Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth question on a pull tab...

Ray-Mo.

I burried a modern square tab at a full measured 9" in clean mild soil and was surprised a bit by the test results.A lot of folks have posted that the E-Trac is a bit weak on depth for the lower conductors like gold aluminum/tabs and nickels.I found that with the pro coil the tab was an easy target to hit and id in coin mode with sensitivety maxed and still hit down to 19 .All metal gave even better results and was able to raise coil a couple of inches above ground and pick it up.
I am curious if any of you all have done any testing on lower conductor type targets.

Ray,

I don't know where folks get the idea that the Etrac performs poorly on low conductors. My experience has been just the opposite. I probably have dug more nickels with my Etrac than my Explorers. Once in a while I do get fooled by a broken ring tab at depth that comes in as a good high tone.

Bill

I only hunt the parks in the spring and fall. During the rest of the year it's salt water beaches. I have dug tabs at depths that i shouldn't. Even small bits of a tab well in the 10" range. The ET does very well with the low conductors. I think that most people use them in parks etc. And not the beaches. Thats why you don't see to many people posting the gold. My pile is at ARA as we speak.

Ok,I spent about five hours today playing with low conductors today at my soccer field,after reading Rays post last night.
This was not a planted item,but random targets i had no idea what were.
I dug a large assortment of (Well) a little bit of everything.
Pulltabs,Nickels,Partial pulltabs,pieces of cans that had been ran over with mowers.
all gave a decent hit,but some i noticed if i went to pinpoint with the coil.
(By pinpoint) i don't mean using pinpoint button,i just mean ,going over the target both directions,
then turning 90 degrees.
That i could not get a tone unless i moved the coil fairly fast.
So this gave me something to figure out-----why.
The remedy was to turn Trash density high off.
Then even a slow movement would pick up the object.
Depths were mostly shallow,probably two to four inches,but there were several
that were in the seven to eight inch range.
i was running sense at 26,gain at 29.and i could tell no tone difference switching from manual to auto sensitivity.
But the targets weren't that deep here.
The pieces i was having trouble with were small pieces of aluminum.
about a third of a tab with no pull piece on it.
Anyway,another hot day out there today
you all take care.

LabradorBob