Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deeper Targets Require Deeper Diggers

pspr

So who wants to go into business making a new digging tool for us? The market is huge and I'll be first in line to buy one.

Dig as deep as anyone should need to dig in public sites/parks with no problem and still maintain a small plug :thumbup:
Several forum sponsors have them for sale.....

Although it looks like it will dig deeper and scoop dirt better I have some problems with that digger.

1) There is no serrated edge to help cut roots.
2) There is no hand guard to help put downward pressure on the blade and protect your hand from slipping.
3) The handle looks narrow and hard to get a good grip.
4) Others have said the curve of the blade tends to make the hole smaller as it digs in.
5) The blade is widest near the point which means it will be harder to push into hard soil.

I like the design of the Lesche hand tool - just want the blade to be a little longer and wider.

Ray-Mo. said:
Dig as deep as anyone should need to dig in public sites/parks with no problem and still maintain a small plug :thumbup:

Home made by a buddy digs like a back hoe

BCOOP

pspr said:
Although it looks like it will dig deeper and scoop dirt better I have some problems with that digger.

2) There is no hand guard to help put downward pressure on the blade and protect your hand from slipping.
4) Others have said the curve of the blade tends to make the hole smaller as it digs in.
5) The blade is widest near the point which means it will be harder to push into hard soil.

I like the design of the Lesche hand tool - just want the blade to be a little longer and wider.

Ray-Mo. said:

The Raptor is hard to use in extremely hard ground. However, after using the standard Lesche "knife" for several years, and then using the Raptor, I very rarely pull the old knife out of it's sheath. The Raptor is very good in damp or soft soil and in farm fields. I keep the Lesche knife on my belt for areas that may have been a gravel drive, as these are very hard to pick your way thru the gravel. Once thru, however, I get the Raptor out and can remove a lot of dirt quickly. I did take my angle grinder with a 1/16" cutoff wheel and cut a serrated edge onto one side of the Raptor to help on those roots, that would be a good modification for Predator Tools to implement on the Raptor. With all that said, I wouldn't rule out purchasing an improved/modified version of the old Lesch knife if one became available. Especially if that serrated edge had "set" on the teeth to allow a better cutting action.

I guess I'm going to try a Raptor. I may do a mod on the handle to make it a few inches longer for some two handed leverage.

pspr said:

pspr said:

For me, the Predator Raptor works way better than a Lesche, or Predator 75/85, or any digging tool I've used - the vast majority of the time.
1. True, there is no serrated edge. Since I always carry a small Stihl folding knife in my pouch for roots, not a problem for me.
2. Never had a problem with this. The grip is good, my hand has never slipped even a little.
3. Not true at all, the handle is ergonomically just fine.
4. Again, not something that is an issue.
5. When the ground is extremely dry (or hard for whatever reason) only then is the Raptor not my ideal digging tool.

The best thing about the Raptor is the time and effort saved. I've used a Lesche as well as other less expensive diggers like the Planters Buddy and the Raptor works significantly better and faster in the majority of soil conditions.

I call it the Tball, is actually named Sampson Ball Handle. A monster! great at snapping roots and cuts a nice plug, I use 3 cuts in a triangle shape. Sorry to mislead. Mike

mcb613 said:
I call it the Tball, is actually named Sampson Ball Handle. A monster! great at snapping roots and cuts a nice plug, I use 3 cuts in a triangle shape. Sorry to mislead. Mike

I did buy a Sampson with the T-handle the other day. I used it today at a secluded park that had an old home on the property at one time. With my Lesche hand tool it would have taken me quite a while to dig the 7-8" holes I needed in the hard, dry dirt that was there. The Sampson made little work of the cutting of plugs and any deeper digging and standing up was much less work than bending over a hole and digging by hand. But I think even with this little shovel I would feel self-concious about taking it to a populated area.

mcb613 said:

Thats where its at folks..that shovel is the best around..tball or t handle searated. The model 31 is nice if wet or loose soil but hard ground ...forget about it. Nice to have the leshce as your back up but who wants to carry to shovels..not me.

The Black Ada Ripper (Stainless model) is about the same size as the Predator tool above. They sell them here in Europe, not sure about the States.
The really nice thing about it is there is a flat metal piece you can push against and it doubles as a slip guard.

Here is a small pick.

I'm glad I picked up a Lesche Sampson. The soil is so hard here where there isn't sprinklers you need pointed shovel or a jack hammer to dig more than a couple inches. This little shovel does a fantastic job.