Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting gold ring in surf question

Stogger

Does anyone have a feel for if or not a gold ring will still be within detection depth after 2 weeks in surf?

Thanks, Mike

I really can’t think of any reason why it couldn’t be detected. Great experiment idea though. Tides and current has to have an effect but to what extent I would only be guessing.

Stogger said:
Does anyone have a feel for if or not a gold ring will still be within detection depth after 2 weeks in surf?

Thanks, Mike

LOL, how long is a piece of string?

Its absolutely impossible to answer. How deep is the sand? Has sand moved out? Has sand moved in? Has current or storm moved it? Tests conducted by curious detectorists have shown that even heavy gold rings can be moved surprisingly fast.

yeah, thats a tough one.
check your wind and wave patterns over the days past, if its been gentle then youd be fairly stable. But you know how the soft sand with water can sink your feet so a coin would sink into it as well. Also, check if there is any hard pan or clay below. The ring could settle onto that and stay put.

Well..no find :( . A lady lost her wedding rings at Nags Head, so I drove down and gave it a try. The surf was rough and I could see how this moves the sand in waves! Was able to hit 2 low tides, and was able to search some in the first drop off. But there, the loose sand/shells were deep. Recovery would have been interesting if I actually got a hit.

Dont give up yet. keep checking every time the wind moves the sand around. I have seen a foot of sand moved off and then returned in just a good wind . Best time to hunt beaches, when the wind moves the sand off.

Thanks! She lost it 2 weeks ago. Maybe go back again after surf is much lower (4 1/2 hour drive for me). See "CTX 3030 one tough detector in the rough surf!! ". The sand there is interesting: Sand on top and a shell conglomerate underneath that is hard to shovel through. But when the waves hit, the whole thing moves, sand and shells.