Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Discrimination?

filo

I'm not super knowledgeable about metal detector design but would it be possible to incorporate some sort of depth discrimination into a future version of the etrac (or other detector)? Often, depth is one of the most reliable readings and I like to dig almost anything beyond a certain depth. It seems to me that depth discrimination would be really useful. Thoughts?

I agree at times. My two oldest coins have come from depths less than 3 inches though. I think the big problem maybe when you have a canning lid or smashed aluminum can at 12". To me anyway they can sound the same as a quarter at 6-8 inches...and I don't know how they would be able to differentiate the two.

NebTrac

where you could establish that a majority of old targets are deeper than some threshold. I've found that scaling back the gain to 25 or so acts as an audio discriminator for depth - makes it much easier to hear the difference between shallow an deep signals. I don't have to glance at my depth meter much anymore, usually only to visually confirm what I'm hearing in the headphones. I agee though, it would be cool to have the ability to have a setting like SHALLOW AUDIO = OFF, controlled by the user who would set which depth this would kick in at. - Jim