Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting in Germany

Former GI now living in Germany was a constant poster on Coinists old forum so imagine its legal however do not know the specifics. However would be careful as unexploded bombs would make me think twice before I did...

aaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn discretion is the smarter better part of valor. John:tesoro:

Complicated - I believe. Permits required, etc. imhave detected in Denmark, near the German border and the local club has german members who detect only in Denmark because of the difficulty of doing it legally in Germany.

As Dan PA points out, there's many md'rs there. So you would deduce that it "must not be illegal" , eh ?

But humorously, there's been people who've gone asking enough bureaucrats there , with the right combination of phrasing, and gotten various "no's". Imagine their surprise when they find out there's hobbyists there w/o a care in the world. The confusion can stem from public land vs private land. In other words: Any law you *might* find that *appears* dire, could apply to public land . They're "public laws" afterall, eh ? Hence not applying to private land with permission. Eg.: farmers field exactly as they do in the UK all the time, would be outside the scope of laws apply to public land. But with that said, I'm sure you could find some purist archie there to still get his panties in a wad.

I've also read that there's variations of verbiage nuances in the different German states there. So it might depend on exactly which state you were in. But suffice it to say, there's no shortage of hunters there. If you're still skittish, stick to private land (fallow fields of farmers), and I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares less.

lytle78 said:
..... because of the difficulty of doing it legally in Germany.

It must not be THAT "difficult", to do it legally. Because there's scores of md'rs there in Germany.

But on that point, there's even some people posting here in the USA who ..... likewise .... lament that they "can't find any place to detect". They fret and worry themselves to death at each park or sand box they come to, because they found verbiage about "alter", "disturb", "remove", "harvest", "take" and cultural heritage. So I guess in ANY country, if you look long enough and hard enough, and ask enough purist archies, you'd probably just give it up and assume you can't md anywhere.

Since 2013 things have changed dramatically.
The only federal state where metal detecting is allowed is Bavaria ( to my knowledge ). But you have to have permission from the land owner.

In all other federal states the detectorist must own a written digging permission.Had this explained some times in different threads/boards.

Here in nrw only carrying a detector without this permission can cause a fee.

regards

vito said:
Since 2013 things have changed dramatically.
The only federal state where metal detecting is allowed is Bavaria ( to my knowledge ). But you have to have permission from the land owner.

In all other federal states the detectorist must own a written digging permission.Had this explained some times in different threads/boards.

Here in nrw only carrying a detector without this permission can cause a fee.

regards

Ok, but that's not reflecting on "allowed" versus "not allowed". And when you think of it, this "must have permission from the landowner" is sort of self-evident anywhere on the planet. I mean .... gee .... does anyone think they can trespass without permission to detect ? So it's self-evident anywhere (not just Germany) that if you're on someone's private land, it's assumed you have permission. Lest you be "trespassing". So that has no reflection at all on whether or not detecting is allowed in Germany.

As for the 2nd part of your post, that the other places in Germany also allow it on private land, except that the only difference being that the permission "needs to be in writing", I'd be curious to see where that is spelled out. Is it JUST for md'ing ? Or does it apply to any other person on your property for any activity ? Eg.: what if they come to go fishing in your pond ? Or to bird-watch ? Or as a guest to your Thanksgiving party ? Is md'ing set aside as a sole activity for which verbal permission isn't good enough ?

There was also someone on a forum once saying that .... in some certain state in the USA, that verbal permission wasn't legally good enough. That you had to have "written permission". And he even had some verbiage link that seemed to indicate that. Yet the reality is something different I bet, even for that state. If someone tells me "go ahead", then ........... seriously now .... is any federal or state person on someone else's private farm "carding people" for their "written permission" ?

The other members had some good words of advice. I talked to some French men on the beach at Fiumicino, Italy. They said the beach was open, but other places were forbidden. Croatia in unesco areas like Dubrovnik and Trogir, don't even have a metal detector in your possession! I guess the same would go for Germany? I know a guy in Croatia goes where he wants and tells me don't even try to Metal detect. He says his people takes care of him and he can do things I can't. Being a local you know what you can get away with. Same here. I "heard of a national park ranger" that had his friends watched so he could detect the park area at night. " I just heard that" Not sure if is true. Long time ago. Not sure who told me? A Cajun friend in 1974 told me the same thing about doing things in Southern Louisiana. I don't look Cajun and talk it, so don't try it. As an American you will stand out. Be careful. They know who you are and they can take advantage of you. I have more stories, but it is already too long. Oh yea, I left my detector at home. I really was too busy with friends to detect any way.

Hello Tom.
You're correct, even fishing is not allowed without fishing card from the administration.

But back to detecting.
Even if you are the owner of the property and want to do some detecting you HAVE TO GET the "license for digging" from the Obere Bauaufsichtsbehörde.
Since the law changed in 2013 you're also doing illegal if you*re removing old flagging on YOUR property without permission from the administration.

But what do I know.
Come here and dig.... but don't be surprized when the cops show up claiming your stuff and giving you a 50.000 € ticket. lOl

Tom_in_CA said:
Ok, but that's not reflecting on "allowed" versus "not allowed". And when you think of it, this "must have permission from the landowner" is sort of self-evident anywhere on the planet. I mean .... gee .... does anyone think they can trespass without permission to detect ? So it's self-evident anywhere (not just Germany) that if you're on someone's private land, it's assumed you have permission. Lest you be "trespassing". So that has no reflection at all on whether or not detecting is allowed in Germany.

As for the 2nd part of your post, that the other places in Germany also allow it on private land, except that the only difference being that the permission "needs to be in writing", I'd be curious to see where that is spelled out. Is it JUST for md'ing ? Or does it apply to any other person on your property for any activity ? Eg.: what if they come to go fishing in your pond ? Or to bird-watch ? Or as a guest to your Thanksgiving party ? Is md'ing set aside as a sole activity for which verbal permission isn't good enough ?

There was also someone on a forum once saying that .... in some certain state in the USA, that verbal permission wasn't legally good enough. That you had to have "written permission". And he even had some verbiage link that seemed to indicate that. Yet the reality is something different I bet, even for that state. If someone tells me "go ahead", then ........... seriously now .... is any federal or state person on someone else's private farm "carding people" for their "written permission" ?

Forget to mention...
if your vacation will be at the North Sea or the Baltic Sea I'd do some beach detecting as the beaches are disturbed ground.

What ever - have a happy vacation.

Doc Holliday said:
Going to Germany next summer, does anyone know about the metal detecting laws over there?

There's a guy on YouTube from Germany. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5khWMz1Stm4wTl0gaJo3A/featured His video's are pretty good. Lot's of Roman stuff.