Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

depth on coins

jmaryt

was just wondering if you guys are really hitting coins at depth with the g2/gb pro?
are you mostly finding surface,and or shallow "scratch"?..what has been your depths on average you
are getting coins at in general,either silver,or clad?..any and all input welcomed and appreciated!
thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I am very satisfied with the depth of my GB SE.

When you talk depth everything is relative and should we measure depth when a coin is on edge at only 4 inches and many detectors dont see that coin at all.

It has to be experienced and understood to have any meaning but those who have tried alot of detectors will know what i mean. The bug sniffs out things no other detector i have tried do and does it like a champ at good depth.

How do you measure 0" against 3". Hmmm

One other thing is that the GB seem to have very good ID at depth, it ups the id on deeper stuff and "sniff" it out for you so you dont pass it as you may have done with a different detector.

For plain depth in fairly clean ground (5"coil) i say the GB has a 8" potential on a flat out dime in undisturbed soil, between 8" and surface it has the best potential i have ever seen to unmask.......!!!!

With 11" coil i say depth on mine has a 10" potential. But still finding stuff invisible to other detectors in the 10 inches of soil.

I have owned and own many detectors.

I have found a 6 inch dime on its side !

thanks for the reply!..yes depth IS relative to the conditions,and my question was a "general" one as there are indeed many factors to deal with!
however,that said,if your "bug" is getting that kind of the depth,then i can't get one fast enough,because those depths mentioned are certainly going to
get the silver and older coins here in new england.the ability to "hunt in the junk" cannot be over emphasized,as it is my belief,that there are still "tons"
of coins walked over due to masking,and from all i have read,the g2/'gold bug has the "best" separation yet of the recent offerings from fisher/teknetics
just sayin!..

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Ken do you have a photo of that six inch dime ???
Just teasing ya ...

If you want to see clad OK :rofl:

I will echo exactly what bfodnes says...I don't have the 5" coil, but he is right on when he discussed the 11"coil -- those types of depths are what my machine is capable of also. Not long ago, my machine NAILED a wheat penny at all of 7", was a VERY solid hit, and I can see 10" coins in my test garden, when the soil is not dry as a bone (which it has been recently). In all metals mode, it's even DEEPER. I can hit 12" coins in my garden in all-metals mode. And yes, the excellent ID with depth makes this machine EFFECTIVELY deeper than others I've used.

Steve

Hmm I still have yet to get anything over 4".I still have yet to put much time into detecting this year because of weather.I bought it for its amazing iron seperation and has not dissapointed me there.The deep coins have yet to be found but they will come in time with practise.

I want to try all-metal mode and use the graph to dig good high conductive targets.Be alot of noise but If the VDI graph is higher than 70 on a target be a good chance for deep silver.
I like the fact that there is some sort of target ID in all-metal mose,I read the instructions again and forgot all about this feature.

Let us know how that goes.

I have found that in-ground and unlike some of those other machines "air test' depths on coins are no problem.

Tom

thanks for all the responses!.."nasty" for sure!
"'all metal" sounds like a "weapon" at depth with "'gain"
"'cranked" and showing a "high" number!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I did some hunting in all-metal.I tried to find a less trashy area of the park field.I tried a few gain settings 80-95.It was crazy and you had to really pay attention to all the signals going on in your head! I lasted about a hour and recovered a penny some junk targets at 60 VDI. ALso some false signlas when run at a real high gain.

There is power lines not that far away on 2 sides of the field.So I blame some falsing on the power lines.At a settin gof 80 gain it was alot better.

I don't think one could stand to hunt this way in high trash area's but in a field with less trash and your looking for deep relics this would be the way to hunt.This is how I will be hunting a old fort site I am looking for.

The graph was real good and you can cross check in Disc mode.Its 2 bad they could not get a small VDI number squashed into the screen someplace in all-metal.

hey rockpup -- agreed...a small VDI number would have been nice, or the ability to toggle between ground phase readout and VDI readout when in all-metals mode -- where if you toggle to VDI, the speedometer dial shows your continuous ground phase; if you toggle to ground phase digital readout -- then you see the VDI on the speedometer. This "toggle" ability would be really cool!

Steve

rockpup1 said:
Hmm I still have yet to get anything over 4".I still have yet to put much time into detecting this year because of weather.I bought it for its amazing iron seperation and has not dissapointed me there.The deep coins have yet to be found but they will come in time with practise.

I want to try all-metal mode and use the graph to dig good high conductive targets.Be alot of noise but If the VDI graph is higher than 70 on a target be a good chance for deep silver.
I like the fact that there is some sort of target ID in all-metal mose,I read the instructions again and forgot all about this feature.

I've tried all metal and if it shows on the VDI in all metal it would also show on the discrim screen - try the threshold at +6 in all metal turn the volume down on your headphones and listen for repeatable 2 way signals with nothing on the VDI other than numbers.

I had the GB with 11" coil. Software v 4. My machine struggled on coins. It would air test a quarter in disc mode to about 8 inches but in ground it wouldn't hit one beyond 4-6 inches. It would in all metal but not disc...it read as iron. I did a video on a minie ball that ended up giving only a whisper with no id at all but in all metal it was a minie at 8-10 inches. What is really impressive to me was the sensitivity to small thin gold. It can hit a sub gram nugget at 3" which is almost half of what I could get a dime! It picked up a gold 2mm chain at 2-3 inches...I have a top of the line water detector that don't even break the threshold on that chain. Fisher needs to water proof the GB...it would be the best VLF water machine on the market.

I cannot say what depth I am getting. I do not worry about depth.. I do know that I am working 1 athletic fields here in NYC. I have pulled 125 PLUS dollars and still finding coins.
I am talking about the grass area insing a running track with a circle for shot putt, ahigh jump area and running long jump area.
This is a fairly large area to work but I think $125 in 23 hunts is fairly decent.

excellent results !..the reason i ask is because of the 19khz frequency,and it's ability to "see"
older coins at depth!.if it is "consistently" seeing 'em at 6" or more,than it will be an excellent
tool for hunting in trash laden parks with it's 2 super quick processors allowing it to "snake" between
the crap,and get deep enough to "grab" silver!.also the fact it is minimally affected by (e.m.i) can make it an extremely effective
little hunter under those conditions!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.