Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting wet vs dry ground

It has been well established that most modern detectors get a little more depth in very moist soils verses very dry soils on isolated targets.Mix in very heavy concentrations of trash/iron targets and it can change the outcome......

Also soils of very high mineral content may not be the same as light to moderate mineral laden soils.

Ray-Mo. said:
It has been well established that most modern detectors get a little more depth in very moist soils verses very dry soils on isolated targets.Mix in very heavy concentrations of trash/iron targets and it can change the outcome......

Also soils of very high mineral content may not be the same as light to moderate mineral laden soils.

You are saying that rain might help more in mineralized and junky soil than at a terrific site? If so, it seems like it helps in a noticeable way in those conditions to me too.

I haven't my E-Trac that long. But I feel it does better in loose or moist soil. I hunted a campground that had dry Adobe soil. And took nothing deeper than 4 inches. But at the bay/beach, I was detecting at the cut where sand and bay mud meet and found targets deeper than 6 inches.

The_Machine said:
I haven't my E-Trac that long. But I feel it does better in loose or moist soil. I hunted a campground that had dry Adobe soil. And took nothing deeper than 4 inches. But at the bay/beach, I was detecting at the cut where sand and bay mud meet and found targets deeper than 6 inches.

Adobe sounds similar to red clay, and probably has a lot of salts accumulated in it considering it is in the desert.

Most sands are basically glass which is made of silicon dioxide as is quartz, so that would probably be some of the least mineralized "soil" you will ever detect in, save maybe wood chips or air.

I found a quarter under 12 inches of playground pea gravel which is also composed of quartz, in that case quartz rounded into pebbles in a river or stream.

Also keep in mind, that very hard, dense soil is likely to have only shallow coins. Dense grounds are not likely to have a lot of accumulation or disturbance that will bury objects deeper.