Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth tests

D&P-OR

Can somebody do an air & in-ground depth test of the GBSE 2.9 (29er) versus the G2 and give us a (precise) report?---A test in which everything is equal (as much as possible).---If you can't do an in-ground test, we'll GLADLY settle for an air test on those two detectors.---Test both detectors on say a clad dime first (and whatever else you want)------There has been statements that the 29er is hotter (deeper) than the G2.----It would be very interesting to find out if that is true (or not) from a "controlled" test.-------Mark, ya out there???-----This would be a good one for you to do! :thumbup:------I hope SOMEBODY will do it.------------Del

Del, I just tested a clad dime on both and I get a solid tone at 9" with both the G2 & GBSE 29. A nickle is a different story, they both get it a 11 inches. I have found deep relics with both of them in the 10-12 inch range, BUT to be honest, I think they ARE hotter on lower conductors and not as hot on silver............Mark

Interesting stuff. It seems weird, but I seem to get equal, if not just a tad bit MORE, depth in the ground, as compared to an air test, with my GB DP (Pro with 11" DD coil). I expected it to do worse in the ground, than in an air test. NOT so!! Also, I get MUCH more depth in all metals mode. It is striking -- worth some testing by anyone who is interested in max depth with this machine -- as much as 2-3" deeper on many targets in all metals vs. disc mode.

Anyway, in DISC mode, I forget for sure if I can hit the 10" dime with the GB in my test garden, but I think I can; I hit a 10" quarter easily. The 12" quarter gives only an occasional peep, at best, in disc mode; hits EASILY in all metals. I could only get 11 to 11 1/2" in a air test on a quarter, so it is not MUCH deeper in the ground, but maybe by 1/2" or so. I'm just amazed air test and in-ground performance is even EQUAL. My 12" nickel, I believe, hits easily in disc mode, too. My machine, and my test garden, are both new, so that's why I'm not giving more certain results here. I haven't done enough testing in my garden, as I have not "watered it" yet so haven't wanted to do anything too detailed. I will water it, and then run the machine through the garden tomorrow or Wednesday, and get some more certain results. I don't have a GB SE 29er, so I can't do that part of the test...but I haven't seen or heard any specific test results with a 29er that have been DEEPER than these numbers (though I have heard anecdotal comments that the 29ers may have been "hotter.")

While the ground conditions will be different and thus not a "fair" test, it would be interesting to hear if can anyone with a GB 29er running in DISC mode hit a carefully-measured test bed quarter deeper than 12". For me, in 58-60 ground phase, 1-2 bars on the Fe3O4 meter, iron-oxide-stained red clay, that's the very fringe depth I get on the quarter -- not even a diggable tone. Like I said though, it's CLEARLY diggable, no question, in all-metals mode.

Steve

Someone on another site pulled the face plate off of a g2 and showed pictures of the circuit board. The g2 circuit board had gold bug printed on it. Don't think you will find much difference other than cosmetics.

kai_gold said:
Someone on another site pulled the face plate off of a g2 and showed pictures of the circuit board. The g2 circuit board had gold bug printed on it. Don't think you will find much difference other than cosmetics.
Yeah, that was Keith Southern.---You're probably right on your statement about mostly cosmetics.-----Was just trying to see if there was any grounds to a couple of statements being made about the 29er being the "hottest" of the two.

G2 in Disc. Mode, Disc. set to 32, Gain 100, Ground Phase for my soil is 44-48, Fe304 - no bars.

Air Test - 11" DD coil

1c____9 1/2"
5c____12"
10c___9 1/2"
25c___11"
50c___11 1/2"
1.00___12 1/2"

Air Test - 5" DD coil

1c____7 1/2"
5c____9 1/2"
10c___7 1/2"
25c___8 1/2"
50c___9"
1.00___9 1/2"

In a test garden (sandy loam type soil) I use clad dimes

11" Coil - With the above setting - signals on a 8" dime, broken/weak signal on a 9" dime.
All Metal - weak signal on a 10" dime.

5" Coil - With the above setting - signals on a 7" dime. No sound what so ever on 8" dime.
All Metal - weak signal on a 9" dime

morelic55 said:
Del, I just tested a clad dime on both and I get a solid tone at 9" with both the G2 & GBSE 29. A nickle is a different story, they both get it a 11 inches. I have found deep relics with both of them in the 10-12 inch range, BUT to be honest, I think they ARE hotter on lower conductors and not as hot on silver............Mark
Mark------That's what I am getting on a clad dime (air test).-----I air tested (3) G2's (disc mode, of course) and got 9" on the dime---10" on a quarter-----and 12" on a nickel.-----Didn't have a GBSE 2.9 to compare them to but your report is showing they are comparible (at least with your 29er).------Agree completely with you, these machines are hotter on low conductors (which is to be expected at 19 khz).-----They get PRETTY GOOD depth on silver though, not too shabby!-----Where these machines really shine though is in their amazing trash handling abilities (iron riddled sites).---------Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate your responses-----keep 'em coming! :thumbup:----------Del

great info Ron_C -- and very, very close to my air test results with 11" DD coil. Your ground tests on the dime with 11" coil seem about right too -- though I need to check again to confirm. I need to see if I can hit the 10" dime with a weak signal in disc., or only in all-metal mode. Can't remember. I know I hit the 8" dime in disc. mode not problem, as you did. Very close results.

