Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detech 15" DD GPX sprial coil, very impressed.

Old California

Recently, Ordered the new Detech 15" DD sprial coil for relic hunting. Although I'm not a big coil fan and already have several larger coils for my GPX 5000, this new coil from Detech looked promising.

Took it out the other day at a pounded site, pulled out a few musket balls and one button and these were down deep. Other than the weight, I like it still very sensitive to the tinest finds.

So its a keeper, will be my cleanup coil when my other coils can't penetrate deeper.

Also, My hats off to you guys swinging the 15" coil on your GPZ 7000 models and GPX. How you continue to swing these larger coils amaze me.

HH, Paul

i1d1k9.jpg

That does seem to be a very good coil from Detech,love the way that you have grafted the GPX onto the XP Deus shaft that looks a really nice Rig that you have produced.

Hello Mega,

Yes, that is a Deus shaft. Really like the feel of this setup and it collapses down.

Use vecro straps so the stafts can collapse down, the push GB button even follows the shaft when collapsed.

Take care,
Paul

2rf7ptx.jpg

Here's the collasped setup, the vecro straps allow the coil cable to slide away as the stafts are collasped.

HH, Paul

2v93ih2.jpg

Paul,i have a spare Deus shaft that i have never used and thinking about seeing if i can graft my Whites TDI control box onto the shaft in a similar way that you have,your setup really does look superb.

That would work Rick, TDI on a Deus shaft would be a neat setup.

And enjoy your Christmas time off, good time to complete the TDI/Deus setup :)

HH, Paul

Thanks for the report Paul. I'm thinking of trying one out myself but it weighs as much as the 18" Commander DD. I have used the 15x12 before and didn't care for the weight or clumsiness feel of it. I was relieved to go back to the stock 11" after using the larger coil for a full day.

Thanks for the report Paul. I'm thinking of trying one out myself but it weighs as much as the 18" Commander DD. I have used the 15x12 before and didn't care for the weight or clumsiness feel of it. I was relieved to go back to the stock 11" after using the larger coil for a full day.

HH,

Walt

Can anyone confirm that the 15" Ultimate is deeper on relic sized targets than the 18" DD Commander coil as they claim?

Hello Walt,

I've never tried an 18" DD coil on my GPX, hopefully someone can chime in with depth comparisons between the 15" DD Sprial and 18" DD.

I hear you on the weight, just today ordered a hip stick from the inventor. From what I learned from hipstick users on the internet is it works! So today, Called the inventor and ordered one. If you need his phone number zip me a pm, you'll need a hipstick if you get the 15" DD Sprial.

From what I've read, the 15" DD Sprial is heavy due to the extra wire. What little time spent on the coil really like it allot, just need to get the hipstick then I'll be one happy camper.

Do have five other coils, couple of larger and three smaller but the 15" DD Sprial will be my main larger coil for deep relics. Have a couple of 11" coils and the smaller 10" x 5" Comander DD, although it's small it punches deep for relic hunting.

Thanks and I feel you'll like the Sprial coil, just get the hipstick you'll need it!
Paul

All,

I have the 18" DD Coil. I will try to go out and test it next weekend. I am curious about that 15" coil. What settings on your GPX work best for you to hit relics? I would also like to push the GPZ head to head on relics.. Curious on what is a good setting for that as well.

B~

I had a 15x12 DD that I used a few times relic hunting. I was using the bungee and had battery mounted in back of harness. I was on a hillside for about 1/2 a day and was so worn out I went back and got the 11" stock coil. I then found an iron patch and was able to pick a schenkel fuse out of all the iron. It was not even 8" deep and had been passed over by dozens that day. I'm not a huge fan of big coils either, but some areas you about have to use one since all the easy, shallow targets are picked out. I wonder if using a smaller 5x10 would be the ticket to find more relics that are masked rather than deep?

Hello Fletch,

I have the 15" x 12" DD too, but yet to compare it against the 15" DD Sprial. I may compare them someday. Do look so forward to getting the Hip Stick, should be here next week.

I was using the 10" x 5" DD today at an area full of iron, the ground is slightly mineralized VLF can't get depth here especially in the area of iron due to masking.

Hands down the 10" x 5" DD Comander coil is the best coil for these type of conditions, better separation getting in-between the iron such a joy to use. Even the 11" DD does a decent job with separation but not quite as good as the 10" x 5" DD Comander.

