Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detech Ultimate 13″ DD on F70

FWest

This coil was delivered Thursday. Have only "tested" in my iron infested back yard. My F70 came with the 10" elliptical concentric. I do not have any issues with the stock coil but takes a long time to cover open ground.

I am mainly searching for old coins at farms and old home sites. Most of the soil around here ground balances 75-80. Anyone tried this coil ? Found any goodies at depth ? Found a setting that works well ? Tips or suggestions on it's use ?

Thanks, FWest.

FWest said:
This coil was delivered Thursday. Have only "tested" in my iron infested back yard. My F70 came with the 10" elliptical concentric. I do not have any issues with the stock coil but takes a long time to cover open ground.

I am mainly searching for old coins at farms and old home sites. Most of the soil around here ground balances 75-80. Anyone tried this coil ? Found any goodies at depth ? Found a setting that works well ? Tips or suggestions on it's use ?

Thanks, FWest.

I have used the 11" DD on mine, got very deep and covers area well.
I recently got a Nel Sharpshooter coil and that is a smaller one but it also works great.
I never thought I would be into aftermarket coils but after the Nel I am becoming one for one big reason...it seems quieter than the factory coils and that is very helpful.
Nels and other coil manufacturers seem to have a different mindset about shielding so maybe your new coil will be the same.

You have pretty hot ground plus if you have to deal with lots of regular iron the F70 can handle it with any coil but some are better than others and the settings you use do too.
In iron infested sites I use all metal with the sense and thresh about maxed, DE is faster and better for picking through iron but SL works too but you need to move the coil slow.
I also use Disc on 0 or 1, monotone and gain pretty high with the thresh as high as I can stand it...noise wise.
If you are coin shooting another way I do it is disc maxed, gain and thresh way up there, maybe notch nickels in too.

Others use 0 disc and 3 tones...a lot of ways to hunt with this thing and everyone finds their favorite.

I can tell you that this one up averages like crazy around iron so if your mineralization is iron based like mine here in the SE. or you have iron infested sites dont expect targets to come in normally.
The deeper targets are the higher the numbers will go....here even nickels past 4-5" come in like silver dollars.

Lots of info here about the Fishers, I have written a ton about several ways I have used mine.

Up-averaging
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2322233,page=1

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2372790

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2346907,2346907#msg-2346907

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2351519,2351519#msg-2351519

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2378302,2378324

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2296414

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2306599

I don't have an F70 (not yet anyway) but I do have the Ultimate for my F19 and F5. I like it a lot. I found many goodies with it mainly at the beach. I find it a tad more difficult to pinpoint accurately than the 11 DD but that has been the case for me with any bigger coil. I cut bigger plugs.

It goes deeper than the 11 DD but it's a tad heavier and doesn't separate quite so well which might not be an issue on farm fields. Mine is more prone to EMI than the 11 DD and I have to dial down sensitivity on my F5 often when I use it. It's never a problem on my F19.

I think you will like it.

Thanks for the info. I went out yesterday for it's trial run. Within thirty seconds from putting the coil on the ground I had a quarter. I did not fool with the settings much beyond the ground grab. Ran it at 75 sens, disc 15, thresh -1 4H tones. Had a bit to say while standing still but once you get swinging it quiets down for the most part.

I did find some deeper wheats at 8+inches , a couple nickles 1947,1942 and some relics like a button, old cigy rolling device and what looks like the worlds smallest candle stick. So no high value targets but lots of fun for me.

Revier, your findings are very helpful. I have read most of your posts as I try and learn all I can about this F70. Thanks for consolidating your posts. Nice to have them in one place as I refer to them repeatedly. I need to put the time in to see what works for my area but you have taken most of the guess work out of it.

dfmike, I can see what you mean about pinpointing, I'm about 75% when it comes to finding the target in the first plug. Most of the time it seems to line up with the molded detech emblem in front of the rod.

Thank you both for taking the time to post. I do like the coil and hope to get out again today after getting some chores done. I have a lot to learn but you guys make it easier.

We did the work, spent the time doing trial and error, you try what you like till you hit on what works for you the best in your dirt.
Not many wrong ways to use this thing but many different right ways.
Now go out and find you some treasure!

I forgot to mention that in addition to the pinpointing function on the detector, I use a cross pattern above the target to locate it. I do that with bigger coils only. The initial pinpointing gets me close but I find that with the Ultimate, the target tends to be anywhere along the center plastic part of the coil vertically either up, down or right in the middle. I wiggle the coil above the target and pull the coil towards me. Once there is no more sound from the detector, the target is usually just in front the coil where the sound fades or dies down. In other words, the pinpointing gets me centered and the wiggle tells me exactly where the target is on the vertical axis. Some use this method to identify bottle caps as well and it works for me.

I never have to do this with the 11 DD. The pinpointing alone is enough.

I have been using the U13 for open areas and farm fields and the added coverage it provides. In my test plot it is a little deeper than the stock 11" Coil. I've only had my F75 LTD about 9 months and it is a great tool. As for the U13 coils, I've had one on my V3i for maybe 2 years for fields. I liked it a bit more than my 12x10 SEF (which is a keeper but weighs more). I picked up one for my ATPro because they work, and are lighter than some stock coils. There is no question it ID's targets at greater depth than stock, on average almost 2" more "punch". I don't have any negatives to report re the U13 for the sites I use it on.
My 2¢.
HH - Bruce

dfmike said:
I don't have an F70 (not yet anyway) but I do have the Ultimate for my F19 and F5. I like it a lot. I found many goodies with it mainly at the beach. I find it a tad more difficult to pinpoint accurately than the 11 DD but that has been the case for me with any bigger coil. I cut bigger plugs.

It goes deeper than the 11 DD but it's a tad heavier and doesn't separate quite so well which might not be an issue on farm fields. Mine is more prone to EMI than the 11 DD and I have to dial down sensitivity on my F5 often when I use it. It's never a problem on my F19.

I think you will like it.

I use the 13" Ultimate on a different brand detector. It does really really good in trash.
I listen for a difference in iron trash and know something of higher conductivity is down there.
Then I use the very tip of the 13" coil to see right where that coin is. I pull the coil back just
a little till the hit is gone then slowly move forward and wiggle back and forth just a hair to hear it.
I know that's right where that coin is and don't need to use the pinpointer.