Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

depth test of the apex

I was hoping to see some in-ground depth tests. I have watched almost all the youtube videos(only a couple) and I have not seen any extreme depth. I would guess it will be a good, but not great performer. When we hear multi-frequency, we all start thinking FBS and Equinox type performance. In all fairness, the people testing the Apex are still learning it.

A new machine with no depth test vids? Uh oh. You’d think that would be the first videos made...someone in a test garden.

Jimmy, do you personally know of others ( not testers ) that have an Apex through normal channels? Maybe this is the week. Thanks.

Jimmy, do you personally know of others ( not testers ) that have an Apex through normal channels? Maybe this is the week. Thanks.
No I don't. It has to be deeper than the ace 250. although the 250 had decent depth for the money, at least it seemed to. I only had one for a few months. I had an atpro, kelp it for a year. just wasn't my cup of tea. if the apex does not have, at least the depth of the pro I wouldn't buy one. I am pretty much a whites man, but now that they closed their doors, well I guess that's why I'm looking at the apex.

I sent an email to Garrett last week asking them when will the apex be released for sale, and they said late July or early August.

jimmy clark: said:
Just wondering why there or no depth test, air or test garden videos. the apex has been out for about six weeks You would think there would be.
Jimmy, the APEX was ANNOUNCED and had a prototype introduction or sort of a "show-and-tell" episode. At the time they stated they were working on it and hoped for an official release in July. It was then mentioned it might not be until August. Therefore, the production run APEX hasn't been released for sale and that means no new-user comments yet. Only 'testers' and those very loyal to the Garrett family of detectors.

jimmy clar: said:
No I don't. It has to be deeper than the ace 250. although the 250 had decent depth for the money, at least it seemed to. I only had one for a few months. I had an atpro, kelp it for a year. just wasn't my cup of tea. if the apex does not have, at least the depth of the pro I wouldn't buy one. I am pretty much a whites man, but now that they closed their doors, well I guess that's why I'm looking at the apex.
I would certainly hope it is deeper than the Ace 250. The larger-size coil would make it so compared with the Ace 250's standard coil, and I am sure, from the audio I have heard in what videos I have seen, that the APEX is a definite step up from any of the Ace series.

Matter-of-fact, I feel the folks at Garrett erred in lumping the APEX in their product line as an Ace series model. A very different configuration, different frequency approach and design, and different audio and additional features. It doesn't look like them, sound like them, and from what we have seen in videos it doesn't work like them. If they plan to make some upscale AT replacement models I the future, fine, but the APEX, I feel, should be a new 'mid-line' model between the lower-cost Ace series and the higher-end and waterproof AT series.

As for the cry for 'depth' we hear so often, I find that to be an over-blown desire in so many cases. 'Depth' is not going to be as important to in-the-field performance as a lot of folks imagine. Separation, quickness of response and recovery, accurate Target ID at mid-depth and deeper, Iron Audio handling and processing, and ability to handle a trashier environment and unmask those partially-masked keepers all are more important needs than simply looking for 'depth.'

"Depth of detection' most commonly would be useful in an open environment with little or no shallower targets that would cause good-target masking. And while I have hunted some sites where coins (the most often sought after targets) were located to honest deeper depths of 7" to 11", most of them are going to be located in the surface to 4" depth range under most common conditions. It takes some sort of ground disturbance by man or animal or nature, such as erosion (which includes wave action) or other deposition (such as decaying weed growth, cut lawn, fallen leaves, etc.) for coins and other lost objects to really get very deep.

I've been an Avid Detectorist for over 55 years now and I can't tell you how many times I have eyeballed coins on top of the ground or partially exposed. Seated Liberty and Barber silvers, Indian Head cents, Shield and 'V' Nickels and more, just viewable in many ghost towns, homesteads, camps, forts and other places. 'Depth' wasn't a factor at all. And to this very day, the bulk of what is found in 'natural ground conditions' (meaning unaltered trough the ages since it was last used or inhabited) remains in the surface to ±4" depth range. Yes, there have been times when additional 'depth' has been handy, and when necessary I'll go to a selected detector and coil to achieve that depth .... but it is seldom in comparison with so many claims I have heard and read.

Plowed fields and grossly altered ground are the primary reasons, and I am sure the coming Garrett APEX will provide most folks ample 'depth' and, if anything, they need to be busy making a couple of smaller-size coils than that newfangled 'standard' coil they came up with. There are more places with dense brush, building rubble, metal structures and a lot of ferrous and non-ferrous debris most detector users are going to have to deal with rather than 'depth' in clean and sparse-target settings.

Monte