being pretty tedious but...it is somethin". I have been busy with work and running so have had no time to get to some good sites for deep coins. (Except for the occasional "patch" that has deep soil around here.) In those places though, dimes and pennies down to 9 and 10 inches sing like crazy. If you walked over the silver, it'd be coming in clear. The 10.0's have been getting plenty deep for me around here and setting the delay in the mid 70's has been doing well enough for me so... I stick with the more traditional "White's" type of sweeping for most of my hunting. There is this one spot that has some deep loamy soil and coins that tend to be from the late 1800's. As soon as this weather clears, myself and two new hunting buds are going to give it a go! (One is totally new to the hobby but I can tell already that, by his questions, he'll make this machine "his" in no time.) Am really looking forward to (hopefully) scoring on some Barber and Seated stuff. I did find a bit with my DFX there!

hodr said:
what advantage does mixed mode really provide, other than letting you know when you have a ton of iron trash in your area?

hodr,

I am a HUGE proponent of mixed mode. Mixed mode allows the V3 to run in two modes at once; the "Discriminate" mode, and the "All Metal" mode. When the coil is in motion, the Discriminate mode allows you to detect and ID all targets that are in range, with either a high tone or a beep, depending on your settings. When the coil is swung in a slow motion, or held still, the all metal mode will allow you to hear all targets with a change in threshold, or a hum (again, depending on your settings).

The main advantage of the Mixed Mode is that the all metal channel of the V3 will detect targets at much greater depths than the discriminate mode. A dime that is 12 inches deep may not let out a nice high pitched tone, but it should trigger a slight increase in the threshold as your coil passes over it (depending on soil conditions, All Metal Sensitivity settings, etc.). The change alerts the user that there is a possible good target worth investigating. It is a good idea to pinpoint the target, and move around and sweep from different directions, or angle your coil to see if you can generate a tone and/or VDI.

My best finds have come from these slight variations in the threshold. Sometimes it is as simple as clearing the leaves or pine needles out of the way and rescanning the hole. Two or three inches of ground cover can be the difference between a slight hum and a nice 79 VDI tone.

There is more to this, including using your ground probe in mixed mode to interpret what lies beneath, but that is a whole different topic.

In summary, if your V3 is in Mixed Mode and you get a change in the threshold, slow down, pinpoint, clear the ground cover, change your sweep angle/direction, and then make a decision on whether or not it is a target worthy of digging.

I hope this helps

Great post Neil. I might add that some people say that just breaking the ground with a small plug and re-scanning the target will also help bring a deep target into discrimination mode. Another idea to keep in mind is a short faster swing called a "wiggle" over the target will often help get a better ID on the deep ones or targets with iron nearby. It helps isolate the target from masking.

Hi Neil Great post, Is Proponent a $50 dollar word or a $100 ???? I hade to get the Dictionary out LOL,
Mickfin