Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

definition of "deep coins"???

gunwolf

I know it's different all over the country and world as far as the soil and conditions go. when I lived in WNY our soil was dark topsoil and sandy loom...it wasn't unusual to find Deep coins at 12"-14" and sometimes deeper. here in upstate SC the soil is red dirt and red clay, most older coins are between 4"-8" . maybe we should start a post of average coin depths for your location so those just starting out or visiting different areas can have a guide to what coil and sensitivity to use to gain depth.

That is a good idea…. I see a lot of posts by people that have found coins much deeper than what I experience.
In central Va., I have dug coins at 8-9” max., but most are in the 5-6” range or less.

My definition of a deep coin is anything deeper than 4".
Love to get those faint weak clear signals that don't move when I go to all metal, even if it turns out to be junk I still get excited.
Around here in WV a super deep coin is 9" and that's with the ground being damp, 8" with dry ground.

Looking at construction site literature it says surface is 2” and less, shallow is 8” to 2” and deep is 8” and beyond. I think deepest coin Ive dug is pretty close to 10” but the average ‘50s coins and older have been in that 5”-8” range. Those 1890s shot-shell case heads were 4”.
Interesting subject for sure……Most of our ground is fertile topsoil with various depths of clay levels so that probably controls depths as well.

hunting for large cents with the Sovereign gt with WOT coil 8”-10” large cents still usually give a good signal..occasionally a 12” deep one would ring out..deepest I’ve dug feold hunting was an estimated 14” deep.. it gave a good but very weak tone and I had to swing very slow ..it was partially into the clay layer.. I did dig an Indian head penny once that I estimate to have been a foot deep and that was with the 10” coil…. This is in Pennsylvania soil..

That is a good idea…. I see a lot of posts by people that have found coins much deeper than what I experience.
In central Va., I have dug coins at 8-9” max., but most are in the 5-6” range or less.
🤔 I thought you were getting 15” in tot lots? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

With my oll Explorer XS and 15" WOT coil.
On a fresh water beach
Dry sand for 12 inchs.
I dug a silver plated bottle opener
At maximum arm reach with a scoop.
At least 30 inchs.
Nice firm quiet signal before digging
Just started screaming at a foot
I truly thought I was digging another tire rim.
That would one wore me out.

Here in Oklahoma, 6-10 inch deep is the sweet spot …… I personally don’t want to dig deeper. I do mostly private permission old homes . Home owners look out and see me digging deeper than my elbow, I will surely be asked to leave. Just my two cents . Tony

I have found 90% of my older coins in the 8 inch range. Found a large cent from 14 inches once with an Explorer XS.

To say a deep coin it's all about your soil.
Culpeper, Virginia 5-6" is deep (red mineralized soil)
Central Florida 10-12" is deep (Loamy neutral soil)

A lot depends on the type of site I'm hunting.

Older Parks and similar locations that have a regularly mowed grass and a lot of leafy trees that lose those leaves to decay:
* Modern coin loss the past 40 years (aka Zinc Penny Era) surface to 4".
* Deeper coins are typically over 4" to about 7".
* Very deep coins are over an honest 7".

Mining, Ranching, Farming, RailRoad era and Military & Pioneer Encampment areas, Forts, etc., Homesteads from 1850's through the Depression Era to 1940:
* About 85% have been surface-viewable to 4, if that. Generally shallower.
* Occasionally over 4" to an honest 6" are typically what we consider to be a 'deep' coin'.

Most of the places I have hunted for over five decades do not have many deeper coins, and I have had detectors that would go that deep. It's been more site selection that has been in my favor.

Monte