Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth with stock coil??

coin pirate

I've read numerous threads where people are buying or WTB a larger coil for more depth, I'm confused here, I thought the E-Trac was already a fairly deep seeker, for example, my Safari will make me dig 12" plus in my yard and its full of trash with the stock 11" Pro Coil, yet i read where one person had a clean area an was looking at 8-9"

I'm just about less than 12 hrs from pulling the trigger on my first E-Trac, and will be selling my Explorer XS and Safari....should I be keeping one of them??

What depth do you get with fairly good repeatable results, and stability depth? (using stock coil)

All coils all silver air test.PNG
Here is what I am getting in my air test. Can't say about in your dirt except for the targets I tested it will be less air testing.
Ron in WV

Different dirt = different depths, just wanting a generalization

Awesome numbers on that Pro coil Ron, what I was kinda expecting, even if air test, I get similar in my dirt(Salem WV)

A couple of weeks and found with 8x6 coil a metal part off a drum set it was about the size of a quarter, the metal was not rusty but I am pretty sure it wasn't silver. It was right at 9" in the ground, I called my brother over and let him put his detector on the target and then we dug it together thinking we had a silver quarter so we got the glint in the bottom of hole and used the PPer to get the depth. The stock 11" coil will do better than that but for the most part where I hunt the trash knocks it out and the same goes for the 13" ultimate.

I can say the E-Trac seems to like silver coins.

Ron in WV

A couple of weeks and found with 8x6 coil a metal part off a drum set it was about the size of a quarter, the metal was not rusty but I am pretty sure it wasn't silver. It was right at 9" in the ground, I called my brother over and let him put his detector on the target and then we dug it together thinking we had a silver quarter so we got the glint in the bottom of hole and used the PPer to get the depth. The stock 11" coil will do better than that but for the most part where I hunt the trash knocks it out and the same goes for the 13" ultimate.

I can say the E-Trac seems to like silver coins.

Ron in WV

Is that 13" ultimate more stable then the stock 11"?

As far as I can tell it is about as stable and it's only problem is in the trash. When I run it I set the manual sensitivity to 27. I could run it at max 30 but it reaches max air testing depth at 27.
That little 5" coil is my most unstable coil.

Ron in WV

As far as I can tell it is about as stable and it's only problem is in the trash. When I run it I set the manual sensitivity to 27. I could run it at max 30 but it reaches max air testing depth at 27.
That little 5" coil is my most unstable coil.

Ron in WV

Is it worth having one in your arsenal, or is the 11" Pro coil good enough, I saw the increase in depth on your air test sheet, but I would only want to spend the money on one if it was more stable as far as target ID, not so concerned with additional depth, if the E-Trac will have you digging as deep as my Safari, its plenty deep enough.

Just pulled the trigger on my almost new E-trac today with X-1 Sunray probe

If my 5" was to go bad I don't think I would replace it. When I first got the E-Trac I used the 5" as a training coil even though at that time I wouldn't have called it that.

The 8x6 butterfly coil is the best all around coil I have tried, small enough to replace the 5" and large enough to give the stock 11" a run for the money.

Good luck with your new to you E-Trac.

Ron in WV

If my 5" was to go bad I don't think I would replace it. When I first got the E-Trac I used the 5" as a training coil even though at that time I wouldn't have called it that.

The 8x6 butterfly coil is the best all around coil I have tried, small enough to replace the 5" and large enough to give the stock 11" a run for the money.

Good luck with your new to you E-Trac.

Ron in WV
Thanks, I was actually talking about the 13" ultimate

Ron is exactly spot on with what he said. The Ultimate coil is very good, a little deeper than the 11" but it does struggle more in trash. He is right about the 6 x 8 coil. If you hunt in any kind of trash get a 6 x 8. I have 2 ultimate and 2 Pro coils right now. I use the Ultimate coils. In trash my favorite coil is the older 6" EQ2 coil that Kelly Co used to sell.

The 13" is a really good coil but I don't get a lot of good out of it because of the trash. So for now it spends a lot of time in the coil bag next to the 11" stock coil.
So in order of what I like to use.
1st, up the 8x6 butterfly coil ;)
2nd, up the stock 11" coil
3rd, up the 13" ultimate coil, not used much
4th, up the 5" used a lot early on but hardly ever used these days

The 13" coil has opposite reviews depending on where you go, some say they'll never take it off and use the Pro coil again, claiming better separation in trash, more stable TID's, no warble etc, then some say not as good in trash as the Pro coil.
I know there's no 1 coil that's a do it all, funny how different soil, people's technique, settings all play so many factors.
Well....I pulled the trigger on a used white 13" Ultimate coil, I know a lot of people prefer the black, but I kinda like the contrast to the ground. I think my "Trash" coil will probably be a Sunray X-8, small enough for my needs.
Thanks everyone.

Oh, and I do love the Pro Coil, bastard makes me dig 12"+ regularly on my Safari

Last edited:
There is also the nel tornado 12 x 13....I have the 12 x15 sef...the ultimate 13....the 6 x 8 sef....the pro 11...and a 5 inch....I never remove the tornado from mine.....ever

I heard the Tornado was a bit on the heavy side, There's plenty of coil choices, I don't want too many, 2 really with the original as a backup should a coil fail. I'm not after everything, just a hobby coin hunter getting some exercise.

Jeff, Didn't you just post an Ultimate white coil for sale at that other site, and about 20 dollars cheaper than I just paid for mine dang-nab-it

Jeff, Didn't you just post an Ultimate white coil for sale at that other site, and about 20 dollars cheaper than I just paid for mine dang-nab-it
Yes I did, I have a lot of coils.
You need another? This one is a good one. Years ago I bought a new one from the big K and had to send it back. It would only air test a dime to 7 inches. I have had several since with no problems.

Yes I did, I have a lot of coils.
You need another? This one is a good one. Years ago I bought a new one from the big K and had to send it back. It would only air test a dime to 7 inches. I have had several since with no problems.
yes and no, depends on how fast I sell my Explorer and whether or not I keep or sell the Safari, the one I bought is for the Etrac, so might be a while, also my Etrac is coming with the X-1, which is why I stopped short of buying yours, but, if i keep the Safari .... time will tell

The ultimate was my favorite for years but when I got the tornado, which mine is no heavier than the ultimate, and it hit coins loud and clear that the ultimate just squeaked on I was convinced....