Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deleon erratic

I got my deleon the other day and took it out in frosty ground. It chattered continuously, I got out the next day on a manicured lawn that was thawed and it seemed ok. I chased the deleon around with a whites classic II,which operated quietly. Anyway I called tesoro and gave them a heads up. Anyway I,m going to wait 2 weeks till the ground is thawed and check it again. I also have a vaquero. A note about the whites Classic II, technology hasn't got us very far, I think it will find 90% or more of what the vaquero will find. In closing anybody come across frost ground with there deleon?

I had almost the exact same issue that you are describing. Do a search under "DeLeon issue" from a few weeks back and read, it's just as you described. I sent mine back to Tesoro since my dealer was unwilling to help. Rusty called me and we talked about it. They could find nothing wrong with the DeLeon. They matched the DeLeon to my 5.75 coil and sent it back. It's worked like a champ every since. My ground was cold and frozen at the time also. I guess maybe the ground could have had something to do with it, but who knows. I haven't had a problem with the DeLeon since.

ohp800max

I get a little chatter from mine if I use the 10X12 coil, but it's smooth with the 9X8 or 5.75.
BB

i just got a deleon a week ago and i have noticed it is kinda erratic in the wet ground. the screen was bouncing around and about drove me crazy a couple of times. is it possible that all the moisture in the ground right now causes the iron signals to become more prominent than when the ground has a normal amount of moisture? i hunted an old picnic grounds on tuesday with the deleon and my fisher cz 7a pro and the coins i found were with the cz. they were mercury dimes down 8 inches in really wet black dirt and surrounded by rusty nails and gave an iron growl mixed with a high coin reading. i had never noticed the iron so much there before in all the years i have hunted this site. i really think the heavy moisture is the problem...anyone else have any ideas?...........thanks.......roger

I,m hoping that the frost is the problem, I,m not sending in the warranty card until it works the way I want. Then its sent back to the dealer. I still think and hope its the frost. Anyway will keep forum informed

Sometimes erratic behavior can be corrected by something as simple as changing to a new battery. I do not know why it works that way, but sometimes it does. Perhaps some electronic whiz here can explain that to me.

Not necessarily in that order, but you'll note a common point to be considered .... (as if anyone who knows me can't figure out what I'm about to say. :rofl: )

ohp800max said:
I had almost the exact same issue that you are describing. Do a search under "DeLeon issue" from a few weeks back and read, it's just as you described. I sent mine back to Tesoro since my dealer was unwilling to help. Rusty called me and we talked about it. They could find nothing wrong with the DeLeon. They matched the DeLeon to my 5.75 coil and sent it back.
Obviously they DID find something 'wrong" and "matched your DeLe

ohp800max
I had almost the exact same issue that you are describing. Do a search under "DeLeon issue" from a few weeks back and read, it's just as you described. I sent mine back to Tesoro since my dealer was unwilling to help. Rusty called me and we talked about it. They could find nothing wrong with the DeLeon. They matched the DeLeon to my 5.75 coil and sent it back.Obviously they DID find something 'wrong" and "matched your DeLe

Sadly, we read/have read too often on this Tesoro Forum as well as many other forums where someone with a particular factory preset detector has some issues with noise, chirping, false signals and all manner of the same condition cased by something other than outside EMI. Sure it causes it too, but ....

I can guarantee you that there are many more people who read these forums and do NOT post when they are having the same things happen simply because they don't want to "start a war" or get anyone riled up. personally, I don't let trivial things like this bother me. The ones being "bothered" are those who have invested $$$ and time in a piece of equipment that either hasn't been well thought out or just isn't shipped ready-to-use.

ohp800max said:
I had almost the exact same issue that you are describing.
And many others have similar problems with certain models, especially, and the most common cause is an errant internal GB trimmer setting. Let me add this thought, however, and that is I don't believe Tesoro is responsible for all of the various pre-set models being "out-of-calibration." Fact: I have experienced too many "turn-on-and-go" Tesoro's (and some other makes) that came new out of the box needed to be calibrated. I have received them when I was a Tesoro Dealer, I have unboxed them and checked them out when I have worked with at least three other dealers. I see them when people have attended my seminars, and I've been doing them for 29+ years now. I know that some just don't have a functional GB (most frequently set too negative) as they are delivered.

But I will say that I have seen some that I've tweaked for folks that were mis-adjusted by a former owner. This seems to be more the case over the last 12+ years due to all the Internet classifieds and E- auction places and a consumer gets a model that has seen some tinkering of the internals. heck, look at all the modified Cibolas and Golden

Monte,

There is NOT a problem and I DO enjoy your posts and your expertise (that's why I love this forum)... Maybe I'm a little Emo, but something about your post really rubbed me the wrong way. I was trying to relay a similar experience to a fellow DeLeon user in hopes of helping out somewhat and then all of a sudden, several of us (me mostly) are steamrolled like our peon inputs are of little to no significance...(Rant over) Anyway, I just took a bottle of Paxil and washed it down with a 6 pack . I feel like a whole new man and my "take my ball and quit playing" emotions are over!!!! Oddly enough, I could have sworn I just saw a Unicorn rubbing cocoa butter on it's belly out in the snow this morning??? Okay, I'm getting off track!!!!

