Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth questions for Etrac users

tmanfromtexas

I am just wondering about the Etrac. I have read good reviews about seeing through trash and good depth on this forum and I have read about the rest of the story regarding depth being less than desired. I have had the opportunity to use a friends etrac 3 times and I havent really found anything deep either, usually 6 inches was the max that things were there. It is a silver finder for sure as I have pulled a merc a SLQ and a walker half out in three hunts. As the depth increases on targets, I wonder if the tones change as well? Just wondering. TMAN...

I havent got anything over 6 inches yet either, and those were fairly quiet signals.. my gain still at default 24 so that may be why so quiet.. just afraid to bump up cause of the high tone iron falsing.. I probably haven't been over a coin over 6 yet, or at least one over 6 not masked out or too deep... this weekend if not too rainy I want to try another cellar hole, nothing deep there either, mainly for iron testing... I have a place where stuff is pretty deep. If I can get there also will see what happens with gain raised to 28 or 29

Believe or not my first hunt on beach produced can (unopened) at depth below 16 inches. Second day on very trashy ground produced wheat on 8-10 inches...

I was born in Corpus Christi and my mom is native Texan as well!

The e-trac gives you hints in auto +3 for how hard you can push her in Manual Override!

The first couple of weeks I ran conservative no higher than 22 Manual Override .....this was a bonding period!

I knew from the time i first powered her up that this BABY Smokes.....it does see thru iron Very well ....I would dare say better than any

production machine on the market today! But you do have to learn her language ...and yes i have used just about every BRAND under

the sun and some that are exclusive club only!........ I here people talking about Iron falsing not a problem if you know her language

I do not even pay it any attention.....and really never a problem for ME.... The good sounds will grab your attention and then you will

learn to hear sounds that are complex... but it is the sound of co mingled targets but one is Good.... the owner manual states about

which target will be more pronounced....so be careful in your set up you can shoot your self in the foot if you are not careful !!!!!

I am now running 27-30 sensitivity..... I do not need the targets all sounding the same.... so I am keeping the audio gain at 24

the depth is there and plenty of it ....hardest thing to teach all the macho characters is WHEN LESS IS MORE!

It is easy to over ride THE MANUAL OVERRIDE....signs are Iron falsing noisy detector .....and by all means get in a habit of noise

canceling your machine once every 2 hours at least even IF it sounds GREAT.....not all interference makes noise the worst just kills

your depth and you never Know it! Well sorry this getting long and just my opinions

Happy Trails Ps when you here a good sound and the depth gauge is off the meter ITS BAD TO THE BONE!
Jim Pugh

[size=medium]I've been hunting a place that I use every time I get a new detector. I've hunted it since 1972 and it's pretty well hunt out (So to speak). I have used Whites, Blue and Gray, Nautilus, T-2 and Fisher in this place. The last 4 time before this last time out was a bust. Plenty of iron, no non-ferrous items at all. Not even shotgun shells. I took the E-Trac to my spot (Third time out with it but 1st time to this spot). The 1st three time out with it I didn't have a clue how to set it and it sounded like a bunch of turkeys. I'm mainly a Whites hunter and this Minelab thing was just foreign. I found 3 bullets in an area I've been over a dozen times with every detector I've ever owned. All bullets were good repeatable signals. They were mainly in the 6-8" range. Two bullets were 58 cals and one was a 69 cal ball. I don't know how I could have missed them with my other detectors. This was in a high trash area so all I can think it was "seeing though the trash". I don't know the machine yet, it does have a sizable learning curve but I'm looking forward to learning this machine! I can see where it would open up some old "hunted out" camps.[/size]

Hey Tman,

I'm still learning the E-trac and I haven't gone to manual sensitivity yet. I'm digging coins at 7 and 8 inches in auto sensitivity. You're going to get more depth in manual sensitivity so I feel confident that the E-Trac will go as deep as the Explorer. Maybe you just haven't passed over a deep one yet.

I did not know that interference could be silent and cause loss of depth. Tell me everything...

I am all ears.

Julien

28 years at the school of hard knocks.....

list of likely Interference is endless from Sun spots- to top secret very low frequency communication devices of the department of defense where they use the earth as a carrier in case of nuclear war ,burst communications from satellites,radar,and god only knows EMF.... every magnetic field effects every other magnetic field.... earth, sun, moon ,galaxy etc kinda like the circle of life..
Just because we do not have high enough gain to measure all of these does not mean they do not exist........ just remember that your transmitter is full on from the time you start till you turn it off.......that s why Gain on the receiver and matching it to the hunt site is so Important SENSITIVITY and all filters associated with it......When you Over saturate the receiver winding your hunting CRIPPLED..... always know the sweet spot on gain and motion based sweep speed... sweet spot ....Any way Julien i Now know you are bored to tears and falling asleep on the key board.... So Dream of that Golden Royal You'll find My Friend!

Happy Trails
Jim Pugh

I have dug this hole twice. The first time there were people around in the park and I didn't want to go get m shovel. I hit a root at about 7"... I marked the spot and was back there a few days later. I got my shovel and dug down to a little over 12". The ET was still getting a small, repeatable, good signal. I did not have my Uni-probe with me and the Sherlock I was using was still not hitting. I think this will be a good place to make some adjustments to the gain and swing speed and see what happens.

I am going to open it up again to the same depth and see if the U-probe hits it. I am going to dog a little deeper... I can't stand it.

Thanks for the info. I will noise cancel more often and play with my gain. I've been running it on 24, I may raise it a couple of numbers and see how it hunts. However I am going to lower it a bit over this particular target to see how it acts. Swing fast, swing slow... gain up, gain down. See how far I can lower sens before I lose it... then I will have to dig it out for any of it to make usable sense.

Julien