Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

depth on coins

Ken in Georgia said:
I have found a 6 inch dime on its side !

I found this old post to be interesting and a good read and I think Ken's depth are right on the money over all.

I think that the 6" to 8" range is normal and reasonable in most conditions and have found that to be true with most all the good VLF type detectors I have owned throughout the years. VLF detectors can only do so much when comes to depth and are limited by certain factors.(some do better than others) I think good search techniques and proper set up play a big part in finds and depth is secondary but necessary.

Below is a quote from Dave Johnson with Fisher & Tecknetics and I believe this confirms what I have found to be true with most all my detectors over all. He talks about depths of 7" in general and and a little more or max depths in all metal and this holds true again for all-most every detector I have had in general, there are exceptions.

I do think the separation capabilities of the G2 & GB are the features that will make the difference over depth in the big picture of things.

Happy & Safe Hunting To All,:detecting:
Bill G

Quote & answer from Dave Johnson on Fishers web page:thumbup:

How much depth should I get? There is no single answer to that question. In a few places, you may get in-ground depth almost as good as in an air test. There are also a few places with so much iron or salt mineralization that most detectors are not even usable. In most soils, the best discriminators will usually detect coins to a depth of 7 inches or more, and will usually provide usable discrimination and target ID to a depth of 5 inches or more. However, a particular target may not be detected or may be misidentified because of the proximity of rocks or other metal targets, disturbed soil caused by digging, peculiarities of the target, or suboptimal user technique for that target in that setting. On sites where the discriminator doesn

Just FWIW -- I get more than 7" of max depth, and 5" of good target ID, on a coin, in my soil, with my Gold Bug Pro and 11" coil. I would easily add an inch to that, if not two. And that's in disc. mode. In all-metal mode, I can hit 10" to 12" coins in my test garden (when soil is damp, not bone-dry) -- and by "hit," I mean a diggable, repeatable signal (not just an occasional peep). I have not yet seen an occasion, no matter HOW dry my soil is, that in disc. mode I cannot easily ID a 6" dime or penny, and usually the 8" as well...

Steve