Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DeepTech Gold & Wet Grass :unsure:

SkiWhiz

As some of you have read a kind member of the forum sent me his DeepTech Gold with 3 coils to use. I tried it yesterday for the 1st. time in the woodchips at a tot lot because I forgot my trowel at home. I had the small coil on it and it worked great, I also played with it in my yard and it worked fine. Last night it rained and the grass was still pretty wet this morning, I went back out in my yard with the bigger coil and no matter how I had it ground balanced it seemed to be really chatty, turning the sens. down helped some. I tried the small coil as well and it wasn't as chatty as the larger coil but it wasn't as quiet as when I used it in the tot lot the day before (it was a beautiful dry day at that time). The detector was usable but you had to be listening in between the chirps, I wasn't using headphones, the only pair I had available was my daughter's and they don't have volume control on them, they are too loud even with the detector's volume set at minimum. Just curious if it the DeepTech Gold is touchy in wet grass or is it just me. I did manage to get a number of coins and a small ear ring back. Thanks.

This situation has been noted by other users. The recommendation by the factory is to lower the sensitivity and raise the discrimination.

SkiWhiz said:
As some of you have read a kind member of the forum sent me his DeepTech Gold with 3 coils to use. I tried it yesterday for the 1st. time in the woodchips at a tot lot because I forgot my trowel at home. I had the small coil on it and it worked great, I also played with it in my yard and it worked fine. Last night it rained and the grass was still pretty wet this morning, I went back out in my yard with the bigger coil and no matter how I had it ground balanced it seemed to be really chatty, turning the sens. down helped some. I tried the small coil as well and it wasn't as chatty as the larger coil but it wasn't as quiet as when I used it in the tot lot the day before (it was a beautiful dry day at that time). The detector was usable but you had to be listening in between the chirps, I wasn't using headphones, the only pair I had available was my daughter's and they don't have volume control on them, they are too loud even with the detector's volume set at minimum. Just curious if it the DeepTech Gold is touchy in wet grass or is it just me. I did manage to get a number of coins and a small ear ring back. Thanks.

Barry Extreme Detecting said:
This situation has been noted by other users. The recommendation by the factory is to lower the sensitivity and raise the discrimination.

SkiWhiz said:
Thanks Barry, any idea why this issue happens.

We had sent them one of the machines with this problem to troubleshoot. They could not identify the specific cause.
They also recommend that you periodically clean out the coil cover which can trap mud and moisture.

No longer being the importer for the brand, I'm not aware of any improvements to the coil/electronics to correct this, although on another forum - your post received some responses...

SkiWhiz said:

SkiWhiz said:

We had sent them one of the machines with this problem to troubleshoot. They could not identify the specific cause.
They also recommend that you periodically clean out the coil cover which can trap mud and moisture.

No longer being the importer for the brand, I'm not aware of any improvements to the coil/electronics to correct this, although on another forum - your post received some responses...

SkiWhiz said:

SkiWhiz said:
Just noticed this reply that I received - The DTVG and the Smart will do this at times on wet Grass..The other's will not..

The factory has come up with new coil's...same design elliptical but cured the falsing supposedly on wet grass...

I have a set of the Newest one's from the factory.. But have not used them yet...There only available Now for about a week or so...

I might also add the factory has fixed the issue of wobbly Knobs.. they have a collar device around the shafts of the potentiometer's ...

Just noticed this reply I received - The DTVG and the Smart will do this at times on wet Grass..The other's will not..

The factory has come up with new coil's...same design elliptical but cured the falsing supposedly on wet grass...

I have a set of the Newest one's from the factory.. But have not used them yet...There only available Now for about a week or so...

I might also add the factory has fixed the issue of wobbly Knobs.. they have a collar device around the shafts of the potentiometer's ...

Probably lack of, proper coil shielding originally.

Sven said:

Same thoughts here... Allso because the round coil to my Vista Gold, is fare more stable, and that shielding is really proper made.
I wonder If I could spray the eliptical coil outside with graphite and connect this new extra shielding to the ground wire, If it would help anything. !

Henrikras said:
Sven said:

Same thoughts here... Allso because the round coil to my Vista Gold, is fare more stable, and that shielding is really proper made.
I wonder If I could spray the eliptical coil outside with graphite and connect this new extra shielding to the ground wire, If it would help anything. !
I have not tried the round coil on the Vista Gold yet, will give it a try and see how it works in the wet grass. I am not positive but I am thinking that the shielding goes on the inside of the coil not on the outside.

therover said:
Never even tried that one !
Hi John, when I opened the box with the DTVG and the coils that you sent me to use I looked at the round coil and put it right back in the box as I said to myself man that thing is huge and would be heavy. I decided to put it on as I was curious of how it would act in the wet grass. Two things I can tell you, #1. It is not heavy, it seems to make the detector balance well #2. The round coil worked great, it did not false on the wet grass & it ground balanced really good and from my quick test in the yard it seems very sensitive. I won't be using it until it dries up as I don't want to sit the detector down on the grass while I dig the targets.

