Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth and iron question.

robertk

Actually it's a couple of questions.

I've been hunting a place where there is a good possibility I could find some older coins (in continuous public use since the mid-1800's), but am not doing that well. I'm finding plenty of coins, but they're all modern, and they're all deep. I've been digging clad quarters, dimes, and pennies at 6" to 8". I've dug a total of two wheat pennies so far, both were 8" deep or so. There doesn't seem to be an excessive amount of trash, but there do seem to be a fair number of deep iron signals. There doesn't seem to be much of anything in the top 3" or 4", other than an occasional coin laying right at the surface.

I'm using the "Coin & Jewelry" program, with the discriminate sensitivity at 90, all metal at 75, gain around 7, recovery delay at 80, filter at 10 high, with the stock D2 coil.

The first question is, are those deep iron signals trustworthy as being iron, or should I be digging them? Most are jumpy and will null out from one direction or another, but ping up into the positive VDI range from some other angle. I've tried flipping to the "Deep Silver" program to check them, but the signals don't seem to change much.

The second question is, would switching to the Super 12 coil be an advantage in this scenario?

If no trash the super 12 could be of great advantage as for deep signals you just never know till you dig a few of them. The deep silver is a great program.I have dug quite a few old nails deep as well I have found several old coins on the deep side also that were very iffy. My motto is if its deep and it peeps I dig it most of the time. Good luck Yazoo

I would have to agree with Yazoo 100% Robert. Depth does not seem to be your problem and I would tend to dig a few "whazit's" just to see what is down there.