Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detech 13" Ultimate DD coil for White's V3i

shafer44

Ok, one of my metal detecting buddies got the Detech 13" Ultimate coils for White's. He loaned it to me the other day for me to try out on my V3i. I basically was hunting a vacant lot that had just been mowed and I have hunted it many times before. I had my coin and jewelry program modified to accept all from 0 to +93, with settings of 6/55/75. What I was seeing was that sometimes when I found a target, I would swing out to the side, pull the trigger and try to pinpoint. I am set on VCO, so normally you get the ramping up of the sound until it maximizes over the target. What I was finding was that sometimes, and it is hard to describe, but it was kind of like a blahhhhhh type sound instead of the ramping up sound. I would then release the trigger, go over the target again and repeat, sometime it would do the same thing and then I would turn 90 degrees and try it again. I never did figure out what was happening and usually ended up just moving the coil back and forth until I basically pinpointed as good as I could without using pinpoint. The ground has a LOT of trash, with rusted old beer caps, can slaw from where they mowed and various other trash targets. I tried as good as I could to at least scrape any visible trash away from where I was trying to pinpoint.

Is the blahhhhh sound a overload audio? (large target) Did you dig the target and if so, what was it?

I was digging everything. I think it was alum. Trash. And no it was not the overload sound. Actually, it was more like the pinpoint sound when you have ratchet turned on, but it was not...VCO was

I haven't experienced that with mine. Very strange. I've been testing out the Ultimate Coil, and can't believe how stable my machine is running. I was at 14/65/80, and my V3i was just humming along. I literally felt like I was raking in the coins. I also found a very nice silver necklace and ring. I can't wait to get back out with it! This will be my new go to coil for parks, and fields.

I've had something similar happen to me with my MXT. Like you, hunting very junky ground - each sweep of the coil sounds like Morse Code! Sometimes I get a good target hit - nice high tone - and after making a few passes over the target from a couple different directions to be sure of the location I lift the coil, squeeze in the trigger, and lower it back to the target spot to pin-point, and I get . . . nothing, nada, not a peep, crickets! When this happens the visual display reads 12" which I think is the max the MXT recognizes. I haven't finished reading Jeff Foster's book on the MXT yet, but I've seen in the part I have read, a couple possible explanations for this. 1) it could be a GB problem (I generally work in "lock") . . . apparantly, iron can make the all-metal threshold blank out (salt causes a dramatic increase) -or- 2) maybe I'm trying to PP in one of the coils "dead spots" which he claims exist in every coil type and prevent detection at a certain depth and location relative to the coil center. This has happened to me using both the 9" spider and the 5.3" eclipse so maybe it isn't that particular coil you are using.

Big mystery and a huge annoyance for me - I hope somebody has an answer.

-pete

after more detecting, I had another strange thing happen with a kind of delayed very low tone after I passed over a good VDI reading target. I would sweep back over the area and the very low or ghost type tone would not return. Then I would continue searching and it would do it again. This along with the pinpointing not making the normal ramping up sound that I am used to hearing made me dig deeper into finding out what was happening. One of my friends suggested turning off modulation, so I looked in my expert settings and it was on, so I turned it off. I still got the weird tone. Then I told one of my friends that I really could not figure it out and all was the same as it was for the last few months when I remembered I changed the channel for the wireless headphones. I changed the channel back to channel 4 where they were set originally and the weird tone seems to be gone and the pinpointing is back like it used to be. I talked to a White's technician and told him what was happening and he agreed that the channel that I changed to could be having some issue due to emi or something else. I don't believe it is emi, unless it only affects that one channel, but I do believe the one channel for whatever reason does cause weird things on my V3i.
Anyway, I am back to channel 4, the detector seems to be back acting like it used to. I do want to point out that with the "bad channel for me", the 4x6 and 6x10 coils had the ghost tone, but the pinpoint ramping up sound was normal. Now, back on 4, all the coils along with my 10' DD all work fine with no ghost signal and pinpoint ramping up like it is supposed to do.

Good, now as far as modulation it should be on your live controls under search audio. Very seldom should you need to go to the expert menu except the program section. That is if you have the live controls set up.