The round coil got a little more depht, and its much better in area with hotrocks or hardstones giving signals. But I notice that targets close to the discrim. border, breaks up more to iron tone, than the eliptical coil. They say its not waterproff, but I had no problem with that, even used it at the Beach in the wet sand. Black sand gives some problems with both coils, but the round coil less.

Henrikras said:
The round coil got a little more depht, and its much better in area with hotrocks or hardstones giving signals. But I notice that targets close to the discrim. border, breaks up more to iron tone, than the eliptical coil. They say its not waterproff, but I had no problem with that, even used it at the Beach in the wet sand. Black sand gives some problems with both coils, but the round coil less.

Agreed. The eliptical coil is better in really hot ground, otherwise the 11" round coil is smoother and deeper. The small 5x8 eliptical would be a nice all purpose coil. The tone break (warble sound) between low and high tones would have to be taken into account and the Disc slightly lowered....making sure desired targets ring high tone.

on the round coil compared to the elliptiacl is that the elliptical is a more advanced coil for handling mineral...

the Deeptech round coil allows a bit ore gorund signal to saturate the target...by this I mean as the detector begins to signal the audio gate opens up and the ground enters in with the good signal.,,if the target is too small or to weak it will signal as a low tone even if its a good target beccasue the ground saturates it..
But the elliptical sees less ground mineral in its excllent design so less iron tone will be heard in the report...

I have a video of this taking place in a mineral test if you would like to see it..I made it earlier in the year when the coil's were released...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LArZRWdPWoA

Keith

Keith Southern said:
on the round coil compared to the elliptiacl is that the elliptical is a more advanced coil for handling mineral...

the Deeptech round coil allows a bit ore gorund signal to saturate the target...by this I mean as the detector begins to signal the audio gate opens up and the ground enters in with the good signal.,,if the target is too small or to weak it will signal as a low tone even if its a good target beccasue the ground saturates it..
But the elliptical sees less ground mineral in its excllent design so less iron tone will be heard in the report...

I have a video of this taking place in a mineral test if you would like to see it..I made it earlier in the year when the coil's were released...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LArZRWdPWoA
e
Keith
Thanks for the video Keith, not only does it show how each coil reacts your video also shows how to ground balance. Ground balancing is something that most of us ole timers do without even thinking about, there are others new to the hobby or new to the DeepTech's will benefit from your video.

Keith I also have enjoyed your videos. I especially enjoyed the Tejon video comparing various coils. I do have a question regarding Ground Balancing the Vistas. Do you GB in all metal or disc mode?? I sometimes have some problems GB because I try hunting old trash sites and seems like every inch has a piece of metal in it. When I finally do get the Vista set correctly I'm pulling out good targets along side iron. The vintage Gold Mountain (15 kHz) are another of my favorite machines.....had an Indian head penny come out of the same hole as a horseshoe....all it gave was a click. I dig all the clicking sounds now.

Thank you kindly Sir!!

Yes the gold mountian was/is great iron site hunter....although it was basically a Tesoro copy with a bit more low end disc....
and yes the clicks are the reports to learn on the gold mountian and also the Tesoro's....the click can speak volumes once learned...

I usually Ground bal in disc mode but I am in bad dirt and I like to run a little negative to get some extra depth..so I can tell how much falsing I get as I balance the machine in disc mode ...

Keith

This is from the manual -

How to Ground Balance
The following steps will explain how to Ground Balance the Vista Gold. This is a very simple
process that allows you to balance the Vista Gold to all types of soil. This is very important in
order to obtain maximum sensitivity to small targets and depth.
Turn on the Vista Gold with the Power Switch
Set the Sensitivity as described in section 2.2 Controls/Sensitivity
Switch the three Position Trigger Switch to the Two Tone Mode
Set the Disc. all the way to the left
Find an area free of metal targets
Turn the Ground knob all the way to the left
Lower the coil about 2 cm (1 inch) above the ground
Raise the coil up about 15 cm ( 6 inches)
Repeat this lowering and raising process as you gradually turn the Ground knob to the right
until there is no or very little noise as you lower and raise the coil
Now set your desired level of Disc.
Your Vista Gold is now Ground Balanced. If the soil conditions change significantly (by moving
from a plowed field into a wooded area for instance), you must ground balance your Vista Gold
again as described above.
You may Ground Balance in the Disc. Mode or All Metal Mode instead, but setting the Ground
Balance in the Two Tone Mode is more precise. You can then switch to which ever mode you
choose.
If you are receiving false signals from iron oxides in pottery or

Thanks everyone. Didn't mean to steer the thread into my own topic. Falsing and depth capability are affected by any of the settings or coil selection. The Vista's (like most Tesoro's) have basic vital settings. I'm overwhelmed at the problems that could occur with the digital programmable models (having much more settings). Don't forget the fun factor with what ever machine you choose.