Monte, you're the best, so keep those posts coming. I love to read them and I am constantly waiting for you to chime in on particular questions that are of interest to me. I too hope that Tesoro will come out with a new TID machine that will knock our socks off and the thread you started on thoughts for a new Tesoro machine have some great ideas and reading what people want in a detector is just what Tesoro needs. Obviously, of course, there is sometimes a difference between what we want and what can feasibly be achieved. TID, auto ground tracking or MGB in both modes, etc and I'm all over it! I think a lot of folks will be. For now, I feel the DeLeon is the best bang for the buck in reference to a TID machine from Tesoro (I like it over the Cortes) for the larger display, same circuitry, price, etc. I was always a little confused on why they did the MGB for AM only??? Anyway, here's to you and cups held up in a toast that Tesoro unveils the groundbreaking new Unicorn, oooops, I mean the Coyote!!!

ohp800max

I took the deleon out today in the same area that caused the chatter, its been warm here for the past few days and it has quieted down quite a bit, it does still chatter in areas that are shadowed and have not thawed out yet. So I do believe its the frozen ground that's been my problem. My back yard is about 40 by 100 and have used a QXT on it a few times, a minelab Sov about 20 times and went over it with the vaquero about twice, shouldn't be anything left, well the deleon pulled two silver dimes one king george 1947 at 9 inches and Elizabeth 1959 at 8 inches and 4 pennys at 5 to 6 inches and I only done a small corner.
Went to a virgin Park in my town, the British military used it in ww2 so it has a little bit of history. Spent about 2 hours and got about $4 in clad every thing at about 4 inches, this thing loves the steel dimes, got about 7 of them, a $2 coin and a $1 coin and a quarter and lots of pennys. I dug a lot of pull tabs to see where they were on the scale. On my QXT and Minelab with dti meter all the Canadian coins read the top of scale which left you wondering what you were digging. On the deleon they are from 68 to 95 on the scale so I know if I'm digging a new penny or the other coins, All 1967 and older will come in at 95.. For a preset ground balance machine I think it is very deep, loves Canadian silver, sees Canadian coins different from what I am used to. Is light as a feather, especially compared to the minelab, You don't need a degree to operate it. I find it still a bit talkative but it jumps on Canadian silver and the steel dimes. On pennys it doesn't knock on them like the silver. That's how I describe it.
In closing I think the deleon is a hit for me in my neck of the woods, I,m happy on how it performed on these two sites, maybe it will suck on the salt water beach, anyway I also own a Vaquero and a new in the box classic II whites I bought for $117. By the way I,m Vaughn IN Cape Breton Nova Scotia

I had the same problem when I got a Deleon. Sent the detector to Tesoro with a bag of dirt, they calibrated the ground balance to my dirt and the problem was fixed.

Interestingly enough, the person I sold it too also had the same problem when I sent it to him. The Deleon GB trimmer must be really touchy.

Monte has seen this happen over and over again, so when he says it's a too negative GB trimmer, you can take it to the bank that it's an erratic ground balance setting, not frozen ground.

Very few, if any, on this forum can match the knowledge that Monte has.

And no one that I've noticed shares anywhere near the knowledge that he does.

Monte is an invaluable resource and a good guy. If he comes across as knowing way more than the rest of us, it's because he does.

Well, I'm another fan of Monte's and often learn from his posts. That said, back to the DeLeon - fixed ground balance machines may have problems that vary with different locations and/or coils. I mentioned that mine gives a little chatter with the 10X12 which I tried in response to another post that mentioned problems with that coil. I only tried it in one location just to see and post a response. If I need the larger coil I'll probably use my Eldorado that has manual GB. Anyway, I've had excellent results with my DeLeon with the 9X8, 7" concentric and the 5.75" concentric in the parks and fair grounds near me that I have hunted. The audio is quiet until over a target and the TID locks on quite well except in highly trashy areas where one should expect it to bounce. All in all I've been quite happy with the D.
BB

Well I can tell mr. Monte that it DOES have something to do with the frost. You don't need a PHD in BS to see and hear, and it IS as simple as that. I've had a Deleon to many different locations last season including wet salt beach, and a couple of mine sites, It was as quiet as a bird everywhere I went. Hearing about the thread starter's problem I took mine out, and where the ground was hard it was "acting up" this is the exact same land where in the previous season it did not.

So it is NOT a GB problem. I don't even know why you would suggest it was, If I was to put my GB2 purposely out of whack, it would not cause it to false. Also have an Omega with continuous readout of GB it changes with every step, if it were a fixed GB machine, according to you I would need to send it back to the factory for each square foot of ground I wanted to search. Your ridiculous.

To set the record straight for readers, your insinuation that Deleon and Tesoro's in general tend to false alot is a FALSE statement. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Now go ahead bash me, like you have the others and Tesoro in general.

