Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth and Accuracy...with the v3i

ronpa1

Hope someone can help me figure this out. My quarters and dimes at 8 to 81/2 inches are giving me a VDi reading of 91 92 93 with the DD coil, and the950 coil. These coins at 6 to 6 1/2 inches the VDi's are where they should be. This bothers me somewhat on deeper coins, we're talking a 8 to 10 vdi spread. Tried different filters no luck. Yet when running in single 2.5 Freq the vdi's are closer to the right vdi's on these coins. Can running in 3 freq throw the vdi's off at depth? Thanks all...

A lot of variables here. What settings are you using? Are you ground balanced good? Etc...
I have never seen a dime or quarter come in the 90s at all. The VDI # will start to degrade the deeper the target gets. Quarter will hit about 82, 83, and dimes are about 75, 76, unless it's a silver dime then it starts at about 79 unless it's a barber or seated then it could start at 74...and so on. Lots of variables.

On deep targets, VDI's are not very reliable, especially with a DD style coil in very mineralized ground. The detector is averaging the target with the mineralization in most cases. I dig all targets 6 inches or more no matter what the VDI is.

Magic, using Your program as well, I get a good Ground balance, Sens +8-10,AM =65, Disc, 85-88. My ground Probe reading comes in at -93. Now at depth beyond 7 1/2 if I 90 degree the target I will get some more accurate numbers, but the tone is strong from all angles. But Yes 91-93 For the most part...

I have had some very strange VDI #s come up before but it was always a ground balance problem. If you use a coil cover, make sure it's clean.
Try an air test and see if they come in normal, if so, it's got to be in the ground setting such as balance. If they come in high like that in the air,..there is another problem.

Ok, so we know it's not the machine. Try running a stock program, use loctrack for ground balance settings and find a nice clean spot to balance at. As Larry and I both stated, coins will hit the best when shallow and as they get deeper, past 6 to 8 inches, the VDI #s will start to fall somewhat. They definatly shouldn't raise. What state do you live in and do you know anyone in your area that has a V3?

I live in Pa, but like I mentioned before the stock deep silver program running single freq they ID correctly. I do notice that when I check for the quietest freq the 2.5 is lways the best, seems freq offsets don't help the other two at all. Just this morning I hit on a sinc, 4 " down it kept hitting the mid 80's thought forsure it was a quarter. I've owned the machine close to 2 years (Nov), have your book, but lately all numbers are registering way higher. Mary walked me thru the master reset, worked good for a couple of hunts then its drifting off again. The coils test ok...it happens with all coils...numbers skew higher. I do find a clean spot to GB, always did :sleepy:

I would have to think you have a machine problem. For starters 2.5 kHz usually picks up the most EMI. As the targets get deeper the VDI usually shift lower. If the master reset worked for a few hunts then started drifting something is electronically correct.

Since it worked after the reset that eliminates the coils and your ability to ground balance. Hey, are your VDI normalized? If they are I think it is a doctors visit that is needed.[attachment 242542 Reading.gif]

I would agree with Rob, make sure you VDI is normalized,...that will definatly change the VDI #s.
If that isn't the problem, I would call Whites. I don't think I have ever heard of this problem before.

I have had the same issue with the VDI reading 91 on silver dimes and clad quarters, also zincs at 45-50 and wheats at 83 84 normal copper pennies at 61-76 range. Stupid question.... how do you normalize VDI?

Ive dug two 9 inch deep large cents with my V3i D2 coil , and they both ID'ed at a solid 90 (81vdi in air tests/shallower depths) vdi in all directions with 3 frequency. I've also dug several deep miniballs that gave higher vdi numbers as well. Also, I buried a wheat penny at 8.5 inches and it vdi's like a quarter. I just figured the v3i up averages deeper targets in my type of ground. The vdi might be off, but these targets don't sound like trash/iron, so I dont mind.

rustydigger said:
I have had the same issue with the VDI reading 91 on silver dimes and clad quarters, also zincs at 45-50 and wheats at 83 84 normal copper pennies at 61-76 range. Stupid question.... how do you normalize VDI?
Look here.. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1319867

Being that the coins hit normal in the air and not in the ground it sounds to me like another problem with filters or ground balance. Maybe Whites can Jump in on this. I don't have an answer for this unless I could have the detector in front of me and play with it. Your not offsetting your ground balance manually are you?

Ok, I've been told that for some reason, some ground will act that way. One way to try and correct the problem is to use correlate and open up the span. the VDI # should read closer.

magic said:
Ok, I've been told that for some reason, some ground will act that way. One way to try and correct the problem is to use correlate and open up the span. the VDI # should read closer.

That is very true cause it only happens on certain grounds with rich soil, sand and wooded areas its closer to the correct number. Ill try to do the correlate instead of best data. Thanks for the info very helpful thread for me .

Hi Magic,
I've been following this post real closely because i've been experiencing the same scenario with my V3i with coins 8"s or deeper giving high vdis 8 to 10 points higher than what the coin vdis at in an air test.Must be the soil here in Pa. I just sent my V in had a bad 10DD coil they replaced it and gave it a master reset about a month and a half ago. Good people at Whites !! It runs great but still had a problem with the deeper coins and high vdis. Air tests are right on the money so the V is ok. So i tried what you suggested with correlate and opened up the span 35-45 and that seemed to close up the vdis and put them closer to where they are supposed read for different coins. Looks like i may have to start using correlate more even though i've been a best data man up to this point but if that is what the ground i hunt in dictates so be it. Thanks for the tip Magic and Good Hunting !!