Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Definition of "Dongle"

davidtn

A device that attaches to a computer to control access to a particular application. Dongles provide the most effective means of copy protection. Typically, the dongle attaches to a PC's parallel port. On Macintoshes, the dongle sometimes attaches to the ADB port. The dongle passes through all data coming through the port so it does not prevent the port from being used for other purposes. In fact, it's possible to attach several dongles to the same port.

Okay now I'm thinking of something along the line of a USB - like my camera's connecting to my laptop via USB. So this must be one of those other plug looking things on the computer. Now I don't see any place to plug in to the Vision like my camera's etc.
I haven't heard to this Dongle thing till here on this forum.

There are more than one type of dongles. A plain "Dongle" usually refers to what Davidtn mentions, a type of security device attached to a usb, serial, or parallel port for a particular software application.

The other type is usually called a "wireless dongle" and is what I believe Carl and others are meaning (a wireless dongle based on the V3's frequency so that the pc can communicate to the detector). I go to my supplier and ask for a Bluetooth Dongle and they know it means the little USB Bluetooth receiver.

Anyways, google "wireless dongle" and you'll see what I mean. Here's a brief description on one site. http://www.wirelessdongle.co.uk/

A wireless dongle would be my guess as well since I assume the Vision will have that capability to transmit that way.

What I'm curious about is will we be able to share programs via the Internet and then download them to our machine? Exciting stuff to think about.

It was wireless so you could be in the field and download a programs that your friend was using that seem to be getting better result i understood that the machine would be next to each other and transmit to one another through a program.

Visions can communicate with each other now (share programs). When the dongle becomes available, your Vision will be able to communicate with your computer as well.. You will be able to email someone your killer program & they will be able to load it wireless from the computer through the dongle to the Vision.. The Dongle will also have software that will allow editing of programs on the computer.. If the software doesn't have a compare feature you can use a file compare utility like WinMerge to see quickly what the difference are between 2 programs .. wildherre