Well, I hope I don't want to add more Drama to this post, but I do "think" the frost has something to do with it. We are just now thawing out from 5 inches of snow from the first day of Spring! I decided to test the frost theory yesterday. I took the D out to four of the most common areas that I hunt. Keep in mind that I hunt these areas with the D frequently without a peep from the D (other than targets). At all four locations, the D went Ape$*it crazy! Falsing and sounding off on nearly every swing, during the swing, after the swing, when held still! It literally seemed like the D was possessed! You name it, it was sounding off. This was almost the exact same conditions that the D was acting up the first time I used it when I sent it to Tesoro and Rusty Henry said they could find nothing wrong with the D!?!?!?

Anyway, I'm no expert by any means, but I feel like the frost has something to do with it. We are now expecting 70 degree days for the remainder of the week. When the ground thaws a bit, I will hit the exact same areas and report how the D behaves. Interestingly enough, others, including my dealer, advised that the frozen ground was what was causing my problem..... Just food for thought.

ohp800max

I have owned a D for two years or so love its performance, found a lot. Put on a 5.75 chattered continuously sent it back 2ND one the same. I took off the face cover 2 blue pots on bottom right, i put a mark on the turn screw and housing so i could see how far i move it. Tweaked the left one only a fraction CCW test coil out on lawn no more chatter. So yesterday i tried it with stock coil and 5.75 CW just past mark all over the place just had to give it a very little shakes holding it straight out in front of me. Put the coil to the ground same. Put it back to my marks no problems at all...

rick (nova scotia) said:
Well I can tell mr. Monte that it DOES have something to do with the frost. You don't need a PHD in BS to see and hear, and it IS as simple as that. I've had a Deleon to many different locations last season including wet salt beach, and a couple of mine sites, It was as quiet as a bird everywhere I went. Hearing about the thread starter's problem I took mine out, and where the ground was hard it was "acting up" this is the exact same land where in the previous season it did not.

So it is NOT a GB problem. I don't even know why you would suggest it was, If I was to put my GB2 purposely out of whack, it would not cause it to false. Also have an Omega with continuous readout of GB it changes with every step, if it were a fixed GB machine, according to you I would need to send it back to the factory for each square foot of ground I wanted to search. Your ridiculous.

To set the record straight for readers, your insinuation that Deleon and Tesoro's in general tend to false alot is a FALSE statement. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Now go ahead bash me, like you have the others and Tesoro in general.

OK Rick, I'll bash you.

While I wouldn't argue that frozen ground could be a problem sometimes, I do know that the Deleon preset GB is extremely touchy.

When I had a problem with mine, I had to send it in twice. The first time they retuned the coil, checked it out and said it was fine. I got it back and it did the same thing. So I was told to send it in with a bag of dirt from my area. I did, they balanced the GB to my dirt and it was fine. Now when I sold the unit the fellow I sold it to in another part of the country had the same problem. He sent it in to Tesoro with a bag of his dirt and his problem was solved.

So my experience tells me that the Deleon GB is prone to having an incorrect GB setting.

I'm sure Monte will respond much better than I can, I don't want to speak for him too much. I'm guessing he'll probably explain how a typical fixed GB machine is calibrated and he'll explain why he thought the Deleon had a GB issue. Although actually he already did explain that. And he clearly and logically explained why he thought the Deleon in question had a GB issue.

But you definitely misrepresented what Monte said. He certainly never suggested that Tesoros in general are prone to falsing, he was specifically referring to the Deleon. And the fact that he prefers some older Tesoro machines to the newer models does not make him a Tesoro basher.

Monte has nothing to be ashamed of. His opinions may not always be the same as yours or mine, but he backs them up with a whole lot of knowledge which he has generously shared with all of us. You could edit Monte's posts on this forum and write several good books.

Obviously you have a Deleon and are very fond of it. The fact that Monte isn't is no reason for you to attack him the way you have.

You owe Monte an apology.

So my deleon and a few others work well on thawed ground, and not on frozen, Does that mean I need an Adjustment, No. And I understand the fixed ground balance issue with this detector.and I'm lucky that my ground is favorable with this detectors setting. I think the deleon is a fine machine and maybe like the whites classic sl should have had an ability to tweak the GB{Monte speaks favorable of this series of detectors}. And yes I believe Monte is Knowledgeable around detectors but that doesn't mean he is right about this problem, Maybe a gb tweak might have quieted the deleon down on frozen ground only to have it erratic on thawed ground. Monte seems to have a negative sentiment toward some tesoro models and have read this on his post on a few different forums. I'm sure tesoro has seen that the cortees and the deleon have cost them some money and have pissed off a few buyers of these detectors. But in the end once adjusted I bet everyone ends up happy. A warning needs not to be issued against the deleon or the Cortees. I will still read Monte's posts, but when you have a detector and read negative stuff about it on different sites from the same guy you will come to my conclusion. Now that the ground is thawed I will use my Deleon and If I want to detect frozen Ground I'll have to use something else. Looks like I don't have a problem