Now, for someone to do the same with the GB SE 29er...

Steve

I do not get anywhere close to those numbers, at least 3 inches less on both coils... been that way since I got it.

CDDZ --

Which model machine do you have -- a Gold Bug SE? If so, then you probably have not had the machine upgrade that was done to fix that issue. I don't know all the details, but I think they offered a fix for those older SEs. You might want to check with someone at Fisher/First Texas.

Steve

Both the G2 and GBSE 29 is I have a .69 cal minie buried at a measured 10". EITHER detector will not find it in disc mode, no matter how I milk it. They will get it with a proper ID in all metal mode, HOWEVER.... BOTH machines have out performed this test in the field, in disc mode. I suspect just being buried longer makes a difference.
I don't really trust test bed & air tests that much. Ground conditions make a big difference in my book........Mark

I looked at my notes and I made a mistake, in Disc. Mode, the Disc. was set to "0" NOT "32" on the tests. The difference is around 1/2" LESS depth when set to "32". Sorry bout that..

great information on this tread!!! I will test by air tonight and see. Then over the weekend I will give some ground testing !! :starwars:

Ken in Georgia said:
great information on this tread!!! I will test by air tonight and see. Then over the weekend I will give some ground testing !! :starwars:
Be looking forward to your report Ken. :thumbup: ---------Del

sgoss66 said:
CDDZ --

Which model machine do you have -- a Gold Bug SE? If so, then you probably have not had the machine upgrade that was done to fix that issue. I don't know all the details, but I think they offered a fix for those older SEs. You might want to check with someone at Fisher/First Texas.

Steve

I have the G2 just over a month old, I thought something was up with it the whole time. Guess I have to stop being lazy and give them a call to get it RMA'd. Is there a way to tell what version I have?

Yes, there is a way to know your version, CDDZ -- but better is an air test. If you are only air testing a quarter to 6", something is wrong -- either the machine, the coil, or one other issue could be EMI or some strange ground condition.

Do you have a place where you have little EMI (preferably not indoors) that you could test your machine? If so, here's what I would do -- set your sens. to max, and air test a quarter -- first in disc. mode with zero disc, then in disc mode with 40 disc, and then in all metal mode (threshold as high as you can run it, with just a mild, not overwhelming hum). Sweep it quickly across the coil, and then more slowly -- to find the best speed. Lay a yardstick down, to get accurate measurements. Then record all those results. If you can't do better than 6-7" on a quarter, something is wrong.

On a Gold Bug, you check the version of software as follows -- turn on the machine, put it in disc mode, and then turn it off. While off, hold down the ground grab/pinpoint button, and turn it on, then release the button. On the Gold Bug, the screen will say "Gold" then "Bug" and then "X", where X is a number -- the software version number. I don't think, though, on the G2, the software version tells you much, as I understand it. They didn't have any "prototype" G2 machines; they weren't release, as I understand it, until the "final" version of the Gold Bug, the Pro, was released. Thus, you should have up-to-date software (at least in terms of any "silver issues" that may have existed with earlier prototype GB SE machines.)

I am no engineer, but your air test that I described above should arm you with some information which will determine if, or if not, to give First Texas a call. I can tell you for a fact that even inside my high EMI house, I air tested a quarter to 11 or 11 1/2" in disc mode, and can hit it at the same depth in the ground (even deeper in all-metals mode; this is on my Gold Bug DP with 11" DD coil -- should be an identical machine to your G2).

These are really impressive, well-performing machines. I'd hate to think you have a unit with a substantial problem, and think "that's the best these things can do..."

Steve

Well, I'm Done and this is an air test. And only an air test.

5 inch coil
1809 !/2 cent 9"
Minnie Ball 7"
1/2 Half Dollar 8"
Mercury Dime 7"
Seated Dime 6 1/2"
Sliver Nickel 6 1/2"
Buffalo (clad) Nickel 8 1/4 "

Now I was able to run on it Disc Mode , 100 Gain, Not Ground balanced

11 inch Coil

1809 1/2 cent 9 3/4
Minnie Ball 9"