Also, Was experimenting with the Hi-Trash feature in the same area full of iron. Noticed it lost depth with Hi-Trash but was able to Max out Gain to 20. I know sounds crazy but this brought back some of the loss on depth, think in going to like Hi-Trash for certain conditions. ...Still, with Hi-Trash the GPX was still able to hit most of my test bed of coins the deepest was a faint signal at 11" inches. These coins are buried at the same site, so testing are auctal results from mineralized dirt.

Without Hi-Trash and using normal the 10" X 5" DD will punch down to 12" inches on both a nickel or penny, I'm using Relic & Coin timing. I know 12" inches doesn't sound deep to many but in tough dirt and getting a signal between iron that is deep for a 10" x 5" DD coil, No VLF can get these type of depth results in this dirt except for the Blisstool v6, but that's for Coin size objects anything smaller masking effects sensitivity on smaller targets. PI is the way to go, gets both small and larger targets at any depth.

It takes allot of time for a Pi user to get familiar with using a good PI in iron, from experience of using many pi's the GPX is my favorite. Sure the ATX is good too but the constant iron check quickly takes the joy of the hunt away, ATX has it's place just not in thick iron the GPX has me spoiled.

Have so much to earn with my GPX, have many old sites to revisit with the GPX :)

HH, Paul

Hello B,

I use Relic & Coin timing, depending on the area Gain between 10-15 with 15" coil. Also have the audio inverted, Can't quite remember the term for it but my high conductive audio is high low vs. Low high, have it reversed. However, When using Custom for Hi-Trash noticed I lost the reverse audio? But, Still dig it all and that's how my audio is set, high low for high conductive low high for low conductive...and use the highest setting on iron discrimination, need it especially in thick iron.

Started to experiment with Hi-Trash today, although I'm still learning this feature see a need for it for certain conditions.

Still, have so much to learn and enjoying every moment :)

HH, Paul

Just a side comment. Nearly all the Diggin In Virginia (DIV) participants are using PI detectors these days, for the same reasons. VLF detectors just are not cutting it in the worst soils, and the GPX is the machine of choice.

Steve, yes that is primarily my intended use for relics in bad VA soil. I have been to 2 of these hunts and had a 4800 on one and a TDI Pro on the other. I did fairly well each time but will say the TDI definitely is no GPX but will get you in the ballpark over a VLF. I used a CTX for just a brief minute and tried to pick up a few 3 ringers I just barely buried 4-5" deep. I quickly went back to the TDI after the CTX wouldn't enem make a peep on them! (GB was on too!)

Paul, I took a look at the hipstick on YouTube. It basically is doing the same thing as the Minelab Proswing harness arm. I'm pretty sure that arm will fit into a GPX harness, but not certain. I do remember it snaps into a socket in the Proswing. I never liked wearing a harness much and will be experimenting with a control cover that mounts battery on side control and a longer shaft to extend box and battery further back. (Similar to rear mounting the Excalibur to give it neutral balance).

Fletch88 said:
Steve, yes that is primarily my intended use for relics in bad VA soil. I have been to 2 of these hunts and had a 4800 on one and a TDI Pro on the other. I did fairly well each time but will say the TDI definitely is no GPX but will get you in the ballpark over a VLF. I used a CTX for just a brief minute and tried to pick up a few 3 ringers I just barely buried 4-5" deep. I quickly went back to the TDI after the CTX wouldn't enem make a peep on them! (GB was on too!)

Kind of scary what happens to even the best VLF detectors in real bad ground. Most people simply will not believe it unless they see it. My ground here in Reno is similar with coins becoming near undetectable deeper than 5". What is really fun is seeing shallow coins clearly identified as a ferrous target by a VLF. The only good news about it is that it means a remarkable number of good finds remain to be made by those willing to go to extremes with the technology.

The TDI is a real bang for the buck machine, no doubt about it.

So true Steve,

Today, was forced to use Pi's out in open areas my VLF couldn't get decent depth. But in trashy sites that's were VLF are untouchable, maybe someday we'll see a PI that can do both.

HH, Paul

Thanks Fletch for sharing, ok I'll see how the hip stick works out.

Anything is better than leaving it stock, thanks again.
Paul