Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth of V3I and finding gold / silver

vatos

On this moment i have the DFX.
People who had the DFX before and hunting now with the Spectra , how is the depth and silver /gold findings in comparison with the DFX

Gr Arend

This has been answered recently in favor of the V3i. I'll have to leave this one for Larry, as I came from an MXT. Rob

I have been following your posts on the E-Trac forum and you have quite a decision to make. If you decide to move up from the DFX to the V3i you should notice the V3i is deeper across the board and much more sensitive in the lower VDI range especially if you are going to hunt small gold targets. I don't think any of us that made the move from the DFX would want to trade back down again.

Thank you larry.
Yes really its a very difficult decision.
i just wanna hear some opinions, but they all are not the same.
Likely nobody can say for sure what's the best detector.
It would be wise for me to go to a shop who has several detectors and then use them.
The only thing i wouldn't like is selling my DFX and buying a new one and missing gold or silver.

Ty again

That is why we do not do comparisons on the forums, they are a collection of opinions and yours is the only one that really matters and working with your dealer is the way to go my friend. Good luck and I hope you will be a regular on this forum when you deside...........:thumbup:

I was a hard core DFX user. I used the Super12 on the DFX exclusively, for the last couple of my DFX years, and did very well in the park environment and parkway strips. I still have my DFX, and currently own a Whites Vision with the second software/firmware revision. Mine was number 17 off the bench. I can tell you that it did not take me to long to figure out that I had missed a lot of good stuff with the DFX. The Vision quickly proved itself as a vastly superior detector despite recurring D2 coil failure. This however, is not an issue anymore with the D2 coil as far as I am concerned. To answer your question more directly I have found hundreds of Silver Dimes in the same areas that produced only Wheats for the DFX. Dimes are the most common find for me in previously hunted areas. Indians from depth have a habit of popping up on a regular basis as well. So it would seem that the DFX did a good job on the Wheats but missed these coins. A lot of these finds were also in close proximity to deep iron or trash targets that apparently been masking there locations while using the DFX. Final answer, I would not hesitate to move on to the Vision/V3/V3i. So why do I still have my DFX? I have my DFX because I have a Bigfoot coil that is second to none in Quarter raking and ring hunting.

Jack

vatos said:
The only thing i wouldn't like is selling my DFX and buying a new one and missing gold or silver.

Ty again

For sure for gold the V3i would be the right choice for sure. For silver both of the V and the unnamed detector are good choices. Larry and Jack are very experienced DFX users.

Well ... considering that the DFX is permanently locked into the salt compensation mode it is not surprising some of the lower VDI numbers are blocked out.
Also depth will suffer compensating for salt.

The V3i is the DFX concept taken to a higher level ... and how about that color screen ... that alone should make other users jealous.

Willee

The V-3 is the best all around detector out there- with the ability to be tweaked for custom use, a lot to learn yes, but once you master the settings for your hunt and environment you'll never look back at that DFX buried in the closet

i am using the old xlt and have been out of touch just getting back to detecting and looking for a few good idea's especially about the v3i

Welcome to the forum and past posts are full of ideas.......... a lot more than a few. You have a lot of reading to do.......:biggrin:

Just wanting to concur with Larry and Cyber Sage. LOved my DFX , would never think about going back and my finds with the V3/V3i (in places I've pounded) are close in to trash silver and deeper Wheats and Indians.

With my DFX, it took me a bit to learn the adjustments to get through EMI and achieve great depth. (Now it all seems so obvious.) Even though I did get to understand my DFX well.....after looking around, I still could have learned quite a bit more.

Having the DFX beforehand....learning went real lineal fast..... and post V3i upgrade (Smoother for me.) faster. The thing that totally cinched it was going back into a spot (finally) that pulsed with EMI, and began pulling quantity of wheats and silver. (This place prompted me to send a letter to whites that made promos concerning the DFX.) Now the V3i goes in there...things are much more "quiet" (and not so Tone ID dependent/amongst chatter), finds things much more "normal". The interface rocks and smooooooth.

[size=large]The DFX guys have spoken !!![/size]

[attachment 184644 Reading.gif]

DFX had its place but for me I have always used raw depth machines like DMC 2-B nautilus, White's 5900, White's Specturm, eagles etc.
DFX worked well on salt beaches but was never created for monster depth.

I have been relic hunting since 1973 and used every machine. V3 in boost in good soil with same size coil is deeper than any other detector giving a solid signal. Some like the explorer will be close but you may just get a squeak initially where the V3 gives an obious hit. Hard to explain but a fact.

I still have a lot to learn but I am getting Minnie balls at measured 14" in pounded sites and the deepest target so far in all metal is a 1" X 2" shell fragment at 16" measured. V3 is also super sensitive to brass, cuff buttons, small lead and percussion caps IE you will not miss anything made of metal. I found 3 cannon friction primers on 3 different gun emplacements that I had been over with a fine tooth comb since 1973. They were really deep but right out in the open so no way I did not go over them in the past. Two were unfired so they have a metal wire inside that makes them even harder to pick up in disc. mode
I also dug a shot spencer cartridge over 14" in the side of a trench and they are hard to pick up as well.
I can't believe all the small 22 short cases, 22 bullet heads and percussion caps I am finding.

So far I only use High pro mode. Hope this helps

Jerry

I'd have to agree with CyberSage I still have my DFX because of the Bigfoot Coil they are a great match for certain targets, the V-3i gets used the most now. The color screen and other functions are great, a real cool experience to detect with the V-3i along with finding other targets